Middleweight Tourer Suggestions?

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
So the past 3.5 my FZ6 has been my commuter and occasional 2up bike. I'm toying with the idea of replacing it with something a little more comfortable, for both longer solo rides and light 2up touring. I've experimented with 3 different seats and 2 different handlebars and risers on my FZ6. After 2-3 hours solo it starts getting uncomfy, and ~2 hours 2up we're both uncomfy and its feeling cramped. We're fine for a day trip about 100 miles total, but that's about it. But we've done 2 weekend trips to VT about 400-700 miles, which have both sucked, especially the ride home.

I'm not really interested in a big sport-tourer like a FJR or ST1300, or a cruiser. If I wanted something big and heavy like that I'd rather go Goldwing. A Goldwing 800ish would be ideal. Plus my wife found my dads Vstar650 cruiser even less comfortable than my old ZX6R. I'm pretty sure bikes along the lines of a VFR800's lean too much to the sporty side of sport touring for my wants here, and probably not enough passenger comfort to have my wife excited for a trip to Vermont. I don't care about factory luggage, the Givi's I have are bigger and more practical than most OEM luggage, so I'd buy the Givi racks for whatever. For the 2-up weekend trips, we're about 350lbs, plus gear, plus 2 duffel bags of clothes, but I've never wished for more power than my FZ6 has. I'm not railing any corners 2-up, it's a relaxed pace, and I'd consider registering my CBR in case I did want to go out for a solo spirited ride.

A couple bikes have come across my radar which have got me more seriously considering this, but I'm not going to mention them yet. Looking for suggestions on bikes I should be considering. Thanks in advance!

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
What about a triumph 1050 Tiger? I've toured a lot on my Speed Triple, amazing engine. The Tiger would give you a bit more room for a pillion.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ I've heard the '15 model (1200) is VERY LIMITED, (either 100 or 200 coming to the states) and it isn't cheap...

Power delivery is very, very different with the opposed twin as well...

The 800, not hard to get...

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my Sprint ST. It is lighter than the VFR800 (hubby has it & I've ridden it). Mine's an 06. The newer ones are a bit longer than mine, but not as big as an FJR. I've done an 8 day trip up into Canada from Northern Nevada with just OEM saddlbags. I had everything I needed (rain gear included). With GIVI trunk/bags you would be set for 2up.

I test rode a BMW F800GT. While I loved the bike (my dealer was a d*ck so I went with the Sprint), I wouldn't consider it compfy for 2up. It felt small to me.

My hubby has the 6th gen VFR800. He loves it. While it looks as big as an FJR, etc. I doesn't feel it when riding. We've ridden it 2up before and I was very comfy for a 300 mile day. We haven't toured on it because I always ride my own now. He has just the GIVI trunk on it. He puts a duffle bag on the passenger seat when we go for a week or more. That's mostly to carry rain gear, covers, tools, oil, tripod, etc. I really like the look of the 5th gen VFR800. Hubby test rode a 7th gen and didn't like it too much. He said it felt neutered even though was actually a big engine than his (1200cc).

Good luck! Let us know what you pick.

The Tiger has the same engine as my Sprint (but only 800 vs. 1050). Love my Triumphs. Can't fault the triple....

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another nice bike with a parallel twin that develops good low end torque that gives better touring characteristics than inline 4s of the same cc range. Good mileage and the option of cargo and 2 up riding while keeping in an economical gas range...
2015 kawasaki 650 versys
versys-5.jpg

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Took out a friend's VFR1200 for ~90 miles last night. Too sportbikey for me, and frankly, I don't need all the power of a 1000cc bike. Or the fuel economy either, that bike sucked down 3.1 gallons of premium in about 90 miles. I feel like the ergonomics of the 800 are similar, but I've got a few friends with 6th gens who have offered to let me take test rides. Yeah rolling on the throttle from 70 to 120 in 3 seconds is fun every once in a while, but I think I prefer using more of a smaller motor.

Right now I think I'm leaning towards the Vstrom 650. I've read a handful of comparisons between the Vstrom and the Versys. The consensus seems to be that the Versys is better for the twisties, whereas the Vstrom is better for logging the miles. I feel like the Versys is pretty close to the sportiness of the FZ6.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Add the SW Motech skid plate and your ready for a great bang for the buck proven winner that they've made even better through the years!

dl650xta_gry_l5_p2.jpg

Serzedo

Reaction score
www.mototurismoadois.pt.vu
Anything but the Deauville... Anything but that one!

I would go for the Suzuki GSX1250FA, or the new Yamaha Tracer (that motorcycle is awesome).

Personally I don't find the FZ6 Fazer that uncomfortable, since me and my girlfriend did rides of around 500 km's in a day.

"V"