My FZ1 just got a little sister

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL.. sure we can! Cept for the whole illegal thing!

I actually just remembered that I can take it out any time I want! I can take it to one of the MSF ranges where I coach! Closed range (and it's actually 2 ranges side by side, so it's a huge closed off lot) :cheer:

Its only a letter or two off same color. I wont tell if you dont.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks sweet! An 05? Any mods other than the pipe?

PS - in these parts, if you have similar vehicle with full coverage, you have 30 days to license, register and insure it. If you were to call and insure it for bare minimum coverage, the rest you can wing if need be, That said I'd ride it for a bit so you know what you need to work on this winter. Ergo, fluids, tune, etc...

Be safe and just say no to Femur viewing!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks sweet! An 05? Any mods other than the pipe?

PS - in these parts, if you have similar vehicle with full coverage, you have 30 days to license, register and insure it. If you were to call and insure it for bare minimum coverage, the rest you can wing if need be, That said I'd ride it for a bit so you know what you need to work on this winter. Ergo, fluids, tune, etc...

Be safe and just say no to Femur viewing!

Yup, it's an 05. No other mods besides can. NJ law states that title must be transferred within 10 days (done). Insurance and registration are not required if it's not used on the road.

Oregon is actually the only state I know which explicitly specifies that a race or show vehicle can be used on the road within 30 miles of vehicle's garage for testing and can also be ridden to track/show up to 90 miles!! Pretty darn cool.. no such law in NJ, as far as I know. Oregon DMV Racing Activity Vehicles

I did realize that I can ride it at one of my MSF ranges. It's a pretty big, closed-off space (approximately 260 x 300 feet).. should be plenty to give me some ideas.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Insurance not required, but it wouldn't hurt to call up your agent and find out how much to add it to your policy. I know with Dairyland, they have a multi-bike discount, so the cost of me insuring two bikes is literally only a couple bucks more than insuring one. With all the motorcycle thefts lately, adding comprehensive to it might not be a bad idea.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Insurance not required, but it wouldn't hurt to call up your agent and find out how much to add it to your policy. I know with Dairyland, they have a multi-bike discount, so the cost of me insuring two bikes is literally only a couple bucks more than insuring one. With all the motorcycle thefts lately, adding comprehensive to it might not be a bad idea.

I did call and ask. Insurance with relatively low coverage (compared to best coverage possible for my FZ1) is 3 times as much as FZ1!

And while they said they couldn't explicitly see any rules about denying claims if the bike was damaged on the track, they did mention that they couldn't guarantee it would be covered.

Not worth it.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Call rider insuranse and ask for the discount (25%) if no points. My fz6 with full coverage and higher than normal claim limits is like 260 for the year.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Call rider insuranse and ask for the discount (25%) if no points. My fz6 with full coverage and higher than normal claim limits is like 260 for the year.

My FZ1 with full, top of the line coverage is $165 a year.

R6 = sport bike. Highest risk factor, as far as insurance is concerned. No way will anyone insure it for a low price, but most importantly.. why bother if they won't cover it for track use? (I won't be doing the "bring it home, drop it on street and report it" thing).

I could try to call few other companies though and ask where they stand on track use (no timed laps, no racing).

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I knew I'd be replacing tires before 1st track day, so I didn't pay much attention to what's on the bike when I was picking it up (I did point out the dry rut to seller.. to get the price down a bit :D )

Holy cow!! They're both ORIGINAL! Time stamp is from early 05 on both. They're nearly NINE years old!
Ordered a set of Q3s this morning :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tis the wrenching season. Already did loads of work on R6.. just finished pulling fork legs off. Can't wait to smell that 9 year old oil!!

togl.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if you're going for the whole rebuild or just an oil dump. Grab an extra qt to flush with and pump them lots in both upright and inverted to get the sediment out.

Some use cleaners but unless its a complete tear down, cleaners will break down the new fluid if left behind.

Have Fun!

AND -
FI is O/T - brick foundation???

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if you're going for the whole rebuild or just an oil dump. Grab an extra qt to flush with and pump them lots in both upright and inverted to get the sediment out.

Some use cleaners but unless its a complete tear down, cleaners will break down the new fluid if left behind.

Have Fun!

AND -
FI is O/T - brick foundation???

Thanks for the tips, Randy! Foundation is cinderblock. :thumbup: