Mounted alu mini fairing

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
So, when I got the bike one and a half years ago, it came with what I thought was a not so good looking mini fairing. It's aluminum and OEM (Yamaha's "Alu line").

Since then, I've done a few things with the bike, and I thought now was a good time fitting the whole assembly back on, just to see how it fits with the rest of the bike. I still feel something's kinda "off", and I believe it is the height of the screen. As I said, it's aluminum, but I'd like to shorten it just about where the top of the speedo "hits" the screen. What do you think? If I do that, I will have to re-paint it, which in itself isn't a biggie.

Another option would be to use the screen as a mould, and then make use of some kind of plastic material to fabricate a screen. So this is my question: Does anyone know of a good plastic material that I could mould by heating it?

06052010252.jpg

06052010251.jpg

06052010253.jpg

06052010254.jpg

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't look bad imo, but could quite possibly look even better if it was a bit shorter. What about using fiberglass?

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't look bad imo, but could quite possibly look even better if it was a bit shorter. What about using fiberglass?

I agree. It doesn't look bad, I actually think it made the bike look more agressive combined with the FZ1 bars, the mirrors, etc. The headlamp is a few cm's lower than before too, which adds to that impression.

I've thought about using fibreglass, but if there's a possibility of using a sheet of stiff plastic and mold it to the correct shape, that would be easier (at least i like to believe that).

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with wavex...I like it just how it is. I really like how that windscreen comes over the speedometer just a bit (a nice bit of protection).

Think it over before you mod the setup that's on there. I think you'll find that it's nice just the way it is. :thumbup:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I think the black 'screen' really ties the colors on the bike together... this is one of the few setups I have seen that makes the black front fender seem like an integrated part of the design.

It looks like it balances the black pods behind the rider, and the surrounds for the OEM exhaust.

If you can ride without any buffeting, I wouldn't touch it. Looks really good, IMHO. I wish I had that option in the US.

You could possibly wax it, to give it a bit more of a sheen, so it hits the middle ground between flat black and gloss. Sort of an in between the high gloss fender and the flat black at the back of the bike on the hugger, and exhaust surrounds.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the black 'screen' really ties the colors on the bike together... this is one of the few setups I have seen that makes the black front fender seem like an integrated part of the design.

It looks like it balances the black pods behind the rider, and the surrounds for the OEM exhaust.

If you can ride without any buffeting, I wouldn't touch it. Looks really good, IMHO. I wish I had that option in the US.

You could possibly wax it, to give it a bit more of a sheen, so it hits the middle ground between flat black and gloss. Sort of an in between the high gloss fender and the flat black at the back of the bike on the hugger, and exhaust surrounds.

I kinda agree with you. As I said, ths was the setup on the bike when I bought it, and I thought at the time that this was no good. It just didn't fit. I think that the mirrors play a great deal in all this, as the bike now has a black theme all around, like you are pointing out:thumbup:

A black sub cowl and black seat cowl would complement this, right?:Flash:

By the way: There's absolutely no difference in degree of buffeting with or without this setup. Actually, it might even be more of it at high speeds. That doesn't bother me, though.