My next project....a TZR250 3XV?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, am nearly finished my TRX850 project, and have started looking for another project to keep me busy! At first i was looking around at FZR1000 EXUP's, or an FZ750, or FZR750 OWO1, but then i got thinking....2 stroke! Looked at RZ/RD 500's...too expensive, even as basket cases...then RD250's, 350's, 400's, same thing! Plus they are all a bit old for my liking, with crap wheel size's for modern tyre choice, and ancient suspension, etc...

Then i found my target....TZR250 3XV....preferably an SP version....

This is the TZR that Yamaha built with a v twin motor in it, like Kocinski's, 1989 250cc world title winning bike....hardly the same in practise, but same in theory, and layout!

The TZR has about 45ps in OEM Spec, and can be de-restricted to bring that output up to about 56ps.

The TZR has decent quality, fully adjustable suspension, and is renowned for being a sweet handler.

And i think the TZR is a sweet looker!

The only thing is, these bikes are rare as rocking horse poop! Not one for sale on Bikesales.com in Australia! But i have found one....all original, running, but with a crappy "virgin" paint job...at a fairly reasonable price...

Here is what a TZR250 3XV looks like...

View attachment 38447

View attachment 38448

here is the spec sheet...

Yamaha TZR250

I reckon that once restored to "as new", it will be one heck of a sweet ride, collectable, and worth quite a bit to me, in years to come!

Anyone else around here, had any experience with TZR's??? would love to get some input.

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I never knew we had any on these little weapons in Oz :don'tknow: They were seriously fast from what I have heard & im looking forward to your resto :D

Yeah, there aint many around, but they are out there....rare as rocking horsr poop, like i said! Should be an awesome bike when done!

And yes, they are seriously fast! :rockon:

Would still love some feedback from anyone that's owned such a bike.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
My god you are so my hero! They are SOOOO hard to find in canada not being a piece of crap import with wrong parts. First your TRX we can't get in Canada and now this. I envy you, I truly do. I want your garage!!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My god you are so my hero! They are SOOOO hard to find in canada not being a piece of crap import with wrong parts. First your TRX we can't get in Canada and now this. I envy you, I truly do. I want your garage!!

I can spot a classic when i see it, and the v-twin TZR is one such classic! Could not pass this one by....60hp, in a 130kg bike, with fully decent suspenders, chassis, and brakes!

And dont they just look beautiful in the flesh....so focused!

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can spot a classic when i see it, and the v-twin TZR is one such classic! Could not pass this one by....60hp, in a 130kg bike, with fully decent suspenders, chassis, and brakes!

And dont they just look beautiful in the flesh....so focused!

DUDE!! I remember these bikes!! :rockon: :rockon: :BLAA: I WANTED ONE BAD!! and I still DO of course!! I have never seen one in person though I have seen them in magazines and videos and can't remember hearing anything bad about them...... I was looking for a vid of one recently and this was the first vid I found and the SOUNDTRACK IS A SIGN!!! Jamie!! You have to buy and build this bike....... cause it's a Long Way to the Top if You Wanna Rock n Roll !! :rockon: :thumbup: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgSxbgDhXoM]YAMAHA TZR250 3XV FOR SALE LIMASSOL CYPRUS - YouTube[/ame]

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It just goe's to show how lucky we are in the UK for bike choice.
A few of my mates had those and the KR1S which was actually better on the road.

Nelly

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, am nearly finished my TRX850 project, and have started looking for another project to keep me busy! At first i was looking around at FZR1000 EXUP's, or an FZ750, or FZR750 OWO1, but then i got thinking....2 stroke! Looked at RZ/RD 500's...too expensive, even as basket cases...then RD250's, 350's, 400's, same thing! Plus they are all a bit old for my liking, with crap wheel size's for modern tyre choice, and ancient suspension, etc...

Then i found my target....TZR250 3XV....preferably an SP version....

This is the TZR that Yamaha built with a v twin motor in it, like Kocinski's, 1989 250cc world title winning bike....hardly the same in practise, but same in theory, and layout!

The TZR has about 45ps in OEM Spec, and can be de-restricted to bring that output up to about 56ps.

The TZR has decent quality, fully adjustable suspension, and is renowned for being a sweet handler.

And i think the TZR is a sweet looker!

The only thing is, these bikes are rare as rocking horse poop! Not one for sale on Bikesales.com in Australia! But i have found one....all original, running, but with a crappy "virgin" paint job...at a fairly reasonable price...

Here is what a TZR250 3XV looks like...

View attachment 38447

View attachment 38448

here is the spec sheet...

Yamaha TZR250

I reckon that once restored to "as new", it will be one heck of a sweet ride, collectable, and worth quite a bit to me, in years to come!

Anyone else around here, had any experience with TZR's??? would love to get some input.

Great looking bike with decent specs. That's a twin!?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It just goe's to show how lucky we are in the UK for bike choice.
A few of my mates had those and the KR1S which was actually better on the road.

Nelly

The KR1S is a great bike, as is the RGV250, but i am a Yamaha man these days....plus the 3XV is pretty unique....V-twin two stroke...

And yes, You are lucky in the UK, you also have a geat new magazine available over there, which has just gone monthly....Practical Sportsbike's....dedicated to bikes from the 70's, 80's, and 90's....essential reading for the "modern" collector, restorer, fabricator...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
DUDE!! I remember these bikes!! :rockon: :rockon: :BLAA: I WANTED ONE BAD!! and I still DO of course!! I have never seen one in person though I have seen them in magazines and videos and can't remember hearing anything bad about them...... I was looking for a vid of one recently and this was the first vid I found and the SOUNDTRACK IS A SIGN!!! Jamie!! You have to buy and build this bike....... cause it's a Long Way to the Top if You Wanna Rock n Roll !! :rockon: :thumbup: YAMAHA TZR250 3XV FOR SALE LIMASSOL CYPRUS - YouTube

The music the bike, and the boys from acca dacca, is music to my ears....thanks for sharing Donny....dont worry, this build will happen.

:rockon:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
The KR1S is a great bike, as is the RGV250, but i am a Yamaha man these days....plus the 3XV is pretty unique....V-twin two stroke...

And yes, You are lucky in the UK, you also have a geat new magazine available over there, which has just gone monthly....Practical Sportsbike's....dedicated to bikes from the 70's, 80's, and 90's....essential reading for the "modern" collector, restorer, fabricator...

I love this magazine! I only have one issue that I found at a bookstore that was going out of business. It has a whole tutorial about how to sync my carburetors! it also has buying guides and lots of pictures of classic sportbikes. Would be nice if I could easily get a subscription here in the states.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love this magazine! I only have one issue that I found at a bookstore that was going out of business. It has a whole tutorial about how to sync my carburetors! it also has buying guides and lots of pictures of classic sportbikes. Would be nice if I could easily get a subscription here in the states.

Yeah, i sorta fell across this mag, and since my first read, have been hooked! There are a few others around, but this one is easily the best....very much English, but packed full of great info, how to's, etc...It recently went from quarterly to monthly, and has not been watered down as a result...

Was thinking of getting a subscription myself, but have not made enquiries as to whether i can from Australia...

CB YAM

Reaction score
Visit site

hi wolf
man, i also have just bought a tzr250r 3xv, cant wait to get stuck in and restore restore restore!!!!!