Motorcycle laws?

NewKidOnTheBlock

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive heard that in some states that motorcycles can treat traffic lights as stop signs, because the traffic sensors do no pick them up. Does anybody know if this is true? and is that law in Florida?

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
It is true in some states, but I believe you still have to wait for the light, then in the event that it doesn't change you can go. I'm not sure whether or not that applies in FL, though, sorry. haha

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
My MSF instructor [who was a retired county sheriff] said that in Michigan you may proceed when it's safe after waiting through three signal cycles. A number of the traffic lights in my area don't pick up bikes - I've done it many times with no issues.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Each state is different, so you should read up on the laws for your own state. This is actually a topic that is covered if you have taken the MSF course. There is only one state that I know of that a rider can legally run a red light after a couple of rotations, and that is the great state of Kansas.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive heard that in some states that motorcycles can treat traffic lights as stop signs, because the traffic sensors do no pick them up. Does anybody know if this is true? and is that law in Florida?

It is not a law in Florida, (thats speaking as a retired LEO in Ft Myers..) You cannot legally run the light.

I will, if it doesn't turn green and I'm dead on the sensor for awhile and its clear... :)

I did have a particular light down the road from my GF's house that would not change... I contacted Floirida DOT and told them about the intersection/direction, etc. They were putting in a motion sensor (not in-ground) that detects motion and changes the light accordingly, car or bike...

Just an option if you have one light in particular...

Last edited:

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
This is actually a topic that is covered if you have taken the MSF course.

This was not discussed in the MSF course I took.

That aside, if I sit through a complete cycle (lights I'm familiar with) or for too long (lights I'm not) I'll go when it is very very clear to do so.

Most of the time I only encounter this issue late at night or early in the morning when there isn't a car around that will trip the sensor.

kdburtch

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in kansas a law was just recently passed "dead light law" that states that if a motorcycle is at a dead light for a prolonged period he can procced through without it changing. This is because the light won't "cycle through" if the weight is not on the sensor. But I always followed the rule No Cop, No Stop.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
In Virginia it is legal to run the light after 2 complete cycles and no green. However it's rare to have to anymore as they have upgraded almost all traffic lights to motion sensor type which will even trip for a jogger!