MotoGP: Casey Stoner to retire at end of 2012

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't believe it, but it is official now!

motogp.com · Stoner announces retirement at end of 2012

“After a long time thinking, a lot of time talking with my family and my wife, this has been coming for a couple of years now but at the end of this 2012 season I will be not racing in the 2013 Championship. I will be finishing my career at the end of this season in MotoGP, and go forward in different things in my life,” Stoner told the assembled press.

“After so many years of doing this sport which I love, and which myself and my family made so many sacrifices for, after so many years of trying to get to where we have gotten to at this point, this sport has changed a lot and it has changed to the point where I am not enjoying it. I don't have the passion for it and so at this time it's better if I retire now.

“There are a lot of things that have disappointed me, and also a lot of things I have loved about this sport, but unfortunately the balance has gone in the wrong direction. And so, basically, we won't be continuing any more. It would be nice if I could say I would stay one more year, but then where does it stop? So we decided to finish everything as we are now.”

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This really surprised me too. Although he's a great rider he's not really exciting to watch, but I will miss his wife not being around :spank:

I wonder who'll be riding for Honda next season?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sad to see such a great rider who has been through so much leave a sport he loves. He probably can't talk a lot about it right now but I'm sure we'll know in the future what this is about..

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
He is a very talented rider so for sure will be missed.

About his wife not being around anymore I personally won't miss her, for my taste I see each day several other hotter women on the streets of my latin city :D

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I watched the pre-race press conference, where he announced his retirement. Everybody's look on their faces..."Whaaaaat?"

Lorenzo:

“It's a surprise for me, for everyone. I didn't expect it. I heard the rumours and I thought there was a possibility, but I thought that Casey would continue next year, but now he has told us, it's not good news for MotoGP I think, but his decision is to live quietly with his family and we must respect his decision.”

Last edited:

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it's certainly shocked me, but I don't disagree with his reasons. Motogp isn't what it used to be, basically a 3 horse race a the moment with the rest just making up numbers.....

I reckon the death of Marco and birth of his baby have a lot to do with it too.

He did do some testing in the local V8 super cars series last year. Maybe he'll have a crack at that. Last motogp rider to do that (Wayne Gardner) didn't do too well though.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, big shock!

Ok, you all know how much I hate Stoner, but if you complain all the time (that goes for anyone, not just picking on Casey) then your heart really isn't in it. Your mind will wander and you can make serious mistakes. I don't think Marcos death had any reasoning for him. Probably just having a baby and not wanting to live overseas anymore - Switzerland is a looong way away from your family when you have a bub. Travelling with a baby - not so great.

I'll say one thing - Casey has his priorities right - it's a pity more men don't put their familes first!

Also, look out for him in the Australian V8 Championship - he's hinted about that before.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
He will probably do a 'Raikkonen'.... P!$$ about with something other then what his awesome talent is in, make a t!t of himself and then be back in MotoGP for 2015...

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen,heard & read it but I still dont want to believe it:(:shakehead::jawdrop:

& if that spainish paper was on the mark about Casey,I wonder if there's anything in the Valentino rumours:don'tknow:

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Couldn't believe it when a mate told me about this at work this morning. It was on the news, but I don't have radio on the bike, so hadn't heard.

It's good to see him put family first, and I think (in my opinion), Marco's death has put family top of the pile (as it should be), and why continue in a sport that doesn't "do it" for you any more.

Sad day for motogp. Am now thinking I NEED to go to motogp this year....

I'm thinking the same thing Jay Jay.
I'm gunna have to sweet-talk the missus a bit I think.

:rockon:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not what I expected to hear at 4am this morning as I hopped into the truck :( I am shattered..........

I hinted this might happen when Marco passed away & my worst fears have come true :( but on the bright side , at least he is going out at the top of his game & on his terms :thumbup:

All the best for the future Casey, im gunna miss watching you on 2 wheels..... Ohh & ummm Mrs Stoner , you will be GREATLY missed :drool:

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I give him probable one year and two years tops before he comes back to racing.

Stoner doesn't even know what life is like no racing and when he finds out he will realize how much he loved it and go back.