Mounting Givi E21 hard bags

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello FZ6'ers, been awhile since I've been on here.

So, I've tried for a few years not having hard luggage, originally thinking I'll never want it or need it. But now that I've ridden for the amount of time I have.....I want it. The convenience, the security of it is just too much to pass up. I've wanted to avoid having brackets on the back end of the bike, since it's the prettiest part of it, but I hate soft luggage....so screw it.

But I have a few questions concerning the mods I've a already made and how they might interfere with the mounting brackets and bags. I have a FE kit on, as well a M4 slip on exhaust. Will the exhaust interfere with mounting the brackets and how have people moved the rear signals (since I'm assuming I'll have to move them)

Also as the title suggests I'm looking to get Givi E21's, although this applies to any hard luggage.

Thanks guys!

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have them.. love them.. recommend them all the time!!! I have SW-Motech Quick-Lock Side Racks and i suggest you look at these.. I have an fe too and there is nooo issues mounting these up.. dunno about the exhaust (have to ask a few more people here), but i dont think it will be an issue... when i removed my original plate bracket (for the fe) i lost the section that would bolt up the side racks..
what the bike looks liek without the racks on:

waxed.jpg

here is a shot with the "floating" support bar that should be bolted to the original license plate holder. you can see one of my blinkers and how far it is "set in" to the bike.

IMG_0999.jpg

i have had this type of setup since about 09 and have never looked back!!!

edit: i know you cant really see the blinkers in this shot, but they are on the fe.. i have had some ideas about adding some quick disconnect blinkers, but have not gotten around to it.. havent had any problems with people seeing me and knowing that i am turning, but more vis is never a bad thing.. hope this helps!!! :thumbup:

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ahhh memories!!! hope these pictures help in you decision making process!!!

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

here is a good one showing the blinkers in the back
IMG_0447_zpse6b24539.jpg

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
This has mounting point info for the Givi brand side racks
http://static.twisted-throttle.net/media/files/351kit.pdf
The Givi brand (PL360) has a cross-brace that goes between the stock fender and the license plate lights - might look out of place just hanging out in space, but thats up to you.
The SW-motech has a mount point on the stock rear fender.
Here's pics of my setup- http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...side-rack-installation-pics-e52-e21-e360.html

My 2 cents: a 40-50L liter topcase is much more effective than two 21L sidecases. In my 45L and 52L topcases, I can fit my helmet and roadcrafter. Cant fit either in the my E21's. I can just barely squeeze both my size 43 race boots in one E21. My textile jacket I could fit in the E21, not sure about my leather jacket. I also feel more confident loading more weight into the topcase than the sidecases.

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently mounted Givi E21 hard bags on my 2007 FZ6. FWIW, I initially looked into the SW-Motech Quick-Lock Side Racks, but decided against them since they were so quick release that you have to buy a special $50 lock to theft proof the racks, so no one pilfers what's in the bags simply by removing the racks with a screwdriver, bags and all. I chose to use the Givi 351 kit (mounting kit, if you don't have a top box) and the Givi PL360 side racks, specifically to keep the weight of my touring items as low as possible. I also have a Cortech tail bag, for additional storage.

The Givi racks make the primary load-bearing attachment point a heavy steel "strap" that goes around your muffler sides (item #1 in the picture of the mounting instructions, below). The top of the "strap" fastens to the rear of the subframe using expansion bolts (look at #5), and the bottom of the "strap" is affixed to the bracket welded on to the bottom of the OEM muffler (look at #2, #7 and #8). When the "strap" is mounted, there's a large, internally threaded "tit" that sticks out of the side of that "strap" (to the left of where the arrow for item #6 points). That "tit" is what holds the bulk of the weight of the E21 bags and your cargo. Finally, there's a thin piece of foam (item #6) between the "strap" provided by Givi and the plastic muffer surround, to protect the plastic from chafing.

Long story short, if your aftermarket mufflers don't fit into the OEM plastic surround, the standard Givi 351 mounting kit probably isn't going to work/fit on your bike. That said, it would certainly seem relatively easy to use the rest of the kit, and simply fabricate your own "strap", using the same anchor points. After the 351 kit has been installed, there's a spacer about an inch long that goes between the "tit" and the actual Givi rack, such that the inner edge of the rack actually sits about 1-3/4" away from the "strap". So there's a lot of horizontal room to utilize, to adjust the shape of the "strap" to fit around aftermarket mufflers, and the subframe ends are easy to access. The whole shebang might well depend on whether your aftermarket muffler also has a welded-on bottom bracket to secure the bottom of the "strap".

Also, the rear turn signals really must be moved. If you look at LERecords' picture with beer in the bags, you can see at the lower left two brackets with roughly oval horizontal holes. Those are intended by Givi to be the new locations of the rear turn signals. If you do it Givi's way, the signals end up mostly behind the bags and a little wider than LER's, thus increasing visibility to the sides.

I'm just a day tripper, and I really like my E21 Givi bags. At some point I'll write a more complete treatise about exactly how they installed and how they function, and recount the minor installation glitches and the minor fitment issues. But they really match my riding style, and they're top opening so they're virtually rain and spill proof. The same racks fit many other Givi hard bags, up to 46 liters each side. And at least with the E21's, I still can use the helmet lock!

Click the pic to see full size.

- - - Good luck with your considerations, Jim

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as top cases go, maybe down the line. I'm not looking for a ton of storage at the moment, and I think the side cases look better. But the mounting bracket might be an issue. I seem to remember the M4 slip-ons coming with some type of bracket replacement. I'll have to take it apart a bit and look.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can fabricate your own, do it. Here's a link to the hardware you need for the E-21. You need the 2 nipples and 1 latch on each side. (Under $30.00 of hardware) Add another $20-30 of metal... you're set! I did mine with 5/16" rod that I bend in a loop. Keep in mind that those E21 are rated for 5 lbs and 70 MPH. I can tell you they can handle way more than that...

Bike are a bit different but you will get the whole idea. Been on my bike for the last 2 years and 20-25K miles, still look as the day I made it. Doing your own thing is always cool.

GIVI Hardware Components

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, I'll have to look into that as an option. Fabrication isn't my song suit but if I have to it doesn't look too bad. I'll try a bolt on option first, that'll be my backup!