mmmm Lobster...Los Angeles guys!

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Hey guys,

Anybody else a scuba diver? Are you hunting lobsters now?! :) I'm willing to head out with anyone after work these days!

Diving experience:
10years, SSI Advanced Instructor, 600+ dives (stopped logging).

I have my lobster license and am ready to head out, but going solo while having multiple advantages, isn't as fun when you can brag to your buddy at the car about having a bigger.....lobster!!!

shout out divers and let's dive!

casual_lee

Reaction score
Visit site
not a scuba diver but I go hoop netting everyweek since the season opened! I've always wanted to scuba dive but when I was younger I popped my right ear drum twice. Now I can't go below 12 ft of water and i'm prone to ear infections. blows. So far this season, I have no bugs to show for my efforts. Crabs have been almost nonexistant too. Be careful this weekend, there's a high surf advisory 8-10ft.

btw, I have a catalina AL-80 tank. Structurally sound with cosmetic scratches, valve cover and boot on it. I used it to refill my air rifle and pistol when I used to shoot olympic 10 meter. I have no more use for it now plus I can't seem to sell it since no one is interested. So if you want it, it's free to a fellow fizzer. Last inspection was in 2004. So you'll have to get that done. let me know.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I'm always open for more tanks, ha ha. I have 5 right now, and it's nice to be able to take a few buds out on a boat or something and not have them rent tanks. What boat do you have for hoop netting?

I picked up my first hoop net last week...I've done it before, but never owned one. Where do you go?

I also picked up a small zodiac to launch from the beach in nice conditions...only 3.5 hp, but it'll take me to a few kelp paddies!

surf advisory..pfff, my buddy and i went out in el nino waves (like 10ft) and got pummelled, but we made it out...that was stupid, because obviously there was no visibility but we were testosterone fueled lol

casual_lee

Reaction score
Visit site
no boat or kayak. I'm limited to the piers. Most people don't believe me when I tell them that you can catch 'em from the pier. If only i had friends with boats. :(

S

sportrider

my brother "roadryder08" is into scuba. he is alway trying to get me to go. I'll mention this to him maybe you guys can hook up.

dbay125

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in Marina Del Ray with my wife till Saturday. I own a boat that we stay on while in S Ca. If you have the hoop nets, I have a boat. I have wanted to try it and hate to go buy nets for a day trip. I can't seem to find anyone that rents them. So if you want to go call me. 916 591 0966. Lets talk and see if we are able to get out for a lobster night fishing.

Hey guys,

Anybody else a scuba diver? Are you hunting lobsters now?! :) I'm willing to head out with anyone after work these days!

Diving experience:
10years, SSI Advanced Instructor, 600+ dives (stopped logging).

I have my lobster license and am ready to head out, but going solo while having multiple advantages, isn't as fun when you can brag to your buddy at the car about having a bigger.....lobster!!!

shout out divers and let's dive!

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Cool man, I've only got 1 net though. I had planned on dropping it off my zodiac, then dropping myself off the side of it as well ;) then pulling it up after I dove for lobsters to see what it brings up.

A friend of mine reports big bugs in his hoop net down in Orange County.

Not sure about the weather and heading out this week with rain. Bugs would be out though I think.

dbay125

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like I need to break down and buy a few nets. Let me know if you head out. It is nice and roomy on the boat. I am here 50% of the time. Most of the time with out my wife. So I let you know when I am back. Maybe we can get a few people to head out and give it a try.

Robert

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Umm... I'm clueless to the whole lobster hunting process and don't dive unfortunately. But this sounds like a blast. I would love to help/assist in any way, even a FZ meet would be cool.

PM me or email to [email protected]

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like I need to break down and buy a few nets. Let me know if you head out. It is nice and roomy on the boat. I am here 50% of the time. Most of the time with out my wife. So I let you know when I am back. Maybe we can get a few people to head out and give it a try.

Robert

Wall Mart has some fairly nice ones for cheap right now, I think they were about $35. They're black metal hoops with green rope, and they come with the the three rope harness and float. I just bought a couple for the Dungeness season up here in NorCal and tried them out yesterday, worked great!
If I lived down there I'd totally go pull some bugs with you guys. I love diving and fishing. Haven't used my SCUBA rig in a while though, mostly freedive up here.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I suggest a Promar 32'' hoop net. It's the best with a small area to put your bait in between net so there's no zip tying or anything. Available at the local bait shop usually for about $25-27. Don't forget to pick up the Mackerel while at the bait shop...and a bucket to place your live lobsters in sea water.

Other than that, beer is always good to bring along. Usually available at the shady liquor store next to your bait shop LOL

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
I suggest a Promar 32'' hoop net. It's the best with a small area to put your bait in between net so there's no zip tying or anything. Available at the local bait shop usually for about $25-27. Don't forget to pick up the Mackerel while at the bait shop...and a bucket to place your live lobsters in sea water.

Other than that, beer is always good to bring along. Usually available at the shady liquor store next to your bait shop LOL

That's a great deal on hoop nets, my local bait shop needs to work on their prices!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So many cool hobbies, so little time... :(

That sounds like so much fun, and I freakin' LOVE lobster... :drool: