Need help on footpegs please!!

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there lovely people of the fz6 forum, i am in dire need of help! It is to do with my footpegs, i recently brought some r6 pegs to replace my worn out rubber ones. They look the part and was dead excited to fit them, the problem is the fitting!!

Hoping some people have had previous experience and can help, here goes:

The left hand side side (gear side) footpeg is the issue. I undone the little split pin underneather the rod that goes thro the middle of the peg and the spring and began to remove the rod. Problem!! the rod will not remove all the way because the "gear changer-shifter" i tryed to remove the one single allen key bold which hold this at is "pivot Point" (where the rod will not pass) but the bolt is old and weak and began to get chewed so i had to stop! any tips?????? do i use lots of WD40 or somehting like and keep trying the bolt or is there another way??

right hand side is no prob just need help here.

Really sorry about long ass speach about it all, sorry if my description is not very accurate, if anyone is willing to help i will try to explain a little more if it needs explaing. sorry no pics had no camera on me.

Hope to hear somehting soon

Dan

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
With any nut or bolt that looks even slightly suspect,I always soak it in penetrating fluid.
I've had to many round off or chew up like yours not to make it a habit.In fact I should have shares in WD40 :D
soak it for a few hours and if it's too badly chewed,then clamp it with mole grips or try and give it a short hit with an impact driver.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Hm... I guess I'm having trouble understanding. You just need to get the shift rod off right? I've done that many times.

Here's what I have now (shift rod on outside of frame but still same connections)

4254425110_ce6b8b9b66_b.jpg

Where on the picture are you having issues?

The shift rod is held on by threads on either side of it. You must first loosen two hex nuts on either side of it so you can twist the shift rod; you twist enough and shift rod will come off.

I hope you didn't strip anything yet. If the hex nuts get stripped, I think a sharp vise grips can get them loose because they are supposed to only be tightened to (I think) about 10 ft-lb.

Does that help?

Dennis

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there, yea i am gonna soak it tomoz and see what happens, and yea that pic makes it easier to explain, the red circle i put on is where the bolt of the peg will not pass until removed. the blue ones are in perfect condition and i had them off today but still need to remove the red one for it to work, i will strip out the whole unit tomoz in the day light as i was doing it as it was getting dark and i will soak it and try my luck again but the red circle is the one that has began to get chewed up so i will be carefull and have mole grips at hand to help with the removal :thumbup: thanks a treat guys this helps, will let you know how it goes

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I'm no help on that one -- I never removed that.

It looks like an allen bolt -- my only advice is ensure you get that allen wrench deep in there and be sure it's really in there before turning (I've heard folks say use a wooden or rubber mallet) -- these stupid allen bolts like to strip.

Good luck tomorrow.

Dennis

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey i finially got the R6 pegs on there :) took some work but got it done, they were sitting a bit dopey at first tho, but i sorted it all out and i will post some pics when the weather is a little better. they looks far better and feel better than the original ones :) thanks for help