Motorcyclist's new middleweight shootout...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my April 08 issue of Motorcyclist and they have a new middleweight bike shootout: BMW XMoto vs. Kawasaki Versys vs. Triumph Street Triple vs. the Suzuki GSX650; 1 vs. 2 vs. 3 vs. 4 cylinder bikes. But, no FZ-6! Apparently 600 cc is no longer considered "middleweight", or, (I like to think) it was more of a fair fight without the fizzer in there. :Flip:
For what it's worth, just glancing thru, it looks like the Triumph was the favorite.

H

HavBlue

I got my April 08 issue of Motorcyclist and they have a new middleweight bike shootout: BMW XMoto vs. Kawasaki Versys vs. Triumph Street Triple vs. the Suzuki GSX650; 1 vs. 2 vs. 3 vs. 4 cylinder bikes. But, no FZ-6! Apparently 600 cc is no longer considered "middleweight", or, (I like to think) it was more of a fair fight without the fizzer in there. :Flip:
For what it's worth, just glancing thru, it looks like the Triumph was the favorite.

So does this mean they're picking up their toys and going home without ever giving us a chance? This is unacceptable.....

S

sportrider

thats not a big surprise. I've e-mailed both Sportrider mag and Motorcyclist asking if they were going to do a new review on the FZ6 seeing how the last one they did was in 04 (with the exception to the six in the city story) and I never got any responses. maybe it's time for a collective effort???!!!!

Jeremiah

Reaction score
Visit site
thats not a big surprise. I've e-mailed both Sportrider mag and Motorcyclist asking if they were going to do a new review on the FZ6 seeing how the last one they did was in 04 (with the exception to the six in the city story) and I never got any responses. maybe it's time for a collective effort???!!!!

x2 written - no response :Im With Stupid:

The reviews I've read generally come to something like "The FZ6 would have won, but the Fuel Injection sucks". They've fixed this in the '07+ models - so where's the new reviews? Yamaha needs to pound the pavement, this is a wonderful bike.

H

HavBlue

I don't know if it works with the likes of a magazine editor but writing a letter by hand versus a message or word document will go miles further when writing a government official or a corporation when you are asking for sponsorship money.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Are not those 4 all new bikes? Where as our ride is "old"?

I've notice mags like that. My GMC Sierra 1500/Chevy Silvy won Motor Trend's Truck of the year, but they didn't test it this year because it isn't new anymore.

Same case here??

H

HavBlue

Are not those 4 all new bikes? Where as our ride is "old"?

I've notice mags like that. My GMC Sierra 1500/Chevy Silvy won Motor Trend's Truck of the year, but they didn't test it this year because it isn't new anymore.

Same case here??

The street triple was unveiled in like June or July of 2007 and at dealers around September. The 675 naked may be a new look but we find the R6/FZ6 differences there two.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i see your point, but they redesigned the FZ6 in 07 and no review. if magazines only rated "New" bikes then they wouldn't have had a review of the Gixxer since 1985...i am sure they have reviewed and done "Shootouts" with those.

It is all marketing and i am sure that Yamaha is putting more marketing efforts into the R6 and R1... Although i would think that the FZ6 would get a bit more attention this year since Yamaha dropped their YZF600r for 08. The YZF shared the more comfortable end of sporty 600cc with the FZ since 04, but that slot is now solely the FZ's spot.

H

HavBlue

i see your point, but they redesigned the FZ6 in 07 and no review. if magazines only rated "New" bikes then they wouldn't have had a review of the Gixxer since 1985...i am sure they have reviewed and done "Shootouts" with those.

It is all marketing and i am sure that Yamaha is putting more marketing efforts into the R6 and R1... Although i would think that the FZ6 would get a bit more attention this year since Yamaha dropped their YZF600r for 08. The YZF shared the more comfortable end of sporty 600cc with the FZ since 04, but that slot is now solely the FZ's spot.

When you think about it the FZ6 is one of the best kept secrets in the motorcycle world. There have been very few articles on it here in the states and it has been one of the top sellers in Europe for years. That's fine by me but I wish they would quit asking me if it is a BMW....

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really, a BMW??? Which one do they think it is?

As far as the GSXR, that bike has been re-engineered several times over the years gen 5 or 6 by now, where as in '07 the FZ was mainly cosmetics.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
are these other bike people or just admirers? I used to get tons of ignorant admirers with my last bike that saw the word Yamaha and ask if it was an R1 since that is all that had ever heard of...

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhhhhh!!!!
I am trying to decide between the new Suzuki GSX650F and the Yamaha FZ6..I really liked the FZ6 and was all set on getting it until I noticed the new GSX650F. All the reviews have been very favorable on the Suzuki, despite it heavy weight thanks to a steel chassis. It may have a better low and midrange than the Yamaha, but the Yamaha beats it at the top. I really wish I saw a comparison between the two....
Dani

H

HavBlue

Ahhhhhh!!!!
I am trying to decide between the new Suzuki GSX650F and the Yamaha FZ6..I really liked the FZ6 and was all set on getting it until I noticed the new GSX650F. All the reviews have been very favorable on the Suzuki, despite it heavy weight thanks to a steel chassis. It may have a better low and midrange than the Yamaha, but the Yamaha beats it at the top. I really wish I saw a comparison between the two....
Dani

In looking at the GSX650F on paper the bike is a refined 600 Katana and to me no match for the likes of a thoroughbred like the FZ6. The FZ6 is 40 pounds lighter, 1.2 inches shorter in the wheelbase and 1.4 inches overall. The seat height of the FZ6 is 1 inch taller and it actually uses the same 180 rear tire as other 600cc sportbikes as opposed to the narrower 60 series 160mm rear of the GSX. I think the GSX will be more user friendly in terms of forgiveness should you make a mistake but in terms of all out across the board performance I don't think it stands a chance.

