Motorcycle Plate Blocking

Has anyone ever tried to block their plates before?

• Yes

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 88.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Visit site
No, I'm not talking about myself.

*I live in Dallas and all the tollways here are using Cameras so they'll just bill you later*

Anyways....

I've been riding around for quite a while now and I've noticed one particular motorcyclist doing this. I'm a student and often in the morning I take my bike to school to avoid the craziness of finding a parking spot at my University and during all these mornings I've noticed this same guy on a Gixxer *dont know what year* would be riding in the toll lane with me and before we reach the Camera he would lean back and cover his plates with his hand, of course it doesn't cover the entire plate except for maybe the first and last character.

I was wondering... does this stuff actually work because I figured if he does this long enough NTTA would get wind of what he's doing and just try to match the partial plate number with the bike he's riding and eventually they'll find him. :spank:

What's y'all take on this. =/

*sigh* I hate to say this but people like that shouldn't be allowed on bikes especially sports bike because it gives all of us safe and law abiding riders a bad image, not trying to say I'm a saint either because I know I've broken a few traffic laws before but nothing this creative.

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How creative. He'll eventually get caught if he keeps it up, I'm sure. If someone at the toll authority gets enough motivation to search the partially visable tag characters, seems like simple enough detective work.

I recall there was a big fuss in these parts a few years ago, some company was selling license plate 'covers' that were translucent, maybe just a bit smoky looking. But whatever they were made out of screwed up the camera shot of the plate. The cameras take their shots from an angle, not straight from behind, and this cover reflects light in a way so that the image is unreadable. Not sure whatever came of it.

I actually just googled this topic, and there are a bunch of products out there to do this. I got a speeding ticket a month ago thanks to one of those new speed cameras (was following two other bikes, neither of which got a ticket I might add.) Maybe I ougtta invest in one of these covers! (No way.)

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How creative. He'll eventually get caught if he keeps it up, I'm sure. If someone at the toll authority gets enough motivation to search the partially visable tag characters, seems like simple enough detective work.

I recall there was a big fuss in these parts a few years ago, some company was selling license plate 'covers' that were translucent, maybe just a bit smoky looking. But whatever they were made out of screwed up the camera shot of the plate. The cameras take their shots from an angle, not straight from behind, and this cover reflects light in a way so that the image is unreadable. Not sure whatever came of it.

I actually just googled this topic, and there are a bunch of products out there to do this. I got a speeding ticket a month ago thanks to one of those new speed cameras (was following two other bikes, neither of which got a ticket I might add.) Maybe I ougtta invest in one of these covers! (No way.)

Just watched a Mythbusters on plate blockers............BUSTED!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Didn't myth busters bust the myth on these devices?

Neil

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, they did bust those myth from those crystalized plate frame to those weird spray.

Thing is though... those test were done on a car and the camera was set on ground level with the car but the toll camera is set up high so all the time the photo will be take from a 45-60 degree angel. Not sure how that might affect the outcome but either way... I'm not going to risk a couple hundred dollar fine or even having my license suspended for a few dollars charge on the toll. :BLAA:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mythbusters DID do a couple of stories on speed camera defeating measures, and I watched with interest.

One question did spring to mind - can you imagine if they found something that worked and reported it on world-wide television?

The stories left me feeling like there may have been some pressure applied to disprove these devices, irrespective of whether they worked or no - and that the angle and height of the cameras were not consistent with real world situations.

The Mythbusters have an excellent relationship with the police, from using the bomb range, to using explosives professionals and the like. How long do you think that would last if they showed the Police's greatest money making strategy could be easily beaten?

Not long, methinks.

Cheers,
Rick

Reaction score
Visit site
Mythbusters DID do a couple of stories on speed camera defeating measures, and I watched with interest.

One question did spring to mind - can you imagine if they found something that worked and reported it on world-wide television?

The stories left me feeling like there may have been some pressure applied to disprove these devices, irrespective of whether they worked or no - and that the angle and height of the cameras were not consistent with real world situations.

The Mythbusters have an excellent relationship with the police, from using the bomb range, to using explosives professionals and the like. How long do you think that would last if they showed the Police's greatest money making strategy could be easily beaten?

Not long, methinks.

Cheers,
Rick

You make a very good point sir and I can see why they would do whatever they can to disprove it but if there was an item out there that did work you can sure bet there will a pile of orders for those. Probably myself included lol :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Visit site
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBUza_Qp-N4]PhotoBlocker Spray proven to work by Denver Police and FOX NEWS - YouTube[/ame]

I was doing some more searching around and I found this to be pretty interesting.

It was the only video I've found where the police of that city actually participated to prove whether these products would work or not and although yes, a little of detective work would would bust you anyways.

However other videos seems to disprove it so now it does seem like if these products do work or not, they of course don't want the general public to know about them. Just food for thought.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I have actually done the same thing a few times but at a red light camera. This one particular camera also goes off while the light is yellow (completely legal) and I also pass through this light every morning. I didn't even know there was a camera there at 1st until I got my 1st ticket in the mail from it, it in the same city that my brother is a officer for so I called him up and he told me that it will go off on yellow too. So ever since then if I'm going through and it turns yellow I give my bike a "reach around" and cover my plate.... No more tickets.

About mythbusters yes they did test multiple devices and proved them all wrong but at the end on the revist show they pulled one more out, a plate flipper and of course it worked but made it very clear just how extremely illegal it is

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

Not long, methinks.

Cheers,
Rick

I love the mythbusters show and the things they do, hell who wouldnt wanna get paid alot of money to blow sh!t up right!!! But ive wondered the same things watching the show on a couple differnt myths like this one and others. The 1st one that really got me thinking was the breathalizer test and ways to beat it. There were a couple things that ive herd from several repeat DUI offenders that they swear works and have beat the test (according to them) but the mythbusters didnt test those things, or at least they didnt show them test them. Im not condoning drinking and driving at all and cant stand it to be honest, but i do know people and i have met people while drinking who act like its no big deal. Im not a lawyer by no means but i would think that the mythbuster could be charged with several criminal offenses if they were to show something that did allow someone to beat a breathalizer or any other ways break the law without being caught. I dont konw for sure but i know ive seen a few episodes of them testing things like this and im 99% sure that there are "other" ways that they just cant show on TV

D

Deleted member 17211

Buddy of mine uses a plate flipper on his, you guessed it, Gixxer.

Eventually if it becomes a pattern (same toll, same general time of day) and the EZPass Commission wants to, they'll just start matching photo ID of the gear and such to the rider. One or two runs isn't worth it, but it hundreds of dollars worth of tolls go uncollected, they would investigate.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also in Dallas and they're seriously cracking down on toll violators. All of those 635 changes aren't going to pay for themselves, you know! I can't imagine him getting away with this for very long.

P.S. 90% of those covers/sprays don't work because they're based on light reflection from the flash of the camera. Today's technology uses high speed cameras to capture both high, medium and low lit pictures; plus it only flashes at night anyway. The products that don't use light reflection most likely use light refraction (bending the image) which means that if you get pulled over, the cop will notice it walking up to your bike/car.

You'd really have to sit down and do the math on value. If you get caught once, is that fine (plus court fees, most likely) going to be worth the amount you saved in tolls? Will that one fine cancel out all of what you saved and just add more headache?

On a different note, you should take the Addison Airport tunnel, I know it's a waste of a toll but man it sure is fun! :)

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My coworker got pulled over in his eyeball-searing-yellow Corvette and was told he'd have to remove his "lightly-smoked" license cover. He did not get a ticket, and I don't know if there's actually a law here in utard about that. Hmmm.