Nail in my brand new tire - Video and photos

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, seems like luck is on my side this month. Lots of great things going in my life - here's the most recent.

This morning riding to class at 6:15am I ran over a nail. I actually had the helmet cam on and recording, so I have it pretty well documented. You can hear the puncture of the nail at about 0:32, and can physically see the nail at about 1:32.

I also snapped a few photos just because I had an hour to kill while somebody came with tire plugs. Ended up plugging the tire and riding it the 2 miles home. I consider myself lucky I didn't have a complete blowout and go down. I'm also lucky it wasn't raining - I've been riding in the rain a lot lately and had it been raining, I'd have really agitated. But, I'm alright so I guess no complaints.

Here's the video and photos if anybody is interested:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9C3d2F1ut0"]Fz6 vs Nail - YouTube[/ame]

View attachment 42606

View attachment 42607

Last edited:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like its sticking out a good bit. Did it damage your tire hugger as well as the tire rotated? I recently got a nail in my tired and it cracked and put a large hole in my hugger. Was extra annoying considering I had put some time into that thing chopping it up, sanding, painting, etc.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
It'll be good to go for the rest of it's life with the plug in there. Usually punctures by something like that wouldn't cause a blow out. If you would have ran over a chunk of metal or something that slashed the tire I'd be a little more worried.:thumbup:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
There really wasn't any damage to the hugger at all - you can see I caught it very early. I only rode about 5 - 10 seconds and that was the time it took me to slow down and pull over.

And yeah that was a question I had then - how safe is it to ride on a plug? I think it was a car plug to be honest - does this make a difference?

Anyway it turned out alright all things considered.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Just make sure its a plug/patch and you shoulld be ok.

That being said, I had a tire on my old Ninja plugged and after around 2k miles the plug popped out on the highway and I lost the rear tire. Not sure how confident I am in those things...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, seems like luck is on my side this month. Lots of great things going in my life - here's the most recent.

This morning riding to class at 6:15am I ran over a nail. I actually had the helmet cam on and recording, so I have it pretty well documented. You can hear the puncture of the nail at about 0:32, and can physically see the nail at about 1:32.

I also snapped a few photos just because I had an hour to kill while somebody came with tire plugs. Ended up plugging the tire and riding it the 2 miles home. I consider myself lucky I didn't have a complete blowout and go down. I'm also lucky it wasn't raining - I've been riding in the rain a lot lately and had it been raining, I'd have really agitated. But, I'm alright so I guess no complaints.

Here's the video and photos if anybody is interested:

Fz6 vs Nail - YouTube

View attachment 42606

View attachment 42607

I keep a little plug kit with CO2 cartridges with my SV for that very scenario. Most of my riding is far away from a place to get a repair kit or a tow.You can make a kit pretty compact to go under seat. I use a screw on type CO2 cartridge with a small 90 degree something like a Red Zeppelin...
When you get to a place with an air pump, get rid of the CO2 gas in the tire a replace with regular air.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXe62Gqpkyc"]Planet Bike Red Zeppelin CO2 Inflator Head Demonstration - YouTube[/ame]

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site

That being said, I had a tire on my old Ninja plugged and after around 2k miles the plug popped out on the highway and I lost the rear tire. Not sure how confident I am in those things...

I second the Plug / Patch on the inside it's the right way to go.

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
There really wasn't any damage to the hugger at all - you can see I caught it very early. I only rode about 5 - 10 seconds and that was the time it took me to slow down and pull over.

And yeah that was a question I had then - how safe is it to ride on a plug? I think it was a car plug to be honest - does this make a difference?

The workmanship has great influence on the performance of the plug and therefore plug is more likely to leak in the future. You need to check the tyre pressure more frequently if you had plug in your tyre.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I know that feel man :( Got a screw in my last PR2 rear after 1500 miles... I've always used those sticky cord type plugs. I've never put more than 1000 miles on one and I usually check the plug as much as possible to make sure it's not moving but I've never had one come out or leak whether it's been inside or outside the tread. Obviously if you've got the cash (or aren't a cheap bastard like myself), replace it for piece of mind.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

+1 on the combo patch / plug: JSG381 - Steelman Tools

The 1/8" plug is what you want.. If it vulcanized correctly, it cannot come out, the patch keeps the plug in the hole. If you see it didn't vulcanize fully it may very well leak air but still won't spit out like a stand alone plug.

Kinda a PIA as you have to remove the tire but a lot cheaper. I put one in the rear tire of my FJR, worked fine, just make sure the inside is nice and smooth.

At least you caught it right away and no other damage/harm was done...

BTW, It appeared as if you were riding pretty much down the middle of the roadway.. I like to ride just very slightly offset of where the cages travel. The middle of the roadway tends to collect grease, nails, screws etc...The front tire tends to pick up crap and kick it up into the path of the rear tire.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, It appeared as if you were riding pretty much down the middle of the roadway.. I like to ride just very slightly offset of where the cages travel. The middle of the roadway tends to collect grease, nails, screws etc...The front tire tends to pick up crap and kick it up into the path of the rear tire.

+1:thumbup:

Also if you are behind other vehicles, it actually makes it easier for you to see whats in front of the road beyond the vehicle that you are following, and at the sametime, making yourself more visilbe to the person you're following since you would be in both their mirrors rather than just the rear view mirror.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
The best repair you can do on a tire is a vulcanizing type repair. Basically the tire is removed then the damaged area is buffed on the inside, then vulcanizing glue is applied. A strip of rubber is pushed into the hole then weaved across the hole from the inside. A vulcanizing tool is used to cook the repair for 10 minutes and then it can be remounted to the rim. Makes for a permanent strength type repair. I don't really trust plugs, they can make their way out at the most inconvenient times.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The best repair you can do on a tire is a vulcanizing type repair. Basically the tire is removed then the damaged area is buffed on the inside, then vulcanizing glue is applied. A strip of rubber is pushed into the hole then weaved across the hole from the inside. A vulcanizing tool is used to cook the repair for 10 minutes and then it can be remounted to the rim. Makes for a permanent strength type repair. I don't really trust plugs, they can make their way out at the most inconvenient times.

The combo patch / plug goes on like a bicycle tube repair but a little more involved.

The tire needs to removed from the wheel and buffed smooth. Glue the tire (just like a bicycle tube), let it dry and pull it thru. Push hard all around the patch, especially the thin edges. You'll know if it took. Trim off the excess sticking out from the tire.

I brought my cordless drill, scruffer, glue, rear wheel, etc to the MC shop and had them pull the tire off the rim.

I repaired my tire in the shade of my SUV, then had them remount it.

BTW, it did need re-balancing, even as small as that patch/plug is...

I would suspect your fix would require more balancing and that's without having a plug fill the hole.

Last edited:

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site

I've got tens of thousands of miles on plugs. Usually the cheapy wal mart ones. Never had an issue with them. But i don't run around at triple digits a lot.

Sent from my iPhone

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I would suspect your fix would require more balancing and that's without having a plug fill the hole.

The amount of rubber used isn't all that much but you still have to balance.

The problem with plugs is that guys do the repair without removing the tire. What damage did the nail do inside? Did it contact the sidewall? Is the liner in the tre still good? Most just don't want to remove the tire because it's inconvenient. Proper tire repair always requires tire removal. :thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm running around on a plugged (rasped, strip cemented and then inserted 2/3 of the way, excess cut off) tire. I recommend adding cement even though it's not required. It's added insurance.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey thank you all for the insight. I wish I'd have gone with the plug/patch but the deed is done and I've gone with a standard plug. I know for next time though at least. Definitely put some rubber cement on there too.

Also I usually do ride offset. I try to keep in just next to the path of the tires a cage would be following -- and will definitely try to make a conscious effort to stay away from the center lane. It just was one of those unfortunate moments that catch you when you least expect. Its just part of riding - prepare the best you can for the unexpected.

I like to think it helps make one a better rider - I definitely keep a pack of plugs under my seat now and am paranoid at every speck or glimmer on the ground, thinking its a nail or something.

Thanks again for the advice - guess its both wheels on the ground for me until I can put a new tire on. :(

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd keep an eye on your plug, don't ride super fast (at least until your comfy with it) and run the tire until its time to change it out IMHO. You can always pull the tire off the rim, pull the plug, then use a combo patch/plug after proper prepping...

We plugged my friends 07 FJR rear tire, under 1,000 miles on it (he ordered a new one so I practiced on flattened tire). It held so well, we put it back on the bike and it stayed on until he sold the bike..

I got the new spare tire when I bought the FZ from him. My local MC guy sold the Bridgestone and I ordered two PRII's for the FZ..

I don't think I'd run the 07 tire with a plug into triple digits, but took the combo patch/plug tire on my last 04 FJR to 144 MPH on the interstate very briefly, no problems...