My 1st FZ6... Have a couple questions...

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
First, let me start off by saying... I LOVE THIS BIKE!!! It's so fun to ride and really just can't stop thinking about it. I get the urge to take it for a ride like every 2 hours :thumbup: . I just bought it a couple days ago for $3,600. It's an 06, and I really wanted an 07 because of all the changes that were made, but who can pass a deal like that up??? The only catch was that the bike had 18,000 miles on it cuz he drove it across the country a couple times, but he took really good care of it... really clean! So I'm really not worried about the miles. Here are some pics... My new 2006 Yamaha FZ6. This is my very first sports type bike (coming from a 1980 honda 400 starter bike) and it really scared the crap out of me the first time I rode it lol... yeah, night and day difference from the honda. But as everyone has said a million times, it really is very easy to ride in the lower RPMs and turns into a beast in the higher RPMs. It's a very attractive bike (the naked/front-fairing look is awesome), and the upright seating is very much a plus for me. I was thinking about an FZ1 but this bike is plenty fast for me and my experience level... maybe in the future.

Second, thanks so much to all those who helped me and responded to my first thread about which is the best year for the FZ6. This site and everyone part of it is an awesome community! From what I read prior to visiting this site, I thought all the models up to 07 had issues. Certainly not the case... again, I love my 06 and how it rides.

Also, wrightme43 would be very please to know that it already came with frame sliders installed ;)

Ok, so my questions...

1. I'm a small guy, 5'6" and 120lbs. Are there any adjustments I can make to the bike to accommodate me better? When I go over bumps, it's not terrible, but would like it to be a little softer.

2. Being that I'm a smaller guy, I don't really fill the seat very much. I feel very comfortable sitting up close to the tank with my legs squeezing it a bit (to take pressure off my wrists when I'm riding). The issue is that when my wife (she's 5'5" and 120ish too) rides on the back and I have to come to a stop, she sometimes falls down into my seat because of the big gap behind me. This can be very distracting and annoying time after time. Again, this is our first experience with a sports bike and this type of seating, so we're adjusting and finding what works. She has tried to squeeze me a little with her legs and also put her hands on the tank to take pressure off me when we come to a stop. Do you guys have any tips for riding 2-up on an FZ6? There was a thread posted about "How to Be a Motorcycle Passenger", but I wanted to see if you guys have any other input.

Sorry that I've written a small book here, but it's very hard not to talk about this bike (especially to you guys) ;). I've wanted a motorcycle since I was 15 and I'm now 25. I just got the honda 2 months ago, so riding a motorcycle is still a very new feeling to me.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
(1) What's your rear shock preload set at? For you I bet 1 or 2 is the best for basic street riding.

(2) You can use your core to keep the weight off your wrists...there should really be no pressure on your hands.

I do a decent amount of 2up. My passenger uses the grab rails (which are EXCELLENT on the FZ6) to hold herself in place and we never bump into each other.

I also have a top-case that doubles as a back-rest for her (also makes her less scared of falling off the back :)).

EDIT - where in IL are you?

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...

I've been looking on craigslist for an FZ6 for the last month. There have been about 7 or so that were posted and sold in my area, but never found a great deal. I live about 45 min. n/w of Chicago. I saw a couple that were pretty good deals in upper Wisconsin but had to drive 4-5 hours to pick them up. When I called the guy to take a look at this bike at it's unbelievable price (just got posted on craigslist that morning), I found that he lived about 3 min. walking distance from my house!!!

...Yeah, I'm thinking it was meant to be :thumbup:

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
congrats on your bike,,it sounds like a good deal,,,its got higher mileage but that looks very well taken care of...
i was going to suggest her holding the gas tank but you have already tried that,,,she wont be coming to your seat like that but i dont know how comfy it is for her to sit on the ride...

Pete aka Hellgate has a corbin seat with a backrest,,,thats something you could consider,,

it is great here,,lots of questions and answers,opinions...

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:
Glad you like the Z so much!
Just to let you know I'm on the small side as well (5'7, 138#) & I don't really have a problem. There are threads on the Forum dealing w/lowering the bike using the Metisse Lowering Kit. Just go to the search function - the guy who has just done that kit install posted pics of doing it. Also, you can work on the seat to try & lower your seating that way. I'm thinking that the seat is sticky enough that your wife shouldn't be sliding into you! PM Chaching (or search again) for info on what he did. Basically it's taking the cover off & digging out the foam underside some to try & settle the seat down a little. I tried it & believe it or not it made it a lot more comfortable, but didn't appreciably lower my seat any. It kinda made me sit in it better tho'! Don't worry about taking out all those staples & wrecking the seat cover - the cover is form fitting & fits back over it like a glove. I haven't even bothered to re-staple it on even.
Also, there is a handlebar riser you can get that raises the bars up 1 inch & back 1 inch. I've done that & I really like it!
Have fun.:rockon:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
1. I'm a small guy, 5'6" and 120lbs. Are there any adjustments I can make to the bike to accommodate me better? When I go over bumps, it's not terrible, but would like it to be a little softer.

2. Being that I'm a smaller guy, I don't really fill the seat very much. I feel very comfortable sitting up close to the tank with my legs squeezing it a bit (to take pressure off my wrists when I'm riding). The issue is that when my wife (she's 5'5" and 120ish too) rides on the back and I have to come to a stop, she sometimes falls down into my seat because of the big gap behind me. This can be very distracting and annoying time after time. Again, this is our first experience with a sports bike and this type of seating, so we're adjusting and finding what works. She has tried to squeeze me a little with her legs and also put her hands on the tank to take pressure off me when we come to a stop. Do you guys have any tips for riding 2-up on an FZ6? There was a thread posted about "How to Be a Motorcycle Passenger", but I wanted to see if you guys have any other input.

Sorry that I've written a small book here, but it's very hard not to talk about this bike (especially to you guys) ;). I've wanted a motorcycle since I was 15 and I'm now 25. I just got the honda 2 months ago, so riding a motorcycle is still a very new feeling to me.

+1 on the rear pre-load and definitely check out some the risers/barbacks (SW-Motech ones from Twistedthrottle.com will give you the best seating position I think).

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
First, let me start off by saying... I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!

Congrats! They are an amazing bike, that's for sure.

tasop7 said:

As previous posters have mentioned, check the setting "number" on your rear shock. I'm 5'8" and 175 lbs. Setting #4 is perfect for me, although I do set it to #5 sometimes if I think I'm going to be some aggressive riding.

tasop said:

Wow. I'm classed as "short", but you two could rent yourselves out to stand on top of wedding cakes. :D (j/k)
Buy your wife a nice pair of leather riding pants....believe me, she will be stuck to the FZ6's seat like a fly to flypaper, and won't slide anywhere.

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. I'm classed as "short", but you two could rent yourselves out to stand on top of wedding cakes. :D (j/k)
Buy your wife a nice pair of leather riding pants....believe me, she will be stuck to the FZ6's seat like a fly to flypaper, and won't slide anywhere.

LOL, thanks! :thumbup: