Need some feedback f/2009 FZ-6 owners.

westmask

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all.I'm a day or so away from buying my first FZ-6.I love everything I've read about it so far,My only sticking point is the weight.Do to knee problems,the lighter the better at stoplights or while in any non- moving situation.My last bike was a Duc Monster.Excellant low seating osition for my height & also lighter than the FZ.You folks that have owned FZ's [particularly the 2009 new leftover model I'm looking at],how do you like it's balance in these types of situation ? I'm only 5'9". There are some other bikes [ even w/bigger motor's ] that weigh in less.I just love the lines,specs & price I have available to me on this bike. My Ducati was great in every area, but low speed chugging.With my Physical limitations,it just became a detriment in the city traffic I often encountered.Before I drop the $'s,I'd like to get some 1st hand opinions.Unfortunately,the dealers in this area don't let you do test rides.All opinions will be appreciated. westmasK

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all.I'm a day or so away from buying my first FZ-6.I love everything I've read about it so far,My only sticking point is the weight.Do to knee problems,the lighter the better at stoplights or while in any non- moving situation.My last bike was a Duc Monster.Excellant low seating osition for my height & also lighter than the FZ.You folks that have owned FZ's [particularly the 2009 new leftover model I'm looking at],how do you like it's balance in these types of situation ? I'm only 5'9". There are some other bikes [ even w/bigger motor's ] that weigh in less.I just love the lines,specs & price I have available to me on this bike. My Ducati was great in every area, but low speed chugging.With my Physical limitations,it just became a detriment in the city traffic I often encountered.Before I drop the $'s,I'd like to get some 1st hand opinions.Unfortunately,the dealers in this area don't let you do test rides.All opinions will be appreciated. westmasK

Well, I'm 6'1" and my left knee is torn to bits from playing basketball and I've been riding my FZ6 for about 20 months now and on long rides my knee gets really stiff. No problems for me in city or stop and go traffic cause my legs are so long. When stopped I can stand flat footed on both feet and still have room to bend or rock the bike between my legs. In fact, this is a welcome break on long rides.

I think it will be a problem for you if you can't flat foot it on both sides possibly. Also, as long as it doesn't get to the point of no recovery (where you can't muscle it back upright from a lean) you may be safe. However, not knowing the exact condition of your knee problem it's hard to guesstimate how you would fair on the FZ6.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
i'll chime in first. The fz can feel very top heavy at slow speeds with a topped off fuel tank. But its very manuverable once you spend some time in the saddle with it at slow speeds. Its going to be a different animal than the monster for sure at first. Center of gravity is high, though it corners very well. I feel the weight is evenly distributed due to its longer wheelbase, big positive. Doesnt feel like a huge brick between your legs either, like some ss bikes. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Good luck.

phil737

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel like I should comment as a 5'10" guy that had a 2007 Duc SR1000 Monster before I bought my 2009 FZ6. The Duc was so fun, but just to go for a putt. The FZ6 is much more versatile and WAY more stable. It's still fun in the mountains, but a very capable freeway machine also. I have no problems at my height with it in traffic. It's more "civilized" all-around. As nextfriday said, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Good luck!

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
5'9 too. I can put both feet on the ground at a stop without any adjusents to the bike. I do not find the bike very heavy (I only have had the bike for less than a month, brand new 2009). This is my first bike and I'm very happy I got it.

I was practicing initially with my friend's Suzuki GSX650 which I find heavier towards the front (harder on sharp turns).

The dealer I got the bike from did not have an FZ6 but an FZ1, heavier and bigger, but it was my reference before I got the FZ6.

As I said before, I'm very happy I got the FZ6

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
5'9" here and I've never had any problems with the height or the weight. my previous bike was a Ninja 250, lower and lighter, but the transition to the FZ6 was seamless. It is a great all around bike.