My Hazard lights don't work (after LED indicator installation)

Shinleung

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
This is my first post here and I hope someone could help me with my little problem.

After I have installed my Rizoma LED indicator lights (on the rear), when I push the hazard light button, the indicators only flash once and then it stopped.
Even I push it again to turn it off and turn it on again, it wouldn't flash.

Is there anything I could do about it or I just lose the hazard function once I have installed the LEDs?

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you install inline resistors?

Did you change the OEM flasher relay with an electronic flasher relay?

The OEM flasher is current sensitive; LED indicators do not draw enough current without the inline resistors.

Upgrade to a plug-and-play electronic flasher relay and your problems should be over. Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play
makes a nice electronic flasher relay.

FZ6-ZN

Shinleung

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
thank you for the reply and the info.
i have installed the resistor but not the relay and that's probably why.
i will try that, thx.
=)

btw, i would like to ask where is my original relay on a FZ6N?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you install an electronic flasher relay, it generates the time sequence independently with out the need for additional load resistance. Adding load resistors in effect detracts from one of the main advantages of using LED's. I like using the LED's for 2 reasons. Mechanical reliability and reduced power consumption. Adding resistors so that the OEM flasher relay flashes at the correct rate negates one of the most important benefits of LED's. So are the resistors that you have installed inline (series) or are they shunt (parallel) in the circuit? If they're shunt and you install the electronic relay you can remove the shunt resistors and benefit from less load on your system. I know it is momentary duty cycle but non the less...If the resistors are inline (series) leave them in!

Shinleung

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
i think they are in series.
i have the OEM flashers at the front.
the resister is installed at the back only.
just between the stock output and the flashers, one resistor on each rear flasher.
so, i guess i will leave them there?
thanks.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance, but will 1 flasher relay work for both the front and rear turn signals? As far as the bike is concerned, is an integrated tail light treated the same as a taillight and rear signal indicators? I would assume the integrated tail light has the same wires running to it as the stock setup, but I haven't taken it apart yet to find out. I just ordered some LED indicators up front and a Fender Eliminator that doesn't have a spot for mounting rear indicators so I went with an integrated tail light.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Excuse my ignorance, but will 1 flasher relay work for both the front and rear turn signals? As far as the bike is concerned, is an integrated tail light treated the same as a taillight and rear signal indicators? I would assume the integrated tail light has the same wires running to it as the stock setup, but I haven't taken it apart yet to find out. I just ordered some LED indicators up front and a Fender Eliminator that doesn't have a spot for mounting rear indicators so I went with an integrated tail light.

I believe they all work from the one flasher relay. I just purchased and received a plug and play replacement LED flasher unit to replace the OEM flasher relay. Just add this new relay inplace of the OEM one and you should be good to go, without any need for extra load resistors.

Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play

ELFR-1_FULL.jpg

I am completely re-wiring my Watsen LED front signals (removing my relay and load resistor setup) as well as adding in new Rizoma AVIO 21 LED signals on the rear which I just received from PJ's Parts on Monday.

FR021B.jpg

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Pic's and opinions on the Rizoma signals when you get a chance please. I was drooling over those for a while but didn't want to spend the dough. Picked up some cheepo ebay led's for the time being. Probably will get them on later this week/ weekend.

Shinleung

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
View attachment 27521

I think looking good is the reason to get a pair.
As I remember, they were sold in one unit, so, if you need a pair, you will need to get 2.
I haven't had too much of problem with them except one 'plug in' connector was lose but I somehow managed to get it to work.
It might have been my fault that the connector was lose though, not sure.

They came with 2 resistors too. As I remember, according to the instructions, you will need to use 1 resistor for 11W and 2 for 21W originally. I didn't use them because I thought it was too big.