The Z750S Kawasaki is the closest thing I have been on that would make a good comparison to the FZ6 and even that won't match the FZ6. The GSX is a good looking bike and may be more comfortable but to me it's just a reworked Katana.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is more than a reworked Katana. It has a brand new engine. I could see you calling it more of a reworked Bandit 650S. I agree - on paper it certainly doesn't measure up. But, reading the reviews in Rider, BIKE and whatever else I found were all very positive. A huge improvement over the old Katanas. I really wish there was an actual comparison between the two. The only thing I found close was a british journal comparison of the Ninja 650 to the Bandit 650S (previous engine) to the previous generation FZ6, not the FZ6S2. The Ninja won that one and the main complaint they had on the FZ6 is that it really needs to be wound up. Here is the link: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/769/attachments/fz6 fazer.pdf
Dani

PS
a 160 rear tire would make maneuverability around town easier

Last edited:

Whitey Dodge

Reaction score
sport-touring.org
You're asking the wrong guy Pete, I haven't a clue. You would think the tuning forks on the tank might give it away now wouldn't you?

They don't know either. They see the tuning fork symbol and in their simple minds, they think they are seeing a BMW Roundel. The two logos do share the same colors, blue and white. I guess that is where they make their mistake.

Another thing that may confuse them, the FZ6 does not have the word Yamaha, justas BMW is not the bike any where, save for the small print around the Roundel. Where as "Honda", "Kawasaki" and "Suzuki" are all very visible. So it must be a BMW... :confused:

S

sportrider

It is more than a reworked Katana. It has a brand new engine. I could see you calling it more of a reworked Bandit 650S. I agree - on paper it certainly doesn't measure up. But, reading the reviews in Rider, BIKE and whatever else I found were all very positive. A huge improvement over the old Katanas. I really wish there was an actual comparison between the two. The only thing I found close was a british journal comparison of the Ninja 650 to the Bandit 650S (previous engine) to the previous generation FZ6, not the FZ6S2. The Ninja won that one and the main complaint they had on the FZ6 is that it really needs to be wound up. Here is the link: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/769/attachments/fz6 fazer.pdf
Dani

PS
a 160 rear tire would make maneuverability around town easier
according to the "motorcyclist" compairison the FZ6 if it were in the test would have the most HP out of all of them the 675 is very close with 91.
but the GSX-650F would be left in the dust with only 75 HP and 43 ftlb of torque to carry that extra 40 lbs. if you buy that bike get a good look at the front of an FZ6 because it's the only time you'll see it!!!:D

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't get Suzuki's thinking. I would have gone naked. Go with a 600 or 750 Bandit, or create some form of cafe racer or street fighter, like the GSR in Europe. Isn't this GSX650F competing directly with the Katana lineup? Ditto the SV650SF? Why do they do this weird competition (on the sales floor) with their model line up? Honda did the same thing, and look at their watered down '08 line up. Except for the Interceptor, there is really nothing different than the modern UJB. I'm glad Yamaha has a varied lineup, heck even the Star cruiser line is interesting (just look at a Roadliner in person).

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
The GSX650F is the replacement for the Katana 600 and 750, not the competition. It is a very different bike than the SV for a different purpose. Its ergonomics are much more comfortable than the SV and are better for touring. If you want a sportier bike in the Suzuki lineup get the SV. I sat on the GSX650F and on an FZ6 at a dealer a couple of weeks ago. Eventhough the GSX is supposed to have a short seat (30.3", which is even shorter than my current Ninja 500), it doesn't feel that different from the FZ6 and feel taller than my Ninja. I think it is because it is wider.

You can't always just look at the peak HP. A more important figure is HP and torque in the useful midrange to me, i.e. 4k-8k. I am not a racer and I don't plan to push my bike into the high rpm range. I mostly ride in the city (yeah, I know, I could even get a naked SV) and I want some kind of fairing.
The GSR in Europe is not competing well. The street triple, the Hornet and the FZ6 are all considered better overall bikes. On the other hand, Suzuki's nake GSF650 (Bandit) is doing extremely well.
I don't doubt that if I raced the two the FZ6 would beat the GSX650F easily, just like a CBR600RR would beat the VFR. But, for the riding I do and ergos that I look for the VFR for me would be a better choice then the CBR. The GSX650F reminds me of a poor man's VFR.
Anyway, this is obviously an FZ6 forum and I wouldn't be signed up and following it closely if I wasn't seriously interested in getting an FZ6S2. But, I noticed the Suzuki and having ridden the FZ6 I am dying to compare to the Suzuki (or have a magazine compare the two).
Can't wait for my Motorcyclist magazine to arrive...I haven't gotten it yet.
Dani

S

sportrider

well good luck on your decision. I wasn't trying to slam you from considering the Suzuki, just trying to let you understand how good the FZ6 is.

"All things considered, the GSX is a low-resolution sportbike. It looks the part from a distance, but up close or on top you see it's actually not." -Motorcyclist, April 2008