Maybe buying a 2009 FZ6 - what should I look for?

BCinMD

Reaction score
Visit site
First post - and won't be my last if things go well this evening.

I am going to be looking at this 2009 FZ6 tonight:

3Ea3I43Ne5L15H15J2d5m2c90871cc6541f54.jpg

Seller's description:
"For Sale - Yamaha FZ6 600cc with just over 2036 miles. Upgraded gel seat with LED rear brake light otherwise all stock. Purchased in 2010 from local dealer with maintenance plan (6 month oil change and PM checks). Clean title. Garage kept in storage unit. Have black soft bags for bike. Plenty of horsepower for starter bike or commuter. Great fuel economy and available Yamaha touring accessories."

What should I be looking for in a 2009? Are there any potential trouble-spots I should be aware of? With just 2000 miles on it, I think the tires will be OK. Seller is asking $4400 and has stated that is a firm price. Does that seem reasonable if the bike is in excellent condition?

FWIW - this would be my fourth bike. I started out on a 96 Honda Nighthawk 750, sold that and tried out one of those big touring scooters for a while, then moved to my current little thumper - a 2011 Suzuki TU250x. The TU is a hoot to ride as it is lightweight and you can twist the throttle to the stop and still not get into trouble. But I miss the smooth inline 4 of my Nighthawk, and the FZ6 is the closest thing to the do-it-all standard with an I4 out there IMO.

Thanks!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
With mileage that low the only thing to look out for is signs that the bike has been dropped, check the frame well with a flashlight for cracks as well, Check the tires for uneven wear which would be indicative of an alignment issue. Other than that, most of the bugs on the FZ6 had been worked out by 2007 model.

Good luck! Sounds like a great price for riding season, depending on what seat that is, a good seat upgrade can run $500. If it's a real LED tail light conversion (not just an LED bulb) that is a worthwhile mod.

If you want to try haggling on the price, it is NOT recommended to run 6 year old motorcycle tires. 5 years is about as long as you want to go on any motorcycle tire, regardless of miles. Dry rot and grip degrade pretty quickly after that 5 year mark, especially on bikes that were not stored in climate control.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like a great deal. What FIZ said.. just check if it's been dropped (usually scratches on clutch / crankcase covers and / or bent rear brake / shifter.
Tires, though they may look newish, may actually need to be swapped out, if you want really good grip. They have to be quite dry by now.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
4400 is a steal, IMO. Both upgrades are also good, the stock seat for some (including me) leaves a bit to be desired after an hour or so.

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's about what I paid for my 09 last March, and those look like the stock tires so you'll probably need to replace them (as they are WELL past their shelf life if they are stock). I'd also peek in the tank and look for signs of rust. 2000 miles in four years means the bike has done quite a bit of sitting...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The main thing I what look for would be some cool roads to ride cuz yer gonna be lovin that FZ6!:BLAA:

:welcome:to the awesome forum! :rockon::p

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
That seat looks like the Yamaha gel seat, which lines up with the ad. It's not a $500 upgrade like some of the other seats, so keep your hopes realistic on that.

Some people really like them, others don't. I sold mine shortly after getting it with the bike because it didn't work for me. I think I fetched ~$125 for it and replaced it with a used Corbin for ~$200.

+1 on the tire info here. Check the date codes. If they are original, I personally would be replacing them in short order.

Loren

Last edited: