Motorcycle 12V power outlet options?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the market for a motorcycle accessory 12V power outlet (cigarette lighter socket type) for my FZ6 in order to be able to charge my cell phone, gps, etc. while on a 6 day camping trip!

Anyone have one? What type/brand and how is it connected to the battery and where is it mounted? Would love to see some pictures as well.

Need to be able to run it to my tank bag without interfering with the operation of the motorcycle.

Thanks! :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I did mine similarly to this post - Robert - Moto Blog - 12 Volt Accessory Plug on Kim's*Versys

I got mine from Canadian Tire. It's actually for a pickup truck to put in the bed, so it came with really long wires and an inline fuse.

I originally went directly off of the battery, but when I added hand warmers went the relay route.

That's a neat idea with the flush mount. Not sure the FZ6 has a spot like that on the inner fairings strong enough to support the socket and all the pushing and pulling on it to plug in chargers. I'm thinking of simply routing it off the battery up the front of the tank and securing it to the tank with some heavy duty velcro so that I can leave enough cord slack to put the socket inside my tank bag for a more secure ride without exposed cords hanging over my bars.

I found this...seems about what I'm looking for:
Fused Motorcycle accessory socket outlet 12 V Marine | eBay

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A thought. If you go direct to the battery you may risk leaving a device plugged in after the engine has been shut off. Also as a matter of security. If you have an alarm system(or plan one) as long as the socket is accessible you can dump the battery if it's hooked direct.
if you're going to just run you cell charger and maybe a GPS you can tap into the running light circuit. When the bike is off the socket is off. You won't need a 30 amp inline you can go with a 7-10 amp

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
I used this... dont know if its available in the US...

12v MOTORCYCLE WATERPROOF ACCESSORY SOCKET + 1.8m LOOM | eBay UK

The connector comes with some sticky Velcro on the flat side that went onto the ignition switch on the headstock. Carefully ran the wire (so an not to interfere with the bars turning, lock to lock) to go under the tank and to the battery. The fuse can be removed to turn the socket off when not in use.

TIP: If you run wires straight to the battery using loop connectors similar to this then note that you might need slightly longer screws to actually be able to catch the thread again, especially if you are connecting a second device in this manner...

S

Shamus McFeeley

I used a marine grade 12v plug that I got from the bass pro shop. I figured that a marine grade plug would have better corrosion resistance. I mounted mine under the seat, but will probably relocate it somewhere more accessible now that I have a tailbag. I connected it directly to the battery so that I could charge something without having the bike on. I also added a safety toggle switch so that I can turn it off when I don't need it, if it causes a problem, and so that as long as the cover is down, I know that the power to the socket is off.

P5100447.jpg

P5100448.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I stopped by the local dealership today and picked up a 12V outlet thats waterproof and meant for a goldwing. Snagged it for $12 after tax, should help out to have my cell running GPS this weekend when I head for the Devils Triangle! I just tied it into the headlight wiring, should be able to easily handle keeping my cell phone powered.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE: I finally bought this:
a20791512ee5c60fa69ff6_s.JPG

I'm going to hard wire it to my battery. It is 7.5amp fused and I have no plans to hard mount it. I am simply going to run it to my tank bag for cell/gps charging. It comes with a waterproof connector that allows the battery wires to double as trickle charger hook up.

siksoundz

Reaction score
Visit site
now that i like i will def be getting that i love the fact that it can double as a trickel charge connection were can i get this great little dodad lol

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, mine has the Battery tender connection hook-up. I bought the power outlet that has a 8 foot cord that plugs right into the Tender connector / trickle charger. I wrapped up the extra cord inside a bicycle inner tube and zipped tied it under the triple clamp. If I need a utility light or power for camping I can disconnect the outlet and have a work light etc..

I zip tied the outlet to the tun signal cable. There is a slight "U" or depression in the triple clamp, 06 model FZ6. I snugged the outlet in the depression with a piece of foam between the outlet and the cable. not the most solid mount but holds the GPS plug great and out of the way.

Got the same one off Fleabay.

Bummer though it is hot all the time, direct off the battery, Just cant leave anything plugged in for to long.

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I added one a month ago to run my GPS. Bought a marine outlet at Bass Pro Shop and a waterproof fuse housing from one of the auto supply stores - it uses the newer small fuses. Mounted it directly to the battery with the fuse close to the battery - 2" away and used a 5A fuse. Worked great on a 1200 mile trip. I don't plan to plug anything in and leave it so did not make it switched. Mounted the outlet to the inside of the left fairing using some stick on wire tie bases and a couple of wire ties. Plan to epoxy a better mount in but the wire ties have worked very well.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
A thought. If you go direct to the battery you may risk leaving a device plugged in after the engine has been shut off. Also as a matter of security. If you have an alarm system(or plan one) as long as the socket is accessible you can dump the battery if it's hooked direct.
if you're going to just run you cell charger and maybe a GPS you can tap into the running light circuit. When the bike is off the socket is off. You won't need a 30 amp inline you can go with a 7-10 amp

That's why I ran mine under the seat. It's locked unless I'm plugging or unplugging something. And then whatever you plugged in and threw in your luggage is attached to your luggage. Kind of hard to walk off with luggage attached to your bike. :thumbup:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought this:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U4ZZPK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00"]Blue Sea 1011 12V DC Socket : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]
and this:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BXHWD4/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00"]Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHM 30 Amp Mini Fuse Holder with Protective Cap: Automotive[/ame]
and wired it directly to the battery.
I use it to power a handlebar mounted GPS, and sometimes my phone. Worked flawlessly until recently. Somehow it seems to have lost some amperage; it still charges the phone, but will not charge the GPS. If I take the same power cord and plug it into my car outlet, GPS charges, so I know the cord/GPS are good. And the fact that it still charges my phone boggles my brain.

Any ideas? I went over all of the wiring connections, everything looks good. Doesn't make any sense.

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to hard wire it to my battery. It is 7.5amp fused and I have no plans to hard mount it. I am simply going to run it to my tank bag for cell/gps charging. It comes with a waterproof connector that allows the battery wires to double as trickle charger hook up.

waterproof SAE lead is a good option. I have an SAE->cig adapter, my air compressor is SAE, and I use a tender over the winter. Cheap, simple, reliable. :thumbup:

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm guessing there's a loose connection somewhere that's causing a drop in output. take a multimeter and check the output of the outlet in current and voltage. i'm assuming you don't use the same charger for the phone and gps. some chargers/devices are very picky on inputs and will not work if the input current and/or voltage is out of range.

I bought this:
Blue Sea 1011 12V DC Socket : Amazon.com : Automotive
and this:
Amazon.com: Bussmann BP/HHM 30 Amp Mini Fuse Holder with Protective Cap: Automotive
and wired it directly to the battery.
I use it to power a handlebar mounted GPS, and sometimes my phone. Worked flawlessly until recently. Somehow it seems to have lost some amperage; it still charges the phone, but will not charge the GPS. If I take the same power cord and plug it into my car outlet, GPS charges, so I know the cord/GPS are good. And the fact that it still charges my phone boggles my brain.

Any ideas? I went over all of the wiring connections, everything looks good. Doesn't make any sense.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That socket looks like the same one I have on my bike. I purchased it from West Marine. Good quality.

The deal with your GPS may be the plug is making contact in the car receptacle but is not contacting on the bike receptacle. The bike receptacle may have a little larger diameter.
Check the ground contacts on your GPS plug. They may not be touching the internal ground on the bike receptacle. Some have spring metal that can loose the shape. You can gently pry the metal outward a little and make contact again.
The car socket may be smaller and closes the spring metal again. Maybe get one for the car and one for the bike?