Michelin Pilot Road 3 Review

Chaotic29

Reaction score
Visit site
Pr3's were put on at 32,750 miles, and just took them off at 51,000 miles. That is a little over 18k miles on a set of tires!! (15,000 commuting/ the rest spirited weekend riding)

Great tires! I would recommend them to anyone that is going to be commuting. They were also awesome for weekend rides in the twisties. I was always comfortable with them cornering and confident in their performance, and I could easily anticipate what they would do even when scraping my peg feelers.

As shown in the crappy pics, the front looks amazing for 18k miles, just some cupping along the sides, but decent wear for the miles.
The rear was getting pretty bad / bald, I could have got more miles out of it but not many that I would feel completely confident with, especially with it starting to rain more.
1/4 of the rear was completely smooth, and the other 3/4 still had tread in the middle. They did not square off near as bad as other sets of tires I have had.

Amazing tires! I would have bought them again but decided to try the new pr4's (280 shipped to my door) since they were significantly less than the pr3's.

rockymountainatvmc FTW!

f49cd98520c0182082bec0103dc3a650.jpg
46b01f67780c7a904e6098783213342f.jpg
a1b50528f6ded496c8f835b7e5f6cf1f.jpg
98225b6e8da32baf70b65fbe465a19ea.jpg

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Let us know how the PR4's work out. I'm running PR3's on my 2012 CBR600RR and have about 10,000 on them. Don't do track days so they work great for me. I've scuffed them up a time or two with spirited cornering but the stick well enough for my skills and the street AND they work very well in the wet, the cold and the wet n cold. My rear is starting to get a little thin but nothing like yours but and starting to think about replacing it and thinking of the PR4 but think about the newer Pilot Powers (forget the #) but come back to the PR3/PR4 when it is cold outside.

I'm tired of the 30's and 40's and am ready for spring! Big sigh.

Chaotic29

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got the pr4's on and commuted to class. For only having 40 miles on them so far I really like them. They seem to want to lean over easier in the corners. But I am probably biased when comparing a brand new tire to a worn out shot tire. $320 for the pr4's (mounted and all extra expenses) right now compared to $380 for the pr3's (mounted and all extra expenses) right now when I was looking for new tires. So far they seem just as good as the 3's

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They seem to want to lean over easier in the corners. But I am probably biased when comparing a brand new tire to a worn out shot tire.

Indeed. Your RP3's were fairly squared off, so almost any tire would have better initial turn in. After they are scrubbed in you should feel more confidence from the additional grip (traction) once leaned over.

That is impressive service life on the PR3's.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed - that was why I changed my front PR3...the tire cost was $135 plus labor 45 so it was $180 front replacement for me..and I love it grip!

My rear's getting some sign of square'ish now...next will be PR3 on the rear...

This should be the way how motorcycle tires will last ...not like 8K - 12K miles to change them...and then for those commuting riders it will be like $300-400/year for just the tire - and the cost is not practicle anymore to ride a bike..:)

I tend to ride my PR3 to the same mileage like yours...that's what saving, benefits will be for just riding a motorcycle beside the gas, freedom, time

Ride safe my fellow riders!...I haven't ridden 3 days since the California raining (Southern CA)...but will be riding tomorrow :)