Need help, meter doesnt turn on

richusn

Reaction score
Visit site
So to sum up the story, I was riding my bike, cruising around 45mph and with out notice the the engine shuts off and my bikes comes to a stop...took it back to my buddy's place...Check the battery getting 12-14 volts, I did notice the signal lights work and show up on the cluster (meter ) but the bike won't start and neither will the meter go through the start up process...I'm stuck. I I've been looking Around the gas tank for loose connectors...check the bAttery connections and everything seems fine...does anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks for the help Richard

2008 fz6 7k

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the first thing that comes to mind is the kill switch might be faulty. Apparently they are not "super" robust.
If you, or a previous owner use/d the switch as a means of turning off the bike, internal components could have worn out.
I havn't done it to mine, but you can by-pass the switch or permanently short it across the two wire so the circuit can't be switched to "open".
Others may be able to help with a "how to..."
sory thats all I can think of, off the top of my head..
Good Luck

richusn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, bro...I am the third owner..owned the bike for about three months now...and I've used the kill switch every time to turn the bike off lol when riding...I just don't get how the kill switch can come into play where the meter doesn't cycle through the start up cycle and doesn't turn on? But the lights work as well as the hazards

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, bro...I am the third owner..owned the bike for about three months now...and I've used the kill switch every time to turn the bike off lol when riding...I just don't get how the kill switch can come into play where the meter doesn't cycle through the start up cycle and doesn't turn on? But the lights work as well as the hazards

It can cause a short which stops the cycling and priming of the fuel pump.
When my switch went bad I had complete power loss including instrument cluster display. Its very easy to bypass the switch to check this.

Neil:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Edit: re-reading you're saying the cluster works but is just not going through the start up check sequence and prime, Go by what everyone has previously posted ^^^^^

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With my kill switch (red switch) turned to the off or stop position, when I turn on the key, the dash cycles up, fuel pump DOES NOT PRIME..(kick stand down)

Your saying your dash doesn't cycle either (tack sweep, etc)???

Last edited:

richusn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply guys...I checked the fuses,
But not sure if the relays in the back at the end of seat on the clutch side are ok..all fuses checked good...I also disconnected the ecu and plugged it back in...hit reset on the cluster...disconnected and reconnected the battery..and still the meter doesn't light up except for the turn signals...I will try and jumper it today and post up my results

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply guys...I checked the fuses,
But not sure if the relays in the back at the end of seat on the clutch side are ok..all fuses checked good...I also disconnected the ecu and plugged it back in...hit reset on the cluster...disconnected and reconnected the battery..and still the meter doesn't light up except for the turn signals...I will try and jumper it today and post up my results

If the meter functions are not working with a dead bike and you've tested the fuses with an ohm meter, not just visually, then I would think a wire came loos from the bottom of the ignition switch or an open wire in the harness.

richusn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys...I feel stupid, but I swore up and down I checked the fuses...I have a fuse tester with a led light..I ran through it twice while troubleshooting...i bypassed the switch already, and nothing happen so I checked the fuse and the ignition was popped..so now the bike is as good as new...I'm soldering the wires for now till I order a new switch from the net...thanks for everyone's help...I really appreciate it..Richard

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys...I feel stupid, but I swore up and down I checked the fuses...I have a fuse tester with a led light..I ran through it twice while troubleshooting...i bypassed the switch already, and nothing happen so I checked the fuse and the ignition was popped..so now the bike is as good as new...I'm soldering the wires for now till I order a new switch from the net...thanks for everyone's help...I really appreciate it..Richard

Which wires mate?

Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk