My wife got her motorcycle temps

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife got her motorcycle temps yesterday and I gave her first parking lot lesson today on the FZ6. No throttle just getting used to feeling the friction point and getting the bike rolling. She did ride around the parking lot a little at 5 mph until she got too slow in a turn and dropped the bike. Glad I haven't fixed any of the things I had planned to fix yet.

Have any of you taught your wives to ride? What experiences have you had?

Planning on getting her a Ninja 250.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats to your wife.....I hope she enrolls in a good class instead of you teaching her. That way there will be no arguements and she'll learn on a smaller bike.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a lady drop her bike on a slow turn in the safety course that I took part in. I think it can be easy for us to forget that bikes are hard to operate for those with no experience on them. Throw a little stress in and they will freeze right up, can happen to any of us really. I'm not sure how I would go about teaching a new rider like that, except for steering them to a motorcycle safety course, something I really think every rider could find benefit from.

It's great though, how fun will it be to ride with your wife, good times ahead!

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mike taught me to ride.

We're still happily married :D

My bikes:
Kawasaki Z250 (16 years ago.... gave up learning, no patience then)
Yamaha DT175 - lots of road learning on that
Honda CBF250
Yamaha FZ6 :D:D:D:D

The Ninja 250 is probably a great choice for her :)

Oh, and congrats to your wife

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all for the advice she's definitely planning to take the MSF course, they're just booked solid this time of year. Figured I could start her out with a few of the basics.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats. I don't think my wife will ever ride. :(

Some basic knowledge before the MSF is nice to have, but not required. It's designed to take someone who has never driven a manual before, to ride-ready.

Does she ride pillion with you? Some demonstrations with her on might help.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck. Holly and I sort of learned together. Neither of us took the beginner MSF course, which I regret. We have both taken the experienced rider course.

Now, my almost-18-year-old daughter is getting the bug. She is eyeballing the CBR250, a very sweet little bike.

Best of luck to your wife. I would also suggest a smaller bike. The Fizzer ain't light. My wife's GS500 is perfect for a beginner, and doesn't need to be replaced as her experience grows.

Joe

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats. I don't think my wife will ever ride. :(

Some basic knowledge before the MSF is nice to have, but not required. It's designed to take someone who has never driven a manual before, to ride-ready.

Does she ride pillion with you? Some demonstrations with her on might help.

She rides pillion but she gets bored. She wants to be in control of her own bike. I do talk about what I'm doing when she rides with me though.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done to your wife for taking first steps, I hope she stays with it.
Defo book some rider training and the 250 will be a great first ride for her.

Neil

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife learned the basics on a Honda 400 attached to an arm so basically she was riding in circles getting the feeling of clutch and pulling off without the worry of falling off. After that she progressed to her FZ400 and has ridden my Fazer but she prefers being on the back and letting me do the work.