My rear light wobbles

Exfreelander

Reaction score
Visit site
On Friday while putting my bike to bed for the day (I've been on nighshift) I caught the rear light with the back of my hand and noticed it had a bit of a wobble to it, as if the screws had come out.

When I had a look at it with the seat off I found it was screwed in on it's rubber mounts ok, but was still able to move up and down, enough to collide with other parts of the bike's booty, which could cause vibrations and blow the rear light.

Underneath the body of the light, there are two metal clips, which look as if there should be something to clip onto to hold it steady, such as the black plastic moulding which wraps around the exhaust, but the two lugs on this don't appear to come far enough back for the clips to reach.

Is there something missing or broken from my bike or are 'they all like that sir'*?

*Copyright motor salesman's book of brush-offs for avoiding warranty work 1971

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
They're all like that, sir.

It's normal. To help prevent bumps from rattling the bulbs, presumably.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You also only have one light on during low beams unless you have modified the electrics. There are a lot of weird things about the FZ6.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel better already, thanks guys.

It doesn't mean I like it though.................

It's OK not to like it, but don't try to *fix* it. If you hard-mount it, you'll be losing a bulb every week. That was my case with front indicators.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just as a side note, the stock Yamaha tail light bulb, one filement has THREE STALKS supporting one of the filiments (brake I beliieve)

Yes, an 1157 will fit but only has two stalks per filiment (not as sturdy) and the Yamaha bulb is slightly brighter. Its not terribly more expensive either..:thumbup:

Exfreelander

Reaction score
Visit site
You also only have one light on during low beams unless you have modified the electrics. There are a lot of weird things about the FZ6.

And I fixed that.............but the strangest thing is the wiring loom has an H4 to H7 adapter on the left, it can't just have been new legislation arriving just before FZ6 production started as the left headlight moulding will only take the emaller H7 bulb.

Exfreelander

Reaction score
Visit site
It's OK not to like it, but don't try to *fix* it. If you hard-mount it, you'll be losing a bulb every week. That was my case with front indicators.

I wouldn't dream of solid mounting it, I had considered some sort of foam but with all the heat from the exhaust I didn't think it would last long. But it does look like it was meant to be fixed to something using those two clips on the bottom of the light unit.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
your question has already been answered, so this is just to add to your reassurance. the fz 6 taillight is made like that stock on the bikes all over the world. yes i did find it weird at first and i popped the seat off to check the screws, once i saw they were nice and tight i figured it that was how it was meant to be

Exfreelander

Reaction score
Visit site
your question has already been answered, so this is just to add to your reassurance. the fz 6 taillight is made like that stock on the bikes all over the world. yes i did find it weird at first and i popped the seat off to check the screws, once i saw they were nice and tight i figured it that was how it was meant to be

It's been answered, thanks to all for your replies, but it does seem strange, my initial worry was that the shock to the bulb filament caused by the lamp moving up and down is Yamaha's answer to the problem which could be caused - oh no, I'm in a loop here. It's like a dentist telling you to chew on a bag of nails to stop your gums bleeding.

Good job they don't apply the same engineering principle to the headlight then..............

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site
I was led to believe that it's a visual aid, it makes the rear light "dance" for want of a better word and catches the eye of motorists behind you.

Not sure if that's the case though!

Exfreelander

Reaction score
Visit site
I was led to believe that it's a visual aid, it makes the rear light "dance" for want of a better word and catches the eye of motorists behind you.

Not sure if that's the case though!

Interesting idea, will I be riding round in a circle now looking over my shoulder trying to see it wobble I wonder?

Probably not, I had over an hour to look at it while sat waiting for the recovery van to arrive after it broke down on the A1M the other day. No time to find out what it was yet, but it started and ran fine as soon as I got it home.

arkay

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting idea, will I be riding round in a circle now looking over my shoulder trying to see it wobble I wonder?

Probably not, I had over an hour to look at it while sat waiting for the recovery van to arrive after it broke down on the A1M the other day. No time to find out what it was yet, but it started and ran fine as soon as I got it home.

I notice you're just up the road from me, I live in Hardwick.