Motorcyclist killed during chase

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The officer was told to break off the chase and didn't, and he 'thought' the bike had been stolen. Brutal. Even if this officer gets cleared of charges, or the investigation finds him not responsible (hard to imagine), he'll be dinged with a black mark on his service record. Not to mention that a would be rider is now dead because of this incident...

hughes8049

Reaction score
Visit site
Why is it the police officer's fault? The guy could have just pulled over. Why are we (as a society) so quick to turn criminals into victims? The guy was breaking the law. Luckily, he only killed himself and no innocent people were injured.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Why is it the police officer's fault? The guy could have just pulled over. Why are we (as a society) so quick to turn criminals into victims? The guy was breaking the law. Luckily, he only killed himself and no innocent people were injured.

Part of me agrees with you, at least on some level. The kid put himself at risk and lost the bet.

But. The officer was called off the chase multiple times and the bike had not been reported stolen. That bit sound like an officer trying to cover his ass. But the damning bit of the story for me was the chase ended when the officer collided with the biker. That is where I want to know exactly what happened. A possibility and the first thing that comes to mind is he bumped the bike much like they would bump a car in a chase to cause a crash and stop the chase. Effective if used against a automobile or truck. Murder if used against a bike.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
So it's Saturday night, about 3am... the guy is not licensed to operate a motorcycle... and he's involved in a high speed chase... right?

Since police officers are trained for such chases and the rider wasn't even licensed, it seems more likely the rider screwed up and caused his death. I guess we'll find out. At that time, there's a good chance the rider was intoxicated.

Given the circumstances, I can't muster up any sympathy for the rider. Until all the details come out, I'll side with the officer.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
Part of me agrees with you, at least on some level. The kid put himself at risk and lost the bet.

But. The officer was called off the chase multiple times and the bike had not been reported stolen. That bit sound like an officer trying to cover his ass. But the damning bit of the story for me was the chase ended when the officer collided with the biker. That is where I want to know exactly what happened. A possibility and the first thing that comes to mind is he bumped the bike much like they would bump a car in a chase to cause a crash and stop the chase. Effective if used against a automobile or truck. Murder if used against a bike.

I agree. It sounds like the officer might have been trying to bump the bike, similar to a PIT maneuver used for cars (it wouldn't be the first time a cop rammed a bike with his car).

No matter what the biker did, whether it was fleeing or breaking any number of traffic laws, he doesn't deserve death for it.

There is a reason some cities have no-chase policies (the PD in my city implemented one years ago). They are dangerous and put everyone's lives at risk. Yes, you want to catch the guy, but you don't want him or anyone else to die as a result of it.

Yes, the biker was stupid to flee. But the officer was told to break off the chase, and in not doing so, he collided with the biker and killed him.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the stupid rider should've stopped. In Russia, if you don't stop, they shoot! But, on another note, it seems like cops crash quite a bit doing stupid, reckless driving stuff. I guess it's because some join up partly for the thrill of the chase or really fast driving, but then get carried away. There was a CHP cruiser that shut down I-5 near Sacramento a few months ago all because he....accelerated too briskly on a wet on-ramp, spun out and caused a major injury crash (and he wasn't even chasing anybody, just responding to another accident). Years ago, I missed certain death by a few inches while on my bicycle. A cop was traveling (no lights or siren) at a high speed, blowing past cars while he was in the shoulder/BICYCLE LANE. He just missed me as I approached the avenue on my bicycle. Totally reckless driving and had I arrived a few seconds earlier I, no doubt, would have been another statistic. Good thing that no innocent motorists were victims in that Baltimore crash, whether the cop's or biker's fault.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

The officer was told "multiple times" to cease the chase... At the very least he should have obeyed the order. Yes, I agree that the biker was an idiot, especially for operating w/o a license, and for attempting to flee from the police, but the officer was told to stop...and didn't. Like it or not, Public Servants (police, fire, ambulance, military, etc.) are held to a higher standard than everyone else, and often put under the microscope for their actions.

So it's Saturday night, about 3am... the guy is not licensed to operate a motorcycle... and he's involved in a high speed chase... right?

Since police officers are trained for such chases and the rider wasn't even licensed, it seems more likely the rider screwed up and caused his death. I guess we'll find out. At that time, there's a good chance the rider was intoxicated.

Given the circumstances, I can't muster up any sympathy for the rider. Until all the details come out, I'll side with the officer.

Assuming that the officer had not yet pulled the motorcyclist over, there would have been no way to know that the operator was driving w/o a license. The article doesn't mention whether the bike belonged to the operator or someone else, just that the officer "thought" it was stolen...

Just my $0.02 worth...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Should I have some sympathy for the rider?

What do you think will happen when you run from the cops? Obviously nothing good. If there is, please post and let me know.

