Master brake cylinder tap for mirror install

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

Where exactly do you drill/tap the master cylinder? I need to mount mirrors to finish my nakedness (pics tomorrow), but can't figure out where to drill through, can anyone take an upclose pic of this done?

Thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a picture but I did drill and tap the casting for a mirror. It will be a blind hole and not a through hole. It can be a little tricky and if you haven't done this type of drill and tap and you may want to enlist the help of someone who has experience drilling and tapping. You will see an area on the perch that is circular where it can be drilled and tapped.

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
It is a 10mm x 1.25 thread you need a left handed thread for factory mirror but if it is a after market mirror you can use a standard right handed thread tap

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you take the master cylinder off your bike to drill/tap, and if so, can it be drilled with an electrical hand drill just making sure approximately 90° angle is achieved or... do you have to use a machine to have the perfect 90° angle?

I might be over-complicating this, but I really don't wanna mess it up cause finding a spare won't be too easy.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you take the master cylinder off your bike to drill/tap, and if so, can it be drilled with an electrical hand drill just making sure approximately 90° angle is achieved or... do you have to use a machine to have the perfect 90° angle?

I might be over-complicating this, but I really don't wanna mess it up cause finding a spare won't be too easy.

You can do it on the bike but as you state, the closer to 90 degree's, the better. They'll be a lock nut to lock the mirror into place so it'll hide some.

If you have the time and a drill press, IMHO, I'd drill it in the press for a perfect 90 degree's. I'd also start the tap while the piece is still on drill press, again to keep it perfect. I use a 1/4" drill bit inserted (smooth end of the bit into the chuck) into the chuck holes to slowly turn the chuck with the tap (DO NOT TURN ON THE DRILL WITH THE TAP INSERTED). You won't be able to finish the full tapping on the press but once its started and your carefull, it'll stay straight.

Good luck

Last edited:

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

Can you confirm the marked area needs to be drilled, thanks

drill_tap.jpg