Met The Pavement This Morning

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
I am still trying to figure out exactly what happened as it happened so quickly.

I was on the way to work on the feeder of the freeway following a van. The van was cut off and we both hit the brakes hard. In that moment it all went south. First thing I remember was my left knee hitting then I was getting up. Weird thing is that I went down left but the bike ended up resting on the right side. The guy got of his van helped me pick up the bike, and I asked him did I hit your van, and he said yes but by looking at it I can't tell.

I am beginning to think that I endoed the the bike because the back of the bike has virtually no damage and some how it flipped back to the other side. Bike didn't get the chance to slide much cause the van which was close and stopped the slide.

I am ok except my big toe is smashed. I was wearing full gear and it worked, no bruise or rash on the knee.

All of the front plastic on the bike took the brunt of the collision. Also, the starter cover is gashed an has small leak. I was able to drive the bike home, about 16 miles or so.

I am glad I decided to wear my riding pants today!!

Its time to find some parts so I can get the fizzer back on the road.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
ATGATT wins again, glad you're not hurt (too bad). What boots did you have on that didn't quite protect your foot?

All I can think is that you've over stressed the grip on the front end and it's washed out, then its bounced off the van and ended up lying on the other side.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
ATGATT! Really works, glad to hear your are pretty much ok. Easier to get parts for the bike than it is you.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! Get that toe better and take your time accessing what happened.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear but #1 glad you're OK.

Perhaps you did the stoppie but didn't grip the tank so your weight was violently thrown forward before you tumbled off one way and then the bike the other.

Once you get the bike back on the road, practicing emergency stops would be a good way to rebuild confidence.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hang and in the and thanks for sharing. Glad your OK!
We can work on the bike later....

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i'd get checked out by a doctor too, sounds like you could have concussion. Is there any damage to your helmet indicating you might have hit your head?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are relatively alright. The worry I have if I have to do an emergency stop in traffic is some idiot on my tail running me over. When I'm merging or in stop and go traffic I usually stay toward the outside of the lane (toward the shoulder) so if I have to stop fast or the idiot behind me doesn't I can escape onto the shoulder to avoid becoming the meat in a steel sandwich!

Good job wearing your gear. I just started wearing my riding pants over my jeans all the time and I feel so much more prepared for the possibility of pavement kissing!

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're OK. Motorcycle parts and gear are replaceable, human parts not so much.

Is there anything you might have done differently that maybe others could benefit from hearing about? I know I always try to learn something from my crashes so not to repeat the same mistakes. Normally, there's more than 1 contributor to a crash. Were there several, road conditions, visibility, etc.?

Thanks for sharing:thumbup:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No ballet and pirouettes for you
But glad your in one piece
Ride safe when you get your ride back cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now it would appear to work beautifully thx TT and Dennis

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're OK. Motorcycle parts and gear are replaceable, human parts not so much.

Is there anything you might have done differently that maybe others could benefit from hearing about? I know I always try to learn something from my crashes so not to repeat the same mistakes. Normally, there's more than 1 contributor to a crash. Were there several, road conditions, visibility, etc.?

Thanks for sharing:thumbup:

I was on the outside of the inside lane and on this particular stretch people are constantly either flying by you in the right lane or slowing down quickly to cut in so they can get on the freeway. I didn't have many options for "Escape" in this instance. I try to all ways ride in a position where I can hit the shoulder or go between cars at a light if need be to avoid being rear ended. If I was to do something differently decrease my speed a little and increase my following distance.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
UHcougarJohn;578289 If I was to do something differently decrease my speed a little and increase my following distance.[/QUOTE said:
...and that can end up being more valuable than full gear. So many overdrive/ride their reaction/stopping distance (gotta keep other from cutting in or ...?) Thanks for a great post!