LunchBox04V

That Subaru Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
It really sucks that that rider died in the instance. That said, he was stupid for running, and did, in a big way, cause his own downfall. Now, what Wolfe1down said was right on the mark. Public officials (military, police, etc) Are held to a higher standard. They should always error on the side of safety. Multiple requests to stop the chase, and the fact that the town has a no chase law....

Tack that officer to the wall. He should have done the safe thing, instead he killed someone. Involuntary Manslaughter, Minimum. There are far to many people on the road who think they are professional race car drivers.... three things..... 1) Do you see how often THEY crash?!.... 2) Training can only do so much, there is something to be said for time spent driving on the edge(not having just gotten done eating a doughnut).... 3)The Ford Crown Vic is not a race car.... yes it is pumped up over the factory version.... but come on, it is not a road racer in any way.

Well.... I digress.... It is just a crappy situation all around.... But when it comes down to it, it is a **** sandwich, and all of those involved have to go take a nice big bite.....

Last edited:

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Disobedience has it's consequences, for the motorcycle rider they were immediate, for the officer his actions in this will now be looked at VERY closely. It's difficult to feel sorry for someone who willingly broke the law and also endangered others lives in doing so.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
running from the police is soooooo stupid. I have no sympathy for the motorcyclist. Even if you go to jail for a short time, at least you're still alive. Take your lumps and pay your dues. I've never heard of a chase where a suspect gets away and is never found. Ever.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the rider had not run, and had yielded peacefully to the officer, he would have been tasered and killed. ''Rock and a hard place'' applies.

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The story is being updated, not looking good for Baltimore Police. Of course he should not have run, of course it was stupid. But a badge does not give you the right to rear-end a motorcycle with a vehicle especially at god knows what speed. That is manslaughter, and this is going to be a hell of a case to follow around here.

"The lieutenant of the northern district asked this officer to cease this pursuit of the motorcycle, and for whatever reason, that communication was not followed," said Anthony Guglielmi, Baltimore City Police spokesman.

"The preliminary investigation indicates the patrol vehicle was behind the motorcycle when the two collided, and the motorcyclist was ejected onto the hood of the police car and then the roadway," said Maryland State Police Lt. Greg Shipley.

"We have some concerns. Let me blunt, as everyone knows, there's a no chase policy in the city of Baltimore, unless they are going after a criminal who posses a significant risk to life. And the preliminary information suggests none of that at this time," said Guglielmi.

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a difficult mishap on many levels. The officer should face insubordination charges but then officers should have the ability to make decisions based on the circumstances. Blaming the police officer for the death of the fleeing motorcycle rider reduces the police effectiveness and could give others the idea they can run from the police and get away with it. Just because there is a no chase law in Baltimore does not make it the most effective or rational law on the books. People need to have respect for the police and the laws that governor their society; especially laws that are out there to protect themselves and the public.

Even if the police officer had stopped the chase the rider may have continued at high speeds and got himself killed; than who does society blame?

I can't imagine the police officer would of tried to do a pit maneuver on the bike, that does not make sense. Possibly the rider slammed on his brakes surprising the office and he rear ended the rider. Bikes can stop a lot quicker than cars.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Or maybe there was a corner coming up and the rider wanted to brake but the cop didn't see the need and clipped him?

Many variables. Could be murder. Could be accident. Definitely is a victim here....multiple victims. The victims are the rider's family. They have both the rider and the cop to blame.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
So the guy made a bad move, and is now dead.

The cop made a bad move, but it's ok because he's a cop?

No, the cops are even more obligated than us to follow the LETTER OF THE LAW. but seems like those 2 deserved each other, and that officer deserves to lose his badge.

Robmac

Reaction score
Visit site
So... If I read this right this guys only known crime was not pulling over.

He wasn't fleeing a murder scene or an armed robbery etc., so this police officer hits the motorcycle with his car and the rider ends up dead.

The officer's actions are not justified, the use of deadly force was not reasonable. The bikers actions we're illegal but this by itself did not warrant the use of deadly force.

The officer should be fired, and charged with manslaughter. The police department will be successfully sued for wrongful death.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the rider had not run, and had yielded peacefully to the officer, he would have been tasered and killed. ''Rock and a hard place'' applies.

Maybe the rider didn't want to get shot in the back.

Maybe the rider saw this video and the image was still in his mind?

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/30698-motorcyclist-shot-back-traffic-cop.html

Regardless, should not have run. He paid the ultimate price, it was the rider's decision. When it comes to riding a motorcycle, it all comes down to your responsiblity, not others.

98% of the cops out there would have made the correct decision, but there are a very small percentage of them who slipped though the system and shouldn't be out there? Unfortunately, it takes something like this, and the link above to weed out the bad cops.