Might be trading up for a s1000RR

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
mmmmmmmm! Sports Bikes :spank:

Enough has been said already ie pro's & cons of buying the BMW so I will keep my 2c short.

S1000RR for the track. A beast of a bike with an electronics package to dumb it down enough for us mere mortals to ride one.

GSX R750. Awesome bike. Not too much power like it's 1000cc brothers but handles like a dream & still has enough power to get you in to trouble. Cheaper :D

Or

Latest SS bike to hit the market. 675R

Ohlins, front & back. Brembo brakes & quick shifter comes standard :thumbup:

Triumph Motorcycles - New Daytona 675R

Good luck with your new choice of toy. I wish I had your options :D

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
If I had the cash to drop on one of these, I would do it in a heartbeat. The bike is so awesome. I love it in black. Problem is I can't afford one on my military budget.

I should have a little over $15k saved up by October, but that's going towards a down payment on a house.

Oh well, I'm still young.

FYI you know with a VA loan you don't have to put down a down payment. I used it and I didn't put any money down.

You may already know that but I just wanted to make sure.

Sorry for the thread hack

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're really in love with it, what other reason would you need? Sometimes you just have to go with what you want, others' opinions and practicality be damned. There's nothing quite like walking out in the morning, and looking at a moto/car you love, and then enjoying taking it out! For example, I took my Mazda Protege from a nice, comfy practical stock economy car, into a unpractical rides-like-a-skateboard tire shredding mountain road car. All my friends though I was crazy for pouring that much cash into a car just to make it handle, but I didn't do it for them, I did it for me. And you know what? It was totally worth it! I love looking at, and I love driving it even more. It was well worth the trial and error, the sweat and work put into, and all the money. Same with my two motorcycles! I love them both, and wouldn't trade them for anything. :thumbup: Remember, you're buying it for YOU. You're the one that's going to have to pay for and ride it. Once I rode my father's FZ6, and found that blue '06 that would soon be mine, I knew I had to have it. Period. Didn't care what anyone said or thought, that was going to my next moto. "Oh, this ones cheaper, less miles, more practical, faster, blah blah blah.." NO. I'm getting what I'm getting. And I love this FZ more and more each time I ride it!

Last edited:

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
CDE, you said:

So, you're basically buying a fine tool that does a job that you won't be doing on it, at a pretty high cost while you're still in school. Sexiness and pride of ownership are great qualities, but they don't always last very long. Granted I've inherited/learned my Dad's "lived-thru-the-Depression" frugalness (although I don't take a vise-grip to the end of a tube of toothpaste to get the last bit out, like he did :rolleyes:).
But, that's just me. You're obviously not afraid to paint your FZ (its beautiful, btw) so why not just glop some Bondo around one headlight, paint some red and blue stripes on your FZ, and call it good? It'll fool most of the chicks, anyway... ;)

Haha, well, when you put it that way...

What I meant is that I don't push it ALL the time. If it was about glam and chicks I'd buy a Ducatti.

You are missing the point of a person like me buying a machine like the 1000RR - I would certainly be buying a fine tool, however, it will do exactly what I want it to do exceedingly well. Riding the motor cycle isn't about using that tool to it's full potential...there would be far too many deaths and accidents if that was ever the case. I've owned a few Skylines and have had my fair share of fun on the roadways, but I don't enjoy pushing my bike like I do pushing my cars. It feels way more safe in the car because I know it's limits. On the bike, if you make a mistake the consequences are much worse...I've never hurt myself in the car (or other people for that matter); but I have on the bike - hit some dirt on the road last season around a slow hairpin and the bike was sideways before I knew what was going on (finally getting it fixed right now). That happened so fast, and I was only going 30kph. I'm a control freak, and in having a superior machine, I will have superior control/comfort and more confidence as a result. You only live once and have to enjoy the finer things in life when you're able too!

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
mmmmmmmm! Sports Bikes :spank:

Enough has been said already ie pro's & cons of buying the BMW so I will keep my 2c short.

S1000RR for the track. A beast of a bike with an electronics package to dumb it down enough for us mere mortals to ride one.

