Moto gp shifting/reverse shifting

basejumpyeah

Reaction score
Visit site
I searched for nearly an hour now, and have yet to find a suitable answer to my 'problem'. If there is a thread somewhere that I missed, please feel free to make fun of my poor searching skills. I would also appreciate if you provided the link as well. :thumbup:

So today I nailed my foot on an upshift during a lean, and said enough is enough. I had given up the thought of converting to moto gp shifting after one look at the setup on my 2006 fz6. But after nearly breaking all my toes, I think it's worth trying. I found one other site where a guy did it, and basically had to construct a whole new setup with the linkage going outside the frame guide. (And apparently newer fz's don't have this problem, as another guy said he simply switched it with no issue.) My question is, has anyone managed to switch to moto gp shift pattern, while still staying in the frame guide? I also read you can buy aftermarket rear sets that allow for the swap, but don't really want to spend a few hundred dollars on something that isn't broken or unfunctional.

I know this is a tall order, I am just hoping someone went through this same thing, and somehow didn't make a write-up for it. Perhaps I will get a spark of creativity tomorrow and figure something out.

Cheers!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
not to sound patronizing, but shouldn't you be in the correct gear for the corner instead?

unless it's some really long corner that starts very tight and opens out i can't see why you'd want to shift

basejumpyeah

Reaction score
Visit site
not to sound patronizing, but shouldn't you be in the correct gear for the corner instead?

unless it's some really long corner that starts very tight and opens out i can't see why you'd want to shift

It was a very long corner. And while I was in the correct gear at the start, you are right in stating that I didn't absolutely need to shift. I could have very well ridden out the gear till I straightened out. Like I said, it isn't an absolutely mandatory mod. I was just hoping someone found a creative solution.

Edit: I guess I should also add that reverse shifting is what I am accustomed to. And that plays a factor in why I would want it as well.

Cheers!

Last edited:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
It was a very long corner. And while I was in the correct gear at the start, you are right in stating that I didn't absolutely need to shift. I could have very well ridden out the gear till I straightened out. Like I said, it isn't an absolutely mandatory mod. I was just hoping someone found a creative solution.

Edit: I guess I should also add that reverse shifting is what I am accustomed to. And that plays a factor in why I would want it as well.

Cheers!

Out of curiosity, how old are you? Just wondering, because it seems like the older generation(50+) area all used to gp shifting, due to the majority of older motorcycles being that way from the factory. Makes sense really, I'm used to the way bikes are now, I doubt I could adjust to gp shifting. lol