Naked FZ6 Idea-photochopped

dangtienanh

Reaction score
Visit site
Naked FZ6 with Duc Monster tail (photochopped)

Hi all,

1st time poster, proud owner of a red 06 here. I've been toying with the idea of a naked FZ6 for a long time but 've never have the skills/tools/financial mean to pull it off. Reading too much about it, on the other hand, has been giving me ideas blue balls.

So I decided to put together an naked FZ6 that is perfect for me, the one that I've been dreaming of in Photoshop just to satisfy my need to see how everything would look put together. I would never be able to do this in near future, but I thought some talented people out there would come across this and think it's cool enough for their time and effort. Also I would like to hear comments and criticisms too, folks, let me know what's feasible and what's not.

My philosophy about this whole naked/streetfighter scene is the more subtle, the better. I've come across many awesome looking bikes that are so over-the-top, lots of attention to details, badass, mean-looking, but aren't the kind of bikes I would personally like to ride. I want something sleek, elegant yet still bears all the naked goodness, you know, still a genuine heads turner, but not the jaw dropping kind. It's the kind of bikes that makes myself spend hours staring at and discover the underlying beauty bits by bits.

Photochop by Anh T. Dang, on Flickr

I'm a big fan of the Ducati Monster, and its rear end. The FZ6 tail with dual exhausts is pretty, but I hate the seat. Also its bulky front end and the tail length totally steal the spot light from this big eye candy - the gas tank, IMO the best looking elements on the bike, and all those frame and engine below it. Taking the fairing off alone makes the bike look a million times better, but then the tail becomes too long and out of place. The bobber seat style again re-focus the attention to the mid-section of the bike, but it's a little too over-the-top for my taste. The Monster seat comes in just perfectly: perfect shape, size and angle. To mount it onto the FZ6 require some drilling, sawing, bending to the very Monster subframe, but that should be simpler IMO than making a sub from scratch with lots of welding and measuring.

The bike's bottom feels a little hollow for my taste right at that exhaust pipes section. That's why I threw in a matching belly pan, again, to refocus the eyes to the mid-section of the bike. Also it creates a virtual curve around the front wheel to make the bike a lot more balanced.

I don't like the look of the rised bar on the FZ6, it's comfortable as hell, but look-wise I think it breaks the flowing aero-dynamic line of the headlight and the gas tank, makes the bike looks a lot older. (Same reason to drop the headlight height, so it flows with the gas tank). I came across a full front-end with clip-ons and USD forks from a R1 and think the golden/bronze looks pretty cool on the red paint. Also the forks are a lot beefier looking.

I got rid of the pillion peg and cut the rear hugger to clean up the rear end. No fender on it at all because I haven't thought of a way to mount the plate without blocking the dual exhaust at all, so still an open call.

Dual underseat exhaust is probably one of the things I love the most about the bike, so I'm not going to get rid of it, but I'd sure shorten it to just the perfect length to compliment the shape of the bike. Very often I would see an FZ6 with custom pipes too long it actually looks bad. Two-bros were just off the top of my head, any other makes would do, but they have to fit nicely under the seat, not poking out half of its length in space. This I assume is possible if we can find a system short enough.

Ohlins shock: just thought it would be nice to upgrade the rear shock to match the front R1 shock.

V-Rod headlight (or any other round headlights, single our dual): classic. I don't really dig the sharp edgy look of modern headlights. Also, must be mounted lower the forks to "flow" with the lines. And to be consistent with my philosophy I ruled out masks/alien headlights altogether.

Sorry about the length, but that should be it. I'd very much like to hear input from you guys. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks really nice with those short exhausts and metallic paint.
And the handlebars.
Like a cafe racer :rolleyes:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks very cool and mostly doable. You'd have to do something else with exhaust.. as pictured rear wheel would hit it on compression.

dangtienanh

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for the comments :)

@Erci: wow I didn't even think about that :D I was most unsure about the exhausts themselves. Maybe smaller pipes? Or pipes that spread sideways like on the monster lol.

I might as well just buy the Monster for the cost of all the mods to make the fz6 look like a Monster :sigh: but in no way would I pick the Monster girly gas tank and trellis frame over the FZ6 muscles.

dangtienanh

Reaction score
Visit site
Super Duke style would work too. But how are we going to pull that off on the FZ6? Apparently anything designed for the FZ6 would be too long.

