Need Advise: Buying a crashed 08 fz6 with engine knock?

borka

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I am new here, and thinking of buying my first Yamaha :)

previously i have owned an 03 zx636, 01 F4i, ninja 500, and a Suzuki DRZ400SM. so im not new to bikes; but right now i am leaning towards the fz6 because i dont want a racer, but i want a comfortable performance bike that will keep up with my friends on sport bikes and be able to do the occasional track day.

So i found an 08 fz6, that was crashed after a 12 oclock wheeley gone bad.

The guy had frame sliders so there was no damage to major parts and the engine looks unscuffed.

BUT: when i looked at the bike, the engine was knocking pretty loudly at idle and the knocking speed increases with the throttle, so if i gas it up, it will knock faster.

what could this be? should i take the risk and hope its repairable?

If i need to change the engine, what year engines will fit the 08 fz6 with no mods?

I am a handy person, but i never opened up an engine before.

thanks in advance.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
How loud is this knocking? .................. could be that the crank has broken at the alternator in the impact. Could also be main or big end bearings trashed due to lack of lubrication if the bike was left on its side with the motor running.

I'd walk away from it very quickly and find a better one..

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the above statement. There are plenty of good used FZ6s that haven't been crashed for a very decent price for sale. Just don't even take the chance IMO. Will probably save you money in the end.

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
You can find a lot of reasonably priced ones, especially with winter just around the corner. I would wait it out and see what shows up, people are always looking to get rid of bikes just before winter. Craigslist is awesome

borka

Reaction score
Visit site
How loud is this knocking? .................. could be that the crank has broken at the alternator in the impact. Could also be main or big end bearings trashed due to lack of lubrication if the bike was left on its side with the motor running.

I'd walk away from it very quickly and find a better one..

The knocking is not very loud and standing 5 feet from the bike while idle, is audiable. but when crutched next to the engine the knock is very distinct.

When the owner rode the bike up his driveway, you could definetly hear the knock, and it was faster/louder as he was gassing the bike.

The thing is, a decent fz6 would run about 3.5k-4.5k and i can have this one for $1500. so event if it needs engine work or replacement i think i would come out on top.

What year fz6 engines will fit directly on an 08?

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
Even at $1500 I think you should walk away from the deal. An engine will likely cost you $1000 or more, and then you need to go through the effort (or expense) to install the engine. My bet is that you could pick up a decent used FZ6 for $3500 or less and be riding next week instead of wrenching....

Last edited:

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
Even at $1500 I think you should walk away from the deal. An engine will likely cost you $1000 or more, and then you need to go through the effort (or expense) to install the engine. My bet is that you could pick up a decent used FZ6 for $3500 or less and be riding next week instead of wrenching....

What he said. Exactly.