My first wheelie!!

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I was out with my g/f tonight enjoying a nice little ride. I always take it easy and just enjoy being out on a nice evening and for 3 hours I must not have gone over 8k rpm.

Closer to my place there's a small stretch of smooth road and we enjoy a little speed before getting back. She loves having a little scare on that stretch and usually expects it. So green light, she wrapped her arms tightly and off we go. Before I knew it my front wheel was off the ground :eek: and after a couple of seconds I just eased off the gas and it went down smoothly. Ddin't really think of what to do but good thing I didn't try to brake of something. I thought the Fz couldn't wheelie with just the throttle?! Must be because of the additional weight on the tail but I was really not expecting it specially given she is petite and light. After touched down, I was thinking holy **** holy **** did I just wheelie? :disapprove: and she was like :cheer:

Anyway I don't intend to do it again even though it was fun. I know many do it regularly but this is my first bike and got into motorcycling last year with the intention of NOT doing reckless stuff, ever. I am reckless but didn't want to be on two wheels. I just know recklessness on two wheels is not a lasting combination. So now I'm :disapprove: then :cheer: then :disapprove: then :cheer: ... <sigh>

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I've throttle wheelied many times, granted its full twist of the throttle do get it. And I've accidentally clutch slip wheelied leaving work. That one scared me as I wasn't expecting it lol

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With the stock gearing, it'll easily wheelie up some (6" in my experiance) once it hits the powerband. Two up, much easier.

My old FJR, two up, at 4k, would power wheelie up (no clutch) in both first AND second gear. (about the same, 6" or so) :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad you didn't crash, Over the years I have spoken to numerous people who would not get into "Biking" because of a ride they have had when the rider was driving to show off and scare them. The responsibility of the rider for their pillions safety cannot be overstated.
Not trying to preach, just giving a different point of view.

Good luck

Neil:thumbup:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I agree. Like I said I take it easy 99% of the time but try to live a little too. No more wheelie though even it is fun.

I'm glad you didn't crash, Over the years I have spoken to numerous people who would not get into "Biking" because of a ride they have had when the rider was driving to show off and scare them. The responsibility of the rider for their pillions safety cannot be overstated.
Not trying to preach, just giving a different point of view.

Good luck

Neil:thumbup: