• Sell the FZ!

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Upgrade the FZ!

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

lastlaugh

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had the FZ for a year and a half, it is my first bike. It's a great bike, enough power for a novice rider (like me) and I wouldn't consider selling except for the lack of an adjustable suspension. (I'm 6'2'' 265lbs) A few friends of mine who are experienced riders say I would benfit from an adjustable suspension and a V-Twin or 3 cylinder. They also ride European bikes. So the question is do I spend the money on R6 forks + Ohlins rear set-up or get another bike? The 4 bikes that have caught my eye are the KTM Super Duke 990, Triumph Speed Triple, Triumph Street Triple R and the Honda CB1000R. I am leaning more towards the KTM but having never ridden any of those bikes I can't say for sure.

I usually ride during nice weather and in the middle of the day during the week. I don't have a long commute when I do ride to work and I never take long trips. I mostly ride on back roads with lots of turns. Having a bike is purely for entertainment. Also, my wife is pregnant and expecting our first child in March so if I get another bike I'd like to do it before then while I have the money.

I might have someone who wants to buy my Fz6 and I wouldn't accept below a certain price.
List of mods are:
Hyperpro springs front and rear and 15wt oil
Venhill brake lines and Motul fluid
Michelin PR3's
Naked conversion via the Aztec8 7" round headlight
FZ1 bars
Adjustable levers
FZ8 mirrors
Motodynamic LED taillight
Watsen Design LED indicators.

I know this being an FZ forum what most of you will say, but I'd appreciate any opinions, especially from more experienced riders.

Last edited:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Try as many bikes as you can. Life is short. I vote for the Triumph Speed Triple, or Triumph Street Triple R. How about the Street Triple R for a season or two, then try the Speed Triple.:rockon:

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the KTM Super Duke 990. If you are feeling the itch to mix it up I say go for it. The FZ6 is a fine bike imo, but there are lots of fine bikes out there and it would be nice to have one that suited your needs.

lastlaugh

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. Pending some test rides the Street Triple R is looking very tempting. I really don't feel the need to get a liter bike due to self control reasons...but I think I could get used to it.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Meh... I've never had a complaint about the power. The suspension, yes, but not the power. Every time I think I might want more power, I take it past 8k, and remember it's got a bunch more power that I rarely ever touch. :D

To be fair, I also commute on mine, but I ride 25 miles each way, 4 days a week, and the bike is the difference between >45mpg and a fun ride, or <20mpg and a boring drive in my truck. I doubt I'd have any more fun with a bigger engine (without getting tickets) and I couldn't justify keeping a bike for fuel saving if I was getting 30-35mpg on it.

I'd love something with adjustable inverted forks and a better (linked) rear suspension, but I settled for R6 forks. I kept my eyes open, and got everything but the spacer kit for $200 shipped, so I've got about $350 into the swap with the spacers and new brake pads... and I might end up with the cheapo Ohlins shock this winter. I don't really want a sportbike, the extra insurance cost, or having to modify the riding position and still having an uncomfortable sportbike seat. I wouldn't turn down a more exotic standard, but again I can't justify the cost.

Remember, you say you want to buy a more expensive bike now before the kid... but when you've got the kid and you're riding less, it's more tempting to sell the bike that you've got more money tied up in. ;) Every time I think about selling my $2k bike, I just think how few tanks of gas I could put in my truck with the money I'd get for it. :D

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Meh... I've never had a complaint about the power. The suspension, yes, but not the power. Every time I think I might want more power, I take it past 8k, and remember it's got a bunch more power that I rarely ever touch. :D

To be fair, I also commute on mine, but I ride 25 miles each way, 4 days a week, and the bike is the difference between >45mpg and a fun ride, or <20mpg and a boring drive in my truck. I doubt I'd have any more fun with a bigger engine (without getting tickets) and I couldn't justify keeping a bike for fuel saving if I was getting 30-35mpg on it.

I'd love something with adjustable inverted forks and a better (linked) rear suspension, but I settled for R6 forks. I kept my eyes open, and got everything but the spacer kit for $200 shipped, so I've got about $350 into the swap with the spacers and new brake pads... and I might end up with the cheapo Ohlins shock this winter. I don't really want a sportbike, the extra insurance cost, or having to modify the riding position and still having an uncomfortable sportbike seat. I wouldn't turn down a more exotic standard, but again I can't justify the cost.

Remember, you say you want to buy a more expensive bike now before the kid... but when you've got the kid and you're riding less, it's more tempting to sell the bike that you've got more money tied up in. ;) Every time I think about selling my $2k bike, I just think how few tanks of gas I could put in my truck with the money I'd get for it. :D

^^+1

The only advice I can really offer is to N-E-V-E-R part with your toy, until the replacement is ALREADY IN THE DRIVEWAY.:Flip::D

./ .02, following.....

If you're expecting a child, I would personally recommend not taking on any new bills. Kids have a way of sucking up all available funds. And then some.

If you own your current bike outright, that is a much more justifiable 'hang on to it when things get tight' than a different, exotic, high insurance bike with payments would be. Really tough to justify a $4-500/mo outlay when the baby or mama needs something. Especially if mama feels jealous of your toy.

There is always going to be another sexier bike on the horizon. There will be such a machine in your future, regardless of what you are riding right now. They keep making them better, regardless of what you own at present.

I'd suggest sucking it up for now, and reaping the benefit later.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Even if it's paid for... the temptation to sell a more expensive bike is gonna be more. If you've got $8k tied up in the driveway ornament you rarely ride, you're probably going to look at it every time and go "Man, I really could use 8 grand about now..."

I look at my bike and think "I really get more out of riding that I'd get out of $2000..." :D

Having a kid(s) already cramps riding time enough. Mine hardly leaves the driveway except back and forth to school. I don't have much free time outside of that and work, so I try to spend as much of that time with the wife and kids, and it's hard to fit 3 passengers on the FZ, even if 2 of them are tiny. :p

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tuono V4R APRC. No mods needed, it just works right out of the box.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

lastlaugh

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the local triumph dealer is closed on Mondays and I have to work tomorrow. I guess I'll try again on Wednesday.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
the Trips are awesome bikes. really reliable too, guy that works across the street has one with 25k miles and not the first problem. its not a ton of miles but the average rider doesn't put that many miles on a bike.

if you get a big bike, most likely the wheelbase will increase and you will lose the flickability of the FZ6. Its the only reason there isnt an FZ! in my garage next to my bike and dad's BMW r1150. just another thing to consider.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Street Triple, or R
Speed Triple, or R, 2010
Tuano

All definite bikes I would consider.
But I have to say the

FZ1
Z1000
Ninja 1000(Z with more wind protection)

Would definately be up there as well. Just sayin....
No specific order.

Last edited: