My four wheeled conundrum

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've had a 2001 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo for almost a year. Last year the clutch went which cost me £700 but since then its been fine (if a little thirsty). 3 weeks ago on the same day:

turbo blew - cost £500 plus installation
windscreen cracked - cost £200
MoT expired - cost £50
Tax expired - cost £120 for 6 months

As I didn't have the time to get all that done I went out and bought a 1991 Mercedes 300TE for £800. The Merc is great but drinks fuel like its going out of fashion.

So now my wife has bought our daughter a Vauxhall Corsa 1.0 and I'm due £3000 from the taxman

My plan is to sell the Merc, use the money to fix the Saab and sell that. Then I'll use the Corsa. Then I'll use the money from the Saab plus the tax money which should come to a total of £4000 on a new car. (Still with me??)

So, what shall I get? I can't decide. I don't want a small car but I also don't want something too old. I'm also travelling a lot at the moment so frugality comes into the equation. Oh, and I need an estate as we have 2 dogs.

My first thoughts are a 2001 BMW 320d estate. Any other ideas. Nothing Japanese or Korean though. Got nothing against them but the image doesn't quite fit. I couldn't imagine me in a Toyota or a Kia

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't close the door on any type of car manufacturer until you at least go and look at them. Auto makers have made a lot of changes in quality and designs in the past few years. You may find the cars you are avoiding are the best value. I would at least spend some time looking before you eliminate anything just because of the brand.

I don't know enough about the car market in Europe to make any other comments.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
man the list of cars I would have if I lived in europe.....maybe narrow down the list some for us. Especially those of us who have no idea what is availible in the EU

Alfa 159, or 159 sportwagon would be on my short list! I know they are a little newer and more expensive but we don't have them in the states.....or anything that looks that good!