Meguiar's Metal Polish + Mothers PowerCone

C

CoolATIGuy

Ok, THANKS to Erci and everyone else that contributed!

I went to PepBoys and picked up some Waterproof 1500 grit sandpaper (less than $3 for 4 sheets, which is enough for headers that are just discolored). Wow! I can't believe I tried to do it with just polish before...probably didn't even *need* to buy the PowerCone, although it did make the job a little easier.

It took about 5-10 min to remove the headers and about 10-15 to reinstall(easy - the same size head on all 8 bolts at the front, the bolted hose clamp at the back, and the bolt on the extra bracket on the side - the ratchet extension made the job easier). Less than a 2 hour job including removing the headers and reinstalling, for a newb, so roughly an hour of sanding and 20-30 min of polishing? Granted I had done quite a bit of work on 2 of the pipes the other day, but the wet sandpaper helped a TON!

NOTE: I did hit up Wal-Mart for the sandpaper - they have a sandpaper section near the paints - but couldn't find anything finer than a 400 grit or so. 1500 grit feels pretty similar to a chalkboard. Also make sure you get the wet or dry/waterproof kind - I kept mine pretty wet and it held up tremendously.

Check out the before and after pics!

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
Lookin' great!

It was probably a lot easier to do with the headers off -- but I was too lazy for all that.

C

CoolATIGuy

A few more pics...

1: taken off of bike (had polished 2 pipes already on the bike the other day, but no sandpaper yet).

2: sanded

3: polished, final product

C

CoolATIGuy

It was probably a lot easier to do with the headers off -- but I was too lazy for all that.

To each his own, but I really suggest it - you can take it to the living room and work in the AC. :D Either way it's an odd shape though...kinda hard to hold and polish some of the sides. And make sure you get good lighting so you can see the reflection and what spots you missed.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay so the investment in time is not massive, but how long before it needs re-doing and what can be applied to stop or slow down the "bronzing"
I've only got about 3k on the clock and mine are the same colours as the ones in the pic before the whole treatment began. I really like the new clean look but I can live with the discoloured look too as long as the pipes are clean like the rest of the bike