GSX R750. Awesome bike. Not too much power like it's 1000cc brothers but handles like a dream & still has enough power to get you in to trouble. Cheaper :D

Or

Latest SS bike to hit the market. 675R

Ohlins, front & back. Brembo brakes & quick shifter comes standard :thumbup:

Triumph Motorcycles - New Daytona 675R

Good luck with your new choice of toy. I wish I had your options :D

I freaking love the Triumph sport bikes but the BMW is fairly similar price... A buddy has a Triumph and has had some pretty big issues with it and has had a real hard time with warranty etc. Not just that, it takes forever to get parts. For an extra 3 grand to go to the BMW the warranty is a 3 year unlimited miles, and my buddy works in the service department so I know it's no hassle. Still an awesome bike non-the-less.

I agree...the 750 gixxer is a solid choice. Good aftermarket support, great handling, quite a few bells and whistles, cheaper insurance (compared to a 1L bike)...but again, pretty close to the BMW's price, warranty is only 1 year. If I don't get the work this summer I would be tempted to look for a used one instead of buying a new bike. But at the same time, I've also bought a new exhaust this week for the FZ, and when I get her back from the shop she will be better than new so I probably would just keep her.

And thanks novaks47, sounds like you enjoy your vehicles for the same reasons I do. I had a Skyline (R32) that had pretty much every major component upgraded. I could spin through all gears if wanted. I could blow away even most motorcycles on the highway. I'm pretty sure a guy in a 911 nearly **** himself when I passed him once my turbo spooled. My car had an external wastegate so it was rather loud when under boost and spat out huge fireballs when shifting (ran it a little rich for high boost). Was so freaking awesome. But I moved and having 2 cars because unpractical so I sold her, and my winter beater and just have a average-ish car along with my FZ. If I lived in a warmer climate I would buy the BMW today, and get a crappy car to just drive when I need too (which isn't much). Buuuut, I don't so my car has to be fairly reliable. *sigh*

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, yep, looks like we're the same! I'm way faster in my car than on my FZ, for the same reasons. It's so funny when people in their stock cars try to catch or beat me in my Mazda in the twisties! I guess they're just used to all the ricers with their "for appearances only" lowering springs cruising around all slow. They usually try and keep up or try to pull away, then just pull over shortly after in frustration. Priceless! :D And you sold your baby?!! HERESY! lol I'll never sell my Mazda. Since it's no longer commute-friendly, I got a little beater Suzuki Aerio for that purpose. Well, that and the FZ6 of course! You can never have too many vehicles. :thumbup:

Last edited:

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
So a long time has passed since I started this and I rode a few other bikes and finally landed on this!

a 2008 CBR1000RR. So sweet. Taylormade exhaust and CF shroud and fender eliminator kit (sounds so awesome), power commander, and a few other small things. Only 4000KM on her. A real gem. And half the price (or even less than that) as the BMW. Perhaps another day...I love bimmers. But this CBR really impressed me. Handling is amazing and power is ... well, there's power power and more power. But very controllable and very comfortable to ride, especially in the twists!! Was much nicer in most ways than the GSXR750 I took out.

I still have the FZ and she's for sale! A lot of sweat blood and tears went into that bike. She was good to me and will treat her next owner very well, for that I'm certain.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations! One of the best supersports ever made!. Watch the midband on that motor! It will surprise you! :BLAA:

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations! One of the best supersports ever made!. Watch the midband on that motor! It will surprise you! :BLAA:

Surprise you? More like fall off the back of the bike Wile E. Coyote style!!!

I've put a few hundred K on the last few days and been having a lot of fun getting to know this machine. Being 435lbs (wet) and having 170+hp...there's loads of power throughout the rev range. It's a precision instrument...right up my alley. Hoping to do a longer trip next weekend weather permitting and then I'll get to see just how less comfortable this bike is than my FZ. lol I think I may wear my wrist bands (the ones you use to work out, weight lifting type of ones) to perhaps help out my one lame wrist (tendonitis has flared up). At east it's not my throttle hand so I can rest it often while on the hwy.