My ugly risers

How gay do my risers look?

• Very gay. Get them off now!

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Kinda gay. Buy the straight up risers.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Kinda gay. Buy the genmar-style risers.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Kinda gay. But keep them on if they're comfy.

Votes: 74 48.7%
  • They look great.

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I bought these on ebay because I refuse to pay £60 for a piece of metal with 3 holes drilled in it! I'm not sure if they look crap or not though! The only other up and back risers I could find were these that basically look like the Genmar ones and I'm not a huge fan of the look altogether really.

I'm going to look and see if I can find and straight up risers that are 30mm or more and see how I do with them like these. I don't think they'll be much different to these and will look a lot better.

Anyway, back to the ones I've actually got fitted. They are a lot more comfortable and do bring the bars a lot nearer to me and a bit up. Because of the angle of the stock risers, they bring the bars up and then as they bring it towards the rider, you lose some of the height! Because of the mod I've made to my seat (nearly done and I will document later), I sit further back and need them higher and closer to me. I had to lean a bit more than I wanted to anyway with the stock bars so I was always planning to bring them nearer for comfort - but it's even more important now I sit right at the back of the seat.

Of course, I had to buy some new bolts when I received them as the stock bolts weren't long enough for the part of the riser that goes round the bar and didn't fit inside the riser to bolt it to the yoke. I was expecting this anyway and it's become a bit of a habit to buy new bolts with every mod I do.

The risers don't look too bad as they don't really stand out - but they don't match and I won't keep them forever. I've been trying to think of how to cover them or at least the bolt-heads. I may look for some plastic covers at B&Q or somewhere. I didn't put the stock cover on there as it would look stupid at the angle the risers would put it and also I'm planning on using a mirror bracket to fab up a mount for my GPS that will go in the middle there when I need it.

Here they are in their amazing packaging:-

Here's a closer look at them. Shiny shiny:-

Here you can see them fitted from slightly above:-

How they look from the rider's perspective:-

You basically can't see them from the side:-

Here they are from directly above:-

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not fond of the flames, but it is the function of them that is most important. I think they would look a whole lot better if they matched the rest of the bars. If you paint them or something, maybe you can grind the flames off..

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Flames make you faster, right? :) They look good. :thumbup:

The flames and the chrome are a negative for me really! :rolleyes: They just don't match what I want the bike to look like.

I'm planning on getting the bars etc powder-coated sometime anyway. Maybe if I get the straight-up risers I could fill these ones in with cold-weld and paint them.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Careful ! Flames are like tattoo's once you get one you want more and more,before you know it your bike will look like its been to close to a BBQ ;)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
they are pretty gay as it sits now, but i think that if you took some time to grind the flames off and paint them with the surrounding area it would look good.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As my Command Sergeant Major in Iraq would shout at the top of his lungs; "First Sergeant, that's F%CKING GAY!" In fact it's flaming gay! Dude you need clip ons. Sorry...I will now go away.

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Its your bike man. Its for riding not looking at. LOL

Now those things do look pretty bad though, but then again, I have a crazy homemade welded up speedomount, blue and white motocross hand guards, a goofy looking bar, bar end mirrors, and a giant ugly tank bag.

People driving by work stop, get out of their cars and come look at my bike. I think they just cant figure out WTF it is and they just cant go on untill they understand its some sort of yamaha powered monstrosity.

No one has come in and asked me "For the love of God why man? Why?" or sprinkled holy water on it where I could see them. LOL

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sangar I know what you mean about paying 60 quid for the risers I have them on my bike, it hurt buying them but I hope they are worth it in the end.

On the other hand if you pay cheap, you get cheap, and thats what it looks like you got.

Chrome and flames are for cruisers but I cannot think of a set of cruiser bars that those risers would fit. The fact that they have engraved flames into them does not help you either. All the metalwork around the bars of the FZ6 are smooth so even if you spray them the flames will always stand out like a sore thumb.

It`s your bike and you can put on it whatever pleases your eye, but they wouldn`t get on my bike.

Sometimes you have to dig into your wallet and smile through your teeth...I did.

Steve

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Sangar I know what you mean about paying 60 quid for the risers I have them on my bike, it hurt buying them but I hope they are worth it in the end.

On the other hand if you pay cheap, you get cheap, and thats what it looks like you got.

Chrome and flames are for cruisers but I cannot think of a set of cruiser bars that those risers would fit. The fact that they have engraved flames into them does not help you either. All the metalwork around the bars of the FZ6 are smooth so even if you spray them the flames will always stand out like a sore thumb.

It`s your bike and you can put on it whatever pleases your eye, but they wouldn`t get on my bike.

Sometimes you have to dig into your wallet and smile through your teeth...I did.

Steve

+1 on this one.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
in my opinion, i think the flames are ok, they dont seem to stand out as much as the chrome... as a temp thing until u get the powder coat, i would just see if you can find a flat silver type spray paint and just hit em real quick to take that bright chrome look off of them. other than that, i dont think many people are gonna look close enough to the sides of your bars to see flames, and if they do its not a jaw dropper... but the chrome will stand out pretty good

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest they don't match. But hey man, if this is what you like they stay with it. Most import thing is the function and if you like it. Does it make it go faster...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.