Moving to California

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
I am moving to California and I bought my fz here in Michigan. I am planning on taking it with me, but am curious if I will need to do anything special to pass the california tests or will I be ok with my stock minus drilled exhaust, fz?

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I would suggest seeing if you can get it tested there and get the results. Then check those results against CA requirements. I doubt they will look inside the exhaust to see if it is drilled, they will probably look for a cat though. Put that back on if it is not there. If it is not there, I am betting it would be auto fail.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At this time California does not inspect or smog motorcycles but the motorcycle that are sold here must meet certain criteria for emissions. When registering your bike here from another state there may be an initial inspection to register it here. The best way is to research and maybe call Ca. DMV or hit their web site for answers.
I don't think they'll bother you for the drilled exhaust.
Hopefully we may have a California member who's done this.

Where in Cali are you moving?

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
With as tight as CA is on cars, I am surprised they don't check bikes. Even Arizona checks bikes.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike needs to have 7500 miles on it. The VIN needs to be in two places (for the FZ6, stamped on the frame AND on the frame sticker). THe engine number needs to be readable (back of engine near rear shock, IIRC).

The bike will be inspected by the DMV before registration/title is issued. They main things they will be looking for are the mileage and VIN/engine numbers. They may also check for operating llights, blinkers, etc.

All of this information and more is on the DMV website. Best to make an appointment in advacne so you dont' have to wait in such a long line.

Foremost insurance is a great company (MI based I believe). I used them when I lived in Chicago and kept them when I moved out here. Check them out for great CA rates.

WHere in CA are you moving and why, if you don't mind me asking?

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you saying that I need 7500mi or more, or less than that number of miles?

i am moving to SoCal, probably Long Beach area for work. I graduate college in May and start a full time job with a construction comapny called Hensel Phelps in August.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i am moving to SoCal, probably Long Beach area for work. I graduate college in May and start a full time job with a construction comapny called Hensel Phelps in August.

Congratz! Grew up in LA and I went to CSULB. First job out of college was at McDonnell Douglas on Lakewood Blvd.

You gonna love riding year round. Your mileage will go way up. Just watch the freeways and lane splitting. Most folks are decent drivers out there and are cool with lane splitters. But like anywhere, there are few a$$ - h0les, so be careful and ride safe!

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site

If it's a 49 state bike, it needs to have 7,500 mi or more, to pass the DMV. If it's a 50 state bike, then the mileage does not matter.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Don't worry about being under the 7500 miles. Since we are already going to be neighbors you can preship your bike to SoCal and we'll get those miles up for you! :BLAA:

I'm sure you'll hook up with us on some of our rides. We have a great group in these areas so I'm sure you'll feel right at home with us..:D

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Welcome to the forum, great bunch of people here and the SoCal group are some of the finest folks you will find anywhere.
Found some info on bring your bike to Cali and I don't think you need to worry about the 7500 mile thing as its your bike, if your buying a used bike from out of state then it applies.
Out of state Motorcycle Registration in California? - Yahoo! Answers

Jerry

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, broski, it's Adam.

If you're worried about the exhaust being drilled out possibly failing the inspection for you, I'm willing to do a clean swap on mine with yours if it's fairly non-intrusive. This is assuming it's pretty much the same on the '07 and '08...

Also: You forgot, you can't move to Cali, because you have to stay here in Michigan, by me... so I can have an FZ riding buddy... :D

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't worry about being under the 7500 miles. Since we are already going to be neighbors you can preship your bike to SoCal and we'll get those miles up for you! :BLAA:

I'm sure you'll hook up with us on some of our rides. We have a great group in these areas so I'm sure you'll feel right at home with us..:D

Well in any case I don't have to be worried, I already have 12k on the speedo :BLAA: But thanks for the offer. I look for ward to being able to ride year long and to go along on some of the sweet SoCal rides that I hear so much about!

I am wondering if anyone knows the best way to ship the bike across country? for cheap that is!

Also has anyone done "Spencers" I think thats right, the guy in FL, Seat mod? I was thinking of maybe just riding it cross country, but have 2 cars as well and if I was gonna do a ride across country I would want a slightly more comfortable seat for 10+ hour days!

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, broski, it's Adam.

If you're worried about the exhaust being drilled out possibly failing the inspection for you, I'm willing to do a clean swap on mine with yours if it's fairly non-intrusive. This is assuming it's pretty much the same on the '07 and '08...

Also: You forgot, you can't move to Cali, because you have to stay here in Michigan, by me... so I can have an FZ riding buddy... :D

I am sorry Adam, I know that you just finally came to the dark side, but now I am moving far far away! :BLAA: