My 05 tops out at 220 kph?

Hypno-Toad

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 05 FZ6 all stock, it tops out around 220 kph, its a Canadian bike. Is the cat converter slowing it down? It should do 245 kph as far as I have read....

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive had my 05 faster than that...... Its a canadian bike too 9000kms on it... Ive never topped it out thou.... 250 is wayyyy fast enough for me...... What gear wher you in when u topped put and where u redline?

Hypno-Toad

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry for late reply but its got 20k km on it and i was in top gear at about 13k rpm

Umm is the cat conv still on your bike Admin??

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
Winds can definitely be a biggg factor. When the wind is kickin I lose about 10mph at top speed. I also have an 05 and it tops out at 156mph (251kmh). Top gear and rpms are about 1,000 short of redline. It has a TwoBros exhaust but top speed was the same with the stock exhaust.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 05 FZ6 all stock, it tops out around 220 kph, its a Canadian bike. Is the cat converter slowing it down? It should do 245 kph as far as I have read....

Does it really matter?.... keep it up and you're gonna' lose your lic or worse kill yourself. The cat won't slow you down, but a telephone poll will halt your forward progress pretty darn quick. C'mon dude take it easy out there.:)

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

Does it really matter?.... keep it up and you're gonna' lose your lic or worse kill yourself. The cat won't slow you down, but a telephone poll will halt your forward progress pretty darn quick. C'mon dude take it easy out there.:)

To some of us it probably does and if you're going to be up in the triple digits often then you generally have some good gear and a bike that is safe enough to run there for quite some time. The roads I run don't have enough straight areas to get up that far but there is enough room to clear 100mph and often. As far as losing the license goes I would first need to see a cop as they don't come where I go. I know of not one sportbike rider that bought the bike to go the posted speed limit although I would imagine there is one out there some place. As far as the phone poll goes I would have to ask why it was lying across the road.....

So, what I would like to know is what the fastest speed you have ever had your bike to? Have you been over 100mph/161kph

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Does it really matter?....
+1. So what if it dosen't go 245Km/hr? You bought an FZ6...not a Busa! ;)

So, what I would like to know is what the fastest speed you have ever had your bike to? Have you been over 100mph/161kph

I believe we've already had this utterly uselss and pointless topic/poll a while back. Have a search around and you might be able to find it.

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

+1. So what if it dosen't go 245Km/hr? You bought an FZ6...not a Busa! ;)

I believe we've already had this utterly uselss and pointless topic/poll a while back. Have a search around and you might be able to find it.

That's absolutely right and because it's an FZ6 he wants it to go as fast as an FZ6 should go. Now, if you don't want to use your FZ6 for what it was designed to do why not take out or block 5th and 6th gear because they are "useless" if you wish to ride it as a grocery getter and stay at or below 70mph.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Wow, realx Blue. And what is an "FZ6 desinged to do" IYHO persay? I'm sure it wasn't designed to run mid 200Km/hr now was it. What a bike is designed to do and what it can do are two very seperate things. I don't think they deisinged the FZ6 as an all out, 600cc crotch rocket either! If dude is that concerned about getting to 245+km/hr, there are plenty of other 600cc bikes out there 'designed' to do that and more out there that's all.

No one said anything about not needing 5th or 6th gear.

No one said anything about only goning 70km to the grocery store.

Don't be a wadd.

I'm not trying to be an a$$ here Blue, but honsetly, what does sitting here discussing "how fast did you go?" acheive? "Hey I went 180km/hr the other day"...yippie. what's the point? who cares. good for you. you get a cookie. It's about as informative as "Hey, what time did you get up today?".

If you must know I usually average 130km/hr on the highway portion of my trip home every day. So what. I'm sure others go faster, I'm sure others go slower. Some ride the FZ6 to work, some use it to tour, others ride track. And I often go to the grocery store on my FZ6. Fastest 'milk run' in the west man! ;)

Perhaps I should have said if dude is that concerend about his FZ6 not being able to reach it's "listed" top speed, then he should:

a - take it up with his dealer. Perhaps they can shed some light on it.
b - contact Yamaha Canada and see if they built in a govenor or speed limiter of some sort
c - take it to get Dyno'd. That should show, without question, what's it's fully capible of in a 100% safe enviornement!

Keep in mind that "listed" top speeds and other bike 'specs' fall victim to Yamaha's Marketing Department who love to stretch the truth on things. I think the FZ6's fuel capaicity has aslo come into question of what you can actually fit in vs. what the specs/manual state!

Last edited:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, realx Blue. And what is an "FZ6 desinged to do" IYHO persay? I'm sure it wasn't designed to run mid 200Km/hr now was it. I don't think they deisinged the FZ6 as an all out, 600cc crotch rocket either! If dude is that concerned about getting to 245+km/hr, there are plenty of other 600cc bikes out there 'designed' to do that and more out there that's all.

No one said anything about not needing 5th or 6th gear.

No one said anything about only goning 70km to the grocery store. Don't be a dick.

I'm not trying to be an a$$ Blue, but sitting here discussing "how fast did you go?" is pointless. "Hey I went 180km/hr the other day"...yippie. what's the point? who cares. good for you. you get a cookie.

If you must know I usually average 130km/hr on the highway on my way home every day. So what. I'm sure others go faster, I'm sure others go slower. Some ride the FZ6 to work, others ride track. And I often go to the grocerystore on my FZ6. Fastest 'milk run' in the west man!

