My trip to the tail of the dragon.

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
I went to north carolina this last weekend. We rode the whole 564 miles down there. I went with 3 friends there it was a great time. I didnt see many fz6s there even though it was supposed to be the weekend you all went. The other bikes that went was a 09 triumph daytona 675, a 06 honda cbr 600rr and a 99 honda cbr 600 f4. Only had 2 problems the whole trip the 06 honda hit gaurdrail he is alright and we mended the bike and he rode it the rest of the weekend and the whole way home. The 99 needed a new battery wal-mart is 30 miles away. Other than that it was a great weekend. Here are some pics the rest will be on my MYspace page. myspace.com/andycourson

coursonap-albums-stuff-picture3903-dscn1045.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
How was the police presence? I've heard they've started to patrol there a lot more.

I live in Charlotte, NC and have never made it to Deal's Gap because I've had an R6 for 3 years and was never willing to ride that far uncomfortably. Just got a 2008 FZ6 last week and can't wait to make the trip now.

Are there camping opportunities there too? May as well kill two birds with one stone.

CZAR357

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 More pics! I bet it was a good time. I just heard of this road watching Jason Britton on Superbikes! Something like 313 turns in 12 miles....Lots of fun! Glad your buddy was alright!

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
How was the police presence? I've heard they've started to patrol there a lot more.

I live in Charlotte, NC and have never made it to Deal's Gap because I've had an R6 for 3 years and was never willing to ride that far uncomfortably. Just got a 2008 FZ6 last week and can't wait to make the trip now.

Are there camping opportunities there too? May as well kill two birds with one stone.

Its not the police presence you need to worry about, its all the traffic. Last weekend, saturday, there were 4 head on collisions before noon.

The best time to get runs up the dragon are during the week and late afternoons close to dark on the weekends. Any time before 8 and after 5, which is pretty much when all the photographers leave.

Locals told me that the best time to be out there w/o THP is Monday and Tuesday. Just take my word for it but watch out on 28, they dont mess around on that road. Heavy fines!

-bryan

Oh and no worries on riding the R6 up, its only 250 miles I think from Charlotte to Robbinsville taking 74 to 40 and 19/74 to 129. Myself on the FZ and one of my roommats and a friend both on GSXR 6's rode it with me. Total trip mileage for the weekend was over 1200 miles.

Last edited:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to north carolina this last weekend. We rode the whole 564 miles down there. I went with 3 friends there it was a great time. I didnt see many fz6s there even though it was supposed to be the weekend you all went. The other bikes that went was a 09 triumph daytona 675, a 06 honda cbr 600rr and a 99 honda cbr 600 f4. Only had 2 problems the whole trip the 06 honda hit gaurdrail he is alright and we mended the bike and he rode it the rest of the weekend and the whole way home. The 99 needed a new battery wal-mart is 30 miles away. Other than that it was a great weekend. Here are some pics the rest will be on my MYspace page. myspace.com/andycourson

It looks like a great time.

Right now, in Texas, we settling down to hot, dry windy weather pattern and of course, outside of central Texas...it is pretty flat and boring so your pictures are welcome change from our terrain.

Multiple 100 degree day the next few days.

Fred

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
The next trip to the Dragon you take, drop down into Georgia and hit some of the roads there. Wolf Pen Gap, Blood Mountain, Georgia 60, they're all good. With the exception of taking my son to Deal's Gap his first time last year, to ride the Dragon, I normally skip it. There are too many roads nearby that are much better with a lot less traffic to contend with.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
The next trip to the Dragon you take, drop down into Georgia and hit some of the roads there. Wolf Pen Gap, Blood Mountain, Georgia 60, they're all good. With the exception of taking my son to Deal's Gap his first time last year, to ride the Dragon, I normally skip it. There are too many roads nearby that are much better with a lot less traffic to contend with.

+10000000

-bryan

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
Its not the police presence you need to worry about, its all the traffic. Last weekend, saturday, there were 4 head on collisions before noon.

The best time to get runs up the dragon are during the week and late afternoons close to dark on the weekends. Any time before 8 and after 5, which is pretty much when all the photographers leave.

Locals told me that the best time to be out there w/o THP is Monday and Tuesday. Just take my word for it but watch out on 28, they dont mess around on that road. Heavy fines!

-bryan

Oh and no worries on riding the R6 up, its only 250 miles I think from Charlotte to Robbinsville taking 74 to 40 and 19/74 to 129. Myself on the FZ and one of my roommats and a friend both on GSXR 6's rode it with me. Total trip mileage for the weekend was over 1200 miles.

Good advice! The R6 is gone now allowing my FZ6 to take me up there sometime soon. I can't wait.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Ill shoot you a PM when I get back to Charlotte in August. We (roommate and I)like to get out towards Asheville and such about every other weekend. More than welcome to join.

Where abouts in Charlotte are you? We are in the Harrisburg area, couple miles from the speedway.

-bryan

CaptainCourson

Reaction score
Visit site
hey bro im glad to see u had fun and that ur back in one pice. sorry to hear about ur freinds bike that sucks , its good that he is ok. ill check ur myspace and check out the pic . hey were is the video u said u were gonna do with the vid. cam. mounted on ur bike?