Motorcycle Noob from WA

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello there!

I just picked up my first bike, a 2007 red FZ6. I love it so far, although I haven't had MUCH experience with it yet as I still need to license and insure it. Also being such a beginner I don't want to ride it too much until I have frame sliders and stuff. Not that I plan on laying it down, but who ever does? I know some people think it's a big much for a beginner's bike and I was one of them at first. But it was used and the price was right and I couldn't resist...so I'm just going to have to be super careful. The small friction zone was a huge turn off at first, but then I got used to it. I've had it up to a whopping 6,000 RPM MAYBE so there's plenty to be discovered.

There was a new 2009 they're listing at a local place for 5,499 so I thought offering $6000 OTD was perfectly reasonable. But dealers are douchebags (something I've realized even more over the past two months) and apparently that wasn't enough for their salesman's mortgage fee, salesman's grandkids college tuition fee, etc...

Mine has 6,400 miles on it. It's in good shape I think, I have no reason to think it was abused although I'm pretty anal about cleanliness so I'm gonna have to clean it to my standards at which point I'll get some pictures up.

I also own a 2001 Mustang Bullitt which is my pride and joy and in the interest of full disclosure, if one ever had to go outside it would be the bike. :) Luckily they both fit (very) tightly in a one car garage.

I'm thinking about "debadging" but a search of the forum turned up no results. Anybody have an opinion?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the club!

In my opinion, used is the only way to go when it comes to motorcycles. Just about any bike can be had with very low mileage in nearly new shape for WAY less than dealer price.

Debadging is pretty easy on FZ6. Just heat up all the stickers/emblems with blow dryer and carefully peal off. A bit off goo off afterwards, if necessary. Same as you would debadge a car.

Many here have done it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:FloppyRunner To the forum!
Remember ATGATT!
All The Gear All The Time!

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. :welcome::welcome::welcome:

Your bike sounds very similar to mine. I also have a 2007 Red FZ6 and mine has about 6300 miles. how much did u pay? I got mine fairly cheap from a private owner.

FloppyRunner

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all!

I paid $3700 for it. I'm thinking it wasn't a great but it wasn't a terrible deal either. But I guess it's irrelevant now...

I will for sure post pics after I get her cleaned up! Sadly I'm flying out in a few hours and won't be back until Tuesday...

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:
Can't wait to see your baby!

You don't see as many red ones out there so it should be a good one.:rockon:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello there!

I just picked up my first bike, a 2007 red FZ6.

Great choice, best color!

I love it so far, although I haven't had MUCH experience with it yet as I still need to license and insure it.

Not to nag, but you should have insured it before you took it out on the road. And get your learner's permit soon, then take an MSF riding course this spring.

There was a new 2009 they're listing at a local place for 5,499 so I thought offering $6000 OTD was perfectly reasonable...

Sounds reasonable to me, how much did they want out the door?

I'm thinking about "debadging" but a search of the forum turned up no results. Anybody have an opinion?

Do it, here are some threads:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/29900-yamaha-emblem.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/20357-removing-yamaha-tank-emblems.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/13040-please-help-vin-question.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/13913-factory-sticker-removal.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/12298-factory-labels-stickers.html

FloppyRunner

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!

When I said I don't have much experience, I meant that I did like a half mile test ride and then the 3 miles back to my place a few days later. It's also legal in WA state to ride without insurance; I'm not saying it's SMART, but it's legal...

And yup, took the MSF course already and then got my endorsement a month or two ago. I've been shopping ever since until I got this bike. I got it registered yesterday but now I'll be out of town until Wednesday. Can't wait!

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi There

A FZ6 was kinda my first bike (first one in over 30 years). I'm short on one end so it's plenty big , lots of power and there is plenty of mods that you can do too. First and most important ride safe. There is plenty of time to learn before the "ridding season" is here. Good Luck.

Doc

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!

It's also legal in WA state to ride without insurance; I'm not saying it's SMART, but it's legal...

Is it legal only for motocycles, or cars too?

And yup, took the MSF course already and then got my endorsement a month or two ago.

Sorry, I misunderstood when you said you needed to license and get insurance. Great that you got your license and took the MSF course before you got the bike.

FloppyRunner

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha yeah, I wouldn't have done it any other way since I wouldn't have been able to manage getting the bike home...hahaha.

I believe it is only legal for motorcycles. You have to have at least liability insurance on cars.

Sorry, yeah I meant get plates for it, which I did the other day.

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: 3,700 is a good deal, KBB shows $3,900 retail for a 2007 FZ6. I paid $4,300 for a 2008 with 2,200 miles on it which was $400 under KBB retail. These are like $7,000 bikes off the showroom floor.