Multi-function display

darch5

Reaction score
Visit site
can someone please tell is it possible to replace Multi-function display from my fz6 (2004.y.) with Multi-function display that is embedded on new fz6 ... ? tnx..

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know.. but here's the wiring diagram for the 04-06 instrument cluster.
I'll try to find the 07+ diagram...

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
I just found this... hope it helps.

04-06 -------------- 2007
Red/White------Red/White & Red/Yellow
Yellow ----------Black/Yellow
Red/Green------Red/Green
Green-----------Green
Brown-----------Brown
White------------White
Light Green-----Light Green
Green/White----Green/White
White/Red-------NONE
Black/White------Black/White

White/Red is Ground.

darch5

Reaction score
Visit site
yes it works!

...multi-function display from fz6 2007.y. can be mounted on fz6 2004 and it works...great, i am very happy :rockon:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
yes it works!

...multi-function display from fz6 2007.y. can be mounted on fz6 2004 and it works...great, i am very happy :rockon:

If I remember correctly the connectors are different, right? so you cut them off and soldered the wires of an '07+ speedo onto your '04 harness and it worked? That's surprising but great! I would have bet that it would not work. You should have lost your mileage info though right? what about the analog tach? that works too? even more susprising...

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
If I remember correctly the connectors are different, right? so you cut them off and soldered the wires of an '07+ speedo onto your '04 harness and it worked? That's surprising but great! I would have bet that it would not work. You should have lost your mileage info though right? what about the analog tach? that works too? even more susprising...

after thinking about it i am surprised it DID NOT work

think about it this way

the engine and ecu is the same and both model bikes produce the same electronic signals, the cluster is what receives them and uses teh signals to drive whatever is needed
ie the tach signal is the same for a digital or analogue tach

darch5

Reaction score
Visit site

the connectors are different, yes....and i cut the wires and reconect...

everything works, really!

i just bought it becuse everything works and soon i will mount it on my bike... ;)

darch5

Reaction score
Visit site
So now that we know the wiring works, were there any modifications needed to the fairing to be able to attach the gauges? Of was it simply rewire it, and bolt it on in the same spot?

" Of was it simply rewire it, and bolt it on in the same spot? "

i will do just that, i have the frame...i think that the frame will need some modifications, but that will be easier to do....

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you post a DIY and pictures of the connections? I am trying to attempt this. But something like a plug n play connection.

darch5

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you post a DIY and pictures of the connections? I am trying to attempt this. But something like a plug n play connection.

A Sick_1 posted a scheme of connections...just follow it and you can not make a mistake...

04-06 ---------------------------------2007

Red/White------------------------------Red/White & Red/Yellow
Yellow ---------------------------------Yellow
Red/Green------------------------------Red/Green
Green----------------------------------Green
Brown----------------------------------Brown
White----------------------------------White
Light Green-----------------------------Light Green
Green/White----------------------------Green/White
White/Red------------------------------NONE
Black/White----------------------------Black/White

White/Red is Ground.

...in my case all the wires coincide, all but one ...Red/White...but if you look in scheme Red/White = Red/White & Red/Yellow...
...and i did not have a White/Red wire at all...
...just simply rewire it, and bolt it on in the same spot...i do not know if there is some adapter, but it does not important to me :)
..hope it helps....

Last edited:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
so what's the advantage besides the analog tach? Most recently at the track I didn't look at my guages at all...no time lol...did you do this more for aesthetics like how people update their cars with newer model bumpers and such?

darch5

Reaction score
Visit site
so what's the advantage besides the analog tach? Most recently at the track I didn't look at my guages at all...no time lol...did you do this more for aesthetics like how people update their cars with newer model bumpers and such?

it is all about a taste...nothing more....the new display looks great...by my opinion :thumbup:

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you post pics showing how u spliced the wires on the harness? I am just scared to cut anything from the main harness.

darch5

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you post pics showing how u spliced the wires on the harness? I am just scared to cut anything from the main harness.

...unfortunately i already connect all the wires and protect them with sealing tape..

...as a first, with new display you must have and it original connector with wires (remove isolation)...

...and then, just cut the wires of your display which is mounted on a bike (but before connectors), remove isolation and connect with wires on your new display ( but watch out that you follow the scheme which a_sick1 posted above )...

...try if you want, but i succeed...and i hope that you will too... :thumbup: