Need some advice(fz6 purchase)

sapna

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, first post here.

Basically I've wanted an fz6 for the past 6 years and I'm finally in a position to buy. I'm still looking for a good deal though. I found a 2007 fz6(red) on craigslist for $5500 and it seems the owner would be willing to let it go for $4800. I'm going to go see the bike tomorrow and take it on a short test drive. I've never ridden an fz6 or any bike over 250 cc so I'm not sure how it'll go.

Anyways, do you guys think it's a good deal for $4800? The listing says it's "like new" with 2500 miles. Looks like it's in good condition too judging from the pictures. Also what (maintenance) questions should I ask him? What maintenance should have been done on the bike up to this point?

Thanks for the input guys!

W

wrightme43

Yeah man its a fine deal if the bike is clean. Pay the man and go ride.

You may get a bit more if you haggle him down, but its a good deal in my mind.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn this is great deal man. I paid for mine $4800 for an 05 with 9900 miles last year from the dealer tho. This is a bargain price man. I wish this came along when I was looking into getting mine. Get it.:rockon:

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
It sounds like a great deal, man. I had a difficult time finding a red 07 in my area, so kudos to you. Just check it over when you go to see it. Check the tires, brakes, etc. Also, I had never ridden an FZ6 before I went to pick mine up, and you have nothing to worry about. It's really gentle and won't bite ;)

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
ok... so you COULD buy it... but if you wanna save more, you might wanna wait till winter to buy. Then again, you will miss out on riding this summer. I'd rather commit ritualistic japanese suicide than do that. But i'm JUST saying...

KG

But yeah, that's a good price. I'm not calling you out or anything jfandrews, but I call shannanigans on that 4999 new price though... no offense. On second thought, I guess it is possible if a dealer was advertising 4999 as a loss leader in the hopes that they can pull the old bait and switch.

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
Yeah, if $4999 was an OTD price, that means the dealer was losing a LOT of money on that bike. That and you are one lucky bastage. :)

Sapna, If I were you, I wouldn't wait. That price or a tiny bit lower is a great price, no matter what time of year. Even though the economy stinks right now, people are still buying these gently used Fizzers left and right. I know that for a fact, because when I was searching for mine in February, they were selling out from under me constantly and I missed some great opportunities. I am very happy with the one I got, though!

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a good price for an FZ6 with that many miles. A deal like that around here doesn't stay around very long. I would ask him/her what recent service was done (oil changes, chain lube, tire pressure, etc). Check the tires, make sure there's air and some tread life left on them (though, with the low mileage and assuming the tires are stock and the rider is not doing burn outs, there's probably hardly any wear at all). Look at the brake/clutch lever, upper fairings, shift/brake pedals and crank case cover for damage from a tip over or crash. Also start the engine and let it warm up. Check for radiator fan operation. Once coolant temp reaches around 214 F, the fan should kick on. Roll the bike back and forth while grabbing the brakes to test them out. Pull the clutch and make sure it works smoothly. Lastly, check out all the lights and make sure they all work. I think thats it. Good luck with the purchase.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking at 3 FZ6 for my buddy
07 Red (10K miles) - seller ready at $4K
07 Red (1.5K miles) - seller ready at $4.2K
08 Black, 2 Bro CF with fender and side pod damage (1.8K miles) - seller ready at $4.2K

Just for your reference.

FZ6Firefighter5

Reaction score
Visit site
I think thats at pretty good deal... i mean as long as the bike has been kept shiney side up that is... the fz6 is the easiest bike i have ever ridden... good luck to ya