My gear stinks! Should I wash it?!

Should I wash my gear?!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I've had my latest set of riding gear for just over 2 years now. It's Frank Thomas textile and waterproof stuff and pretty good. It's kept me warm and dry in some of the most hideous conditions! However...

It's starting to really stink as I've never washed it! :eek: It's becoming a problem as I am riding to work and showing up in front of clients and I can almost see them wincing! My gloves are the worst by far.

So, something needs to be done right? But the care instructions say wash it with a sponge and a bit of soap. I think it's gone beyond that stage now (plus I really can't be bothered with the hassle), and I'd rather just bung it in the washing machine. Is this gonna trash the waterproofing abilities though?

So what would you do??? Vote away!

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I threw mine in the bath, warm water, and one of those dissolving washing powder thingies. Loads of grot came out so I think it worked. Seems fine now.

Not quite as harsh as a spin cycle, but doesn't take long either.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I like huxy's idea.
My wife uses some kind of 'Pet and Husband Stain and Oder Remover' that she sometimes sprays on me when I come in from a hard days playing in the twisties....:eek: :rof:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if the dry cleaners could get it done without damaging it??? call em and ask... :BLAA: :rockon:

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder if the dry cleaners could get it done without damaging it??? call em and ask... :BLAA: :rockon:

Ah I forgot about the dry clean option! But I've just checked the gear and it says dry cleaning is out as well! I like the bath idea though...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You have to be careful with dry cleaners.
BryanDH had his done at a dry cleaners and they didn't get the chemical completely out of the padded areas. He was on ride and had to cut it short to return home. He ended up with chemical burns and had to go to the hospital.:eek:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Take my advice. Avoid the dry cleaners. Or have a burnt ass like mine. My legs and ass itch today and the skin is peeling off. :BLAA:

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
There are special detergents for Gore-tex and other "membrane textiles" that are used on sailing gear, hunting gear, rain gear and similar. Have you looked into those? You should be able to buy it at your nearest outdoor retail store.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bin it all, and go get some nice new gear...once the smell is "in", no matter what you do, it will come back!

:eek:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Remove your armour and use a front load washing machine on the gentle cycle. Throw in a waterproofing agent and you should be good to go.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Remove your armour and use a front load washing machine on the gentle cycle. Throw in a waterproofing agent and you should be good to go.
I do this a couple times a year, jacket, gloves, and helmet liner, never had a problem. I suggest "joining" any velcro (like the straps on your gloves) or else everything sticks together.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I shower my textile gear down, add a little soap and she comes clean and smells fresh!

Now hate to ask, but how do you clean leather gear (gloves too)? My gloves are a wee bit smelly after two years.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I shower my textile gear down, add a little soap and she comes clean and smells fresh!

Now hate to ask, but how do you clean leather gear (gloves too)? My gloves are a wee bit smelly after two years.

Yes, I was wondering that as my gloves are kangaroo leather on the palms (the Aussies will be happy - a few lees roos jumping out at them!). I guess it's ok to get them wet as they are waterproof gloves, therefore designed to be exposed to the rain. But will it have a bad effect on the leather if I use a mild detergent?

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont mind the looks of gloves... not that this ever caused a problem... Soaked em in water and woolite... Then Turned the oven up and let them dry on the stovetop after a few hours they smell great and they shrink up a little (I stretch out gloves like a F'er...) Then I moisturize my hands and put on the toasty gloves... Go For a Ride... I actually sometimes cook my gloves either way... Its the Kramer Method... :thumbup::thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I was wondering that as my gloves are kangaroo leather on the palms (the Aussies will be happy - a few lees roos jumping out at them!). I guess it's ok to get them wet as they are waterproof gloves, therefore designed to be exposed to the rain. But will it have a bad effect on the leather if I use a mild detergent?
Bees wax from foot locker £4.00 will put the nourishment, suppleness and moisture into any leather.

Nelly

PS Heine Gericke sells Nikwax products that can be used in the washing machine.
My Devon II jacket has been washed 4 times. its 5 years old and still waterproof.