• Better?

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, i have had this screen for nearly 2 years now, it is a Yamaha Screen, made for the 04-06 FZ6N, with the round gauges...it has a pronounced hump in it, to mimick the shape of the round instrument cluster...to cut a long story short, i have always thought it was a bit "ugly", and arkward looking...which sucks, cause it is really functional, especially when touring...

But i always found myself taking it off the bike, cause it's look sorta annoyed me...now, i plan to do quite a bit of touring over summer, so i am going to be needing this screen a fair bit, and i decided that it was time to take matters into my own hands, and "fix it", with an attitude that if i stuffed it, so be it, as i dont think i could continue to use it looking like it did...

So it was a bit of standing about with Mikey (Ozzieboy), and playing around with different ways to do the gig...make it look at least half decent...

So, the result is this....from this...
View attachment 30116

View attachment 30117

To this....sorry these photo's aint so great, quality wise, but it aint real great for photo's in my shed! and it's the middle of the night!
View attachment 30113

View attachment 30114

View attachment 30115

In terms of functionality, the screen height is a little bit lower, and the angle of the screen is about 30 degree's inclined further back...

If anything, i think it at least looks a bit less like a "giant piece of plastic"!!!

Tell me what you think people, does my mod stink? or does it look better?

:thumbup:

What was Yamaha thinking? That screen shape really baulks the eye, regardless of its functionality.
Personally, I'd have taken material off the top of the screen to even the outline a bit and left the bottom alone...but that's just me.
If it does its intended job as a "windscreen" then use it by all means...but I'd whip it off again the moment it's not needed anymore.
Then burn it.:BLAA:

It works for me :thumbup: I say major improvement , a bit sportier but still functional i think.... It needs the Tuning Forks back on it though :)

He who have Dremel , will create :D :D

Sorry Wolfman I voted "Stinks" . . . .

I think that a FZ6N should be Naked and stay that way . . .

Yes, you've put it on for a bit of touring and actually it looks better from behind which is where you'll be tucked up, but from the front :eek:

so, as Onetrack said get fully naked again when you are done touring . . . . or even how about converting the N to an S ?

On a more serious note what is the turbulance like given that the screen is not symetrical ?

What was Yamaha thinking? That screen shape really baulks the eye, regardless of its functionality.
Personally, I'd have taken material off the top of the screen to even the outline a bit and left the bottom alone...but that's just me.
If it does its intended job as a "windscreen" then use it by all means...but I'd whip it off again the moment it's not needed anymore.
Then burn it.:BLAA:

We looked at taking some off the top, but then it would of been useless for it's main function..to mount my GPS, and keep the weaher off the GPS when touring! As a windscreen, it does keep rain off your chest....but dont worry, it's off the bike veryt quickly, when i dont need it!

Sorry Wolfman I voted "Stinks" . . . .

I think that a FZ6N should be Naked and stay that way . . .

Yes, you've put it on for a bit of touring and actually it looks better from behind which is where you'll be tucked up, but from the front :eek:

so, as Onetrack said get fully naked again when you are done touring . . . . or even how about converting the N to an S ?

On a more serious note what is the turbulance like given that the screen is not symetrical ?

Turbulence from the screen has never beem an issue, but then i ride the bike without the screen more, and the turbulence created when riding fast on a naked is never an issue for me full stop...have done plenty of touring with and without the screen in place, and either way, wind buffetting has never bothered me! Like i said further up, the screen only stays so i can give my GPS, a mount, and a dryish place to reside in weather!

As for converting an N to an S......:spank::spank::spank:

You wont ever see this little black duck doing that! :eek:

I really can't say if it's better or not,as it's the same shape as my puig one,that is sitting in my shed,having fallen out of love with it.
Don't know really,it looked good at first,but I dunno :confused:

Still, got something a lot cooler coming from Germany soon ;)

I really can't say if it's better or not,as it's the same shape as my puig one,that is sitting in my shed,having fallen out of love with it.
Don't know really,it looked good at first,but I dunno :confused:

Still, got something a lot cooler coming from Germany soon ;)

Yep, it is made by Puig, and sold as a genuine Yamaha accesory in Australia...mine, much the same as yours, has spent a lot of time sitting, gathering dust in the shed! I have always been after an alternative, but have never seen anything else that looks half decent...they all seem to be butt ugly!

:eek:

Well, I have this screen on my bike and there has been a huge difference. I don't get battered by the wind anymore. I don't think it's too ugly. I actually quite like it now.

Well, I have this screen on my bike and there has been a huge difference. I don't get battered by the wind anymore. I don't think it's too ugly. I actually quite like it now.

Yea I'm the same, I don't mind it really. Its definately grown on me.
I don't see how having it changes whether the bike is naked or not either.... :confused:
I mean you drilled out your stock exhaust, why didn't you go for a real aftermarket exhaust? Some would say drilling it out is a waste of time and if your going to do something, do it properly. Guess it comes down to taste and opinion.

For the same reason I don't see why you would chop the top down.... its a good air braker and I find the difference noticeable, and Yamaha did a pretty good job making sure it works.
I'm just one of those weirdos who puts utility before style :D

I think it looks a bit more sporty with your mod, but hard to say whether I think I'd go for it :p

Sorry, didnt mean to offend you Kazza....maybe you should put a big 46 on your screen! :eek:

:scared:

I like it but personally the round shape dosent work for me. You know I love the back bike... I'm still struggling with the whole road bike vs dirtbike saga. But angles look good on your black bike.. The round just dosent do it for in my pants...

I like it but personally the round shape dosent work for me. You know I love the back bike... I'm still struggling with the whole road bike vs dirtbike saga. But angles look good on your black bike.. The round just dosent do it for in my pants...

Yes, it looks like Yamaha, or Puig, have modelled it on a semi inflated soccer ball or something...definitely does not have a sexy shape....or as Jess put it so nicely....it "doesnt do it in the pants"!!!

Sorry, didnt mean to offend you Kazza....maybe you should put a big 46 on your screen! :eek:

:scared:
I'm never offended by you guys :rof:, you'd know if I was :eek:

I actually have a Rossi sticker set - haven't dared to do it and never will - tacky. Haven't even put a number 46 on my quad :D

I'm never offended by you guys :rof:, you'd know if I was :eek:

I actually have a Rossi sticker set - haven't dared to do it and never will - tacky. Haven't even put a number 46 on my quad :D

You know you wanna do it......Just for Tassie! :D

Yes, it looks like Yamaha, or Puig, have modelled it on a semi inflated soccer ball or something...definitely does not have a sexy shape....or as Jess put it so nicely....it "doesnt do it in the pants"!!!

Yeah no caution wet floor signs here... On the orange bike... Black bike caution river flowing lmfao

Back