Aymish

Reaction score
Visit site
what if you went for the quad lazer pipes?
not sure if it would fit with the design though? but they are much thinner.
other wise looks sweet I love the monster rear end!

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Why not look into the triumph street triple as an alternative?

Triumph_street_triple_r.jpg

Just a thought.

dangtienanh

Reaction score
Visit site
wow the Street Triple's rear end looks very close to what I have in mind. Very nice, but I like the FZ6's mid-section better. The swingarm on the ST looks awesome too. This might sound dumb but I'm not a big fan of its signature dual headlight (the old round ones, don't even bother looking at the new style, yuck).

Anyways the reason I made this is because of the very fact that I own a FZ6 right now, and the thrill of chopping off your own bike and turn it to something you like is just sweet, like wearing a tailored suit. You can always find off-the-rack stuff that looks and feels great but somehow you can't make it your own. Not that I'm gonna manufacture a bike for myself from scratch though ;) Thanks guys.

dangtienanh

Reaction score
Visit site
@Aymish: Thanks xD but I personally am not really into the Quad Lazer look :( too ... abundant for my likings. I'm sure there are options just as thin and not as many pipes, two for some reason looks just right.

Aymish

Reaction score
Visit site
@Aymish: Thanks xD but I personally am not really into the Quad Lazer look :( too ... abundant for my likings. I'm sure there are options just as thin and not as many pipes, two for some reason looks just right.

Hey dangtienanh,
yeah I agree I much prefer the two bros over the quad lazer, although is there a scaling problem with the exhaust on the bike or is the exhaust not for the FZ6 because it seems too big? if you know what I mean?

dangtienanh

Reaction score
Visit site
Aymish, the pipes were just some random two bros I pulled off Google and scale it down to my likings, so I have no idea how the real stuff would fit in there :) I did however made it thinner in Photoshop and it doesn't look much different, but probably creates just enough space above the wheel so it don't get hit at compression. Also I love the look of the Two Bros over all other stuff out there for no certain reasons at all.

samlynn37

Reaction score
Visit site
hey dangtienanh, i've just finish converting my 08 this past summer, but the majority of the work was done couple years ago when i first got the bike. i myself is a ducati monster fan (hence the conversion), and the streetfighter look just suits me. anyways, if i were you, i would worry about how to mount the headlight, speedo, turn signals, etc. first before you worry about the exhaust. the wiring and custom parts i made for my bike took so much time and engery!!! i am now thinking to redo all my wiring (better waterproofing, where to route wires, etc..), which i know will take a long long long time.. check out my posts and if you have any questions just ask away.. welcome to the club brother :rockon:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Nice chop with the photo! And as said, its mostly doable.
This site doesn't use user tagging but it'd be nice if it did (@username) to PM members of thread info. . .

dangtienanh

Reaction score
Visit site
samlynn37: I know right? Everywhere I go, people seem to have trouble with mounting speedo, headlight and blinkers. Provided with the tools, time and money apparently any mods could be done. I created this only because I was curious to see how my bike would look like (roughly) with all the things I have in mind. It's gonna be a long time till I can actually bring them to reality. But thanks for the comment, and I see you have V-Rod headlight installed also. Care to post progress photos?

@FinalImpact: thanks :)

samlynn37

Reaction score
Visit site
first of all, i think the v-rod headlight is an exellent choice!!!!:thumbup:
so here are some pictures while doing the conversion. the headlight mount i bought off a vendor here on this forum. dont know if he is still active, but shouldnt be too hard to find out since everyone buys the conversion kit from him. i made some modifications to the mount to make it look cleaner (cut off some unwanted brackets). the kit comes with everything you need, but i only bought the headlight mount. i made the speedo mount and the turn signal mounts from scrap metal, which really wasnt too much work for me. however, i have experimented with the locations of the headlights and turn signals (up, down, in, out, etc...) countless times, and that really took quite some time to accomplish. i would like my headlight to be more in towards the forks like how you had it in your rendering, but the wiring harness was in the way... oh well.....
anyways, good luck to your project and if you have any questions just ask away. i will do my best to help out.