Haha, first post to make me laugh! :) You hit the nail on the head with that one boneman! :)

Yes the bike is designed to go that fast, and no you shouldn't have to buy a new bike to go that fast since the bike is designed from the factory to go excessive speeds. That is why we have brains. In the words of Jim Carey "Running a razor across my tongue is counter productive!!"....so going those speeds on the public road is equally counter-productive...

but this thread is not about the legality (as much as I hate to talk about being so irresponsible on a public road where in the worst case scenario you can kill someone else..since your life mustn't really matter that much to you)

If it were on a track then i'm all for that...at least you dont have oncoming traffic and eejits that can get in your way...and you know the road surface is built for such driving.

I'm sure the wind was your major cause of not hitting the top end...you should have turned around and gone the other way! :) good comparison! :)

And I'm warning ya...dont come running to me if you break both your legs ok!! :Flash: :p

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

Haha, first post to make me laugh! :) You hit the nail on the head with that one boneman! :)

Yes the bike is designed to go that fast, and no you shouldn't have to buy a new bike to go that fast since the bike is designed from the factory to go excessive speeds. That is why we have brains. In the words of Jim Carey "Running a razor across my tongue is counter productive!!"....so going those speeds on the public road is equally counter-productive...

but this thread is not about the legality (as much as I hate to talk about being so irresponsible on a public road where in the worst case scenario you can kill someone else..since your life mustn't really matter that much to you)

If it were on a track then i'm all for that...at least you dont have oncoming traffic and eejits that can get in your way...and you know the road surface is built for such driving.

I'm sure the wind was your major cause of not hitting the top end...you should have turned around and gone the other way! :) good comparison! :)

And I'm warning ya...dont come running to me if you break both your legs ok!! :Flash: :p

What some folks consider crazy or irresponsible others may not. Now, in some cases the only thing you may likely kill is yourself as "there isn't anybody else out here," which is the general case where I go. So, regardless if you are going 1mph over the posted limit or 70mph over the posted limit it could be said in either case you are irresponsible because that irresponsibility is based on your not adhering to the public law on a public street. Yes, it would be extremely irresponsible to go 150mph on a crowded public street where others could in fact be harmed but this wasn't the original issue in the post as there was no mention of where the rider made the speed run. For all we know it was at Bonneville. More importantly, it all falls back on the question within the original post which requests information on why that particular FZ6 wouldn't achieve what many may consider a specific top speed. I don't find this "useless at all." Rather, information from others who have achieved the specific mark may offer a tip to this individual that could help him achieve his goal and for some reason it would appear that is why there is a technical section on this board in the first place.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
when you topped at 220 km/h you were going around a true 200km/h anyway,,so dont get excited about seeing your fz6 doing 245 means you are really doing that speed :D

one simple question,,a lot of arguement,,,instead of taking the bike to the dealership the guy made a good move and found this forum that is alllll about fz6 and full of experienced fz6 riders,,,,what answer he gets?? : "take it to the dealer!" :) come on guys , also he didnt mention anything about doing the top speed run on a public road either...that is probably the case,,but nobody actually asked....before attacking the guy try giving him a technical answer or an opinion at least.....

i think wind was the factor on that run...good luck with taking it to the next level...cheers :rockon:

edit: +1 on the post above me by havblue,,,we pretty much wrote it at the same time,,,i agreee

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

when you topped at 220 km/h you were going around a true 200km/h anyway,,so dont get excited about seeing your fz6 doing 245 means you are really doing that speed :D

one simple question,,a lot of arguement,,,instead of taking the bike to the dealership the guy made a good move and found this forum that is alllll about fz6 and full of experienced fz6 riders,,,,what answer he gets?? : "take it to the dealer!" :) come on guys , also he didnt mention anything about doing the top speed run on a public road either...that is probably the case,,but nobody actually asked....before attacking the guy try giving him a technical answer or an opinion at least.....

i think wind was the factor on that run...good luck with taking it to the next level...cheers :rockon:

edit: +1 on the post above me by havblue,,,we pretty much wrote it at the same time,,,i agreee

Yes, things like tire pressure, wind, rider position, road gradient, ambient temperature and net weight could all effect the top speed achieved on any particular run. This is why a 2 run average is often utilized at timing tests. Also correct is the variation in the head unit which is likely to be around 10mph at top end. At 100mph mine is actually going 94mph. At 100 miles my odometer is off 6 miles and this is using the mile markers on the Interstate. So, if the rider in the original post is looking for a top speed of 250kph it will only be on the head unit as the bike in stock form may never attain that speed on level ground with no aid.

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my "fast-blue" '06 up to an indicated 132 mph, and over 100 several times on some deserted backroad straightaways. Felt very smooth and "planted". oogie

H

HavBlue

I've had my "fast-blue" '06 up to an indicated 132 mph, and over 100 several times on some deserted backroad straightaways. Felt very smooth and "planted". oogie

I agree as my 2004 is extremely stable at that speed. I will however say it does not like the dirty air encountered when around trucks or cross winds at speed can be interesting too.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site

I have mine up to 120mph everyday that i come to work. I have to travel 20 miles on a long, straight, flat, and deserted road and there is nothing to do but listen to the Ipod and go fast. I know some of you said it is a dumb and meaningless conversation but just like one of the other guys said noone buys a sportbike to go the posted speed limit.

and ohh yeah.....wind makes a big difference on top speed.
also make a friend in law enforcement so he can radar you. my FZ indicated 158mph but my cop buddy hit me with the radar and i was only going 142. the GPS i was carrying said 143 so i would believe them before i believe a digital speedo.