Naked/Streetfighter or Front Faired for FE, Comfort, and Cost

Torq_Shep

Reaction score
Visit site
I have hunted around a bit and I have a few questions about going naked. The bike I picked up does not have any of the original fairings as it has been dropped a few times, however, I am not sold on going naked.

This is going to be my new commuter bike (currently on an old Suzuki "Dual Sport" dirt bike). I am thinking that the front fairing will make my colder rides a fair bit nicer during the winter, and that my fuel economy will be just a hair better. However, I am not sure if it is worth the cost to buy all of the front fairings and such instead of just buying a new headlight and some other universal stuff.

Any opinions?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The front fairing sucks. It directs turbulent air at your head. It provides no protection from the elements. Removing my fairing was the best decision I could have made for this bike, otherwise I was selling it. Seriously, it was like getting punched in the helmet riding it. Now, nice smooth and quiet air.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say this is highly individual, for example I am 180 cm and the air hits me at the top of my shoulders leaving the full wind blast hitting my helmet - however I don't experience any turbulence in spite of that.
I've had two helmets since buying the Fazer and with both had no problem with turbulence, and having switched from a naked bike the fairing felt like a NIIICE improvement over the two winters I rode through so far on the Fazer.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'1" (185cm), so it's not a height thing. I do think it could be an S1 v S2 thing though. The S1 has horrible aerodynamics. I believe that the S2 has improved airflow.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is an S1 :D - interesting how two people can have an opposite subjective impression (and I'm not saying mine is the "correct" one, not by far).
I honestly don't feel much difference in wind noise when I tuck my head under the screen, I do always wear earplugs on the open road so that may be the reason.

Going back to the opening post - yes, the fairing will make a difference in the winter, as for the wind noise, you may want to wait for a third opinion :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can get heated gear for a lot less money than it'll cost you to turn the bike back into fairing version. It'll keep you way warmer than the fairing and it can also be used on any motorcycle, going forward.
No matter how good the screen is on FZ6, naked setup will always win when it comes to noise / turbulence.
However, if your commute is mostly highway and the speed is in 70s, I'd rather have a fairing version with a good screen.

Torq_Shep

Reaction score
Visit site
You can get heated gear for a lot less money than it'll cost you to turn the bike back into fairing version. It'll keep you way warmer than the fairing and it can also be used on any motorcycle, going forward.
No matter how good the screen is on FZ6, naked setup will always win when it comes to noise / turbulence.
However, if your commute is mostly highway and the speed is in 70s, I'd rather have a fairing version with a good screen.

It is actually almost all city... Which sucks but ehh I live relatively close to work. I do use the bike a fair bit for errands that involve freeway driving though.

I have over 50k miles on "naked" motorcycles and maybe 1k miles or less on faired bikes. Mostly curious on peoples' opinions. The one thing that kills me on bikes is that below 50F the windchill starts to sting a bit, and above 100F forcing more air over your body does nothing for the heat... I always figured a faired motorcycle would be more comfortable but I hated the idea of having to pull fairings off to fix things.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is actually almost all city... Which sucks but ehh I live relatively close to work. I do use the bike a fair bit for errands that involve freeway driving though.

I have over 50k miles on "naked" motorcycles and maybe 1k miles or less on faired bikes. Mostly curious on peoples' opinions. The one thing that kills me on bikes is that below 50F the windchill starts to sting a bit, and above 100F forcing more air over your body does nothing for the heat... I always figured a faired motorcycle would be more comfortable but I hated the idea of having to pull fairings off to fix things.

Actually, once it's over 98F, the faster you go the HOTTER it gets. Like a blow dryer. Heated gear is better than a fairing and I use mine when it's 50 or below. Why be miserable? lol

Torq_Shep

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, once it's over 98F, the faster you go the HOTTER it gets. Like a blow dryer. Heated gear is better than a fairing and I use mine when it's 50 or below. Why be miserable? lol

Exactly on the heat, it is miserable over 98F. I will look into heated gear and compare the cost. At the moment, pricing out what I would need for this bike it comes out to about $300-$350.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless completely tucked-in, sport bike fairings aren't very comfortable. I don't enjoy riding tucked-in for more than a minute, so it's just not practical for me. If I wanted to be shielded from the cold wind and even light rain, I'd choose a BMW K1600GTL. That fairing works.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless completely tucked-in, sport bike fairings aren't very comfortable. I don't enjoy riding tucked-in for more than a minute, so it's just not practical for me. If I wanted to be shielded from the cold wind and even light rain, I'd choose a BMW K1600GTL. That fairing works.

lol yeah that's a different animal! However, I remember FZ6 with a tall screen providing a heck of a lot more wind protection than a sport bike like R6.
I've got a VStrom now (pretty much naked, but with a screen) and even with a tall touring screen it still lets loads of wind through.. from the bottom and around the sides. I know it's gonna feel colder than my FJR used to, when the temps drop. Heated jacket FTW!

Torq_Shep

Reaction score
Visit site
lol yeah that's a different animal! However, I remember FZ6 with a tall screen providing a heck of a lot more wind protection than a sport bike like R6.
I've got a VStrom now (pretty much naked, but with a screen) and even with a tall touring screen it still lets loads of wind through.. from the bottom and around the sides. I know it's gonna feel colder than my FJR used to, when the temps drop. Heated jacket FTW!

I wanted a V-Strom TBH but I couldn't pass up the price on the FZ6. Running for $700... Should fit my needs just fine but I will miss my dual sport a little bit when I get rid of it.