Marvel Mystery Oil no longer a mystery!

gocartone

Reaction score
Visit site
I just want to make sure I read this correctly; you put oil in your gas?

X2!! Run straight gas and straight oil, no need for additives. Seafoam and other fuel system cleaners are good to do once in a while, but you were running it in every tank?? And were you running that stuff in your oil too, it's hard to tell. It is certainly NOT made to be ran with oil. You can run it in your oil shortly before doing an oil change as it thins everything out, but running it with fresh oil is a horrible idea.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
X2!! Run straight gas and straight oil, no need for additives. Seafoam and other fuel system cleaners are good to do once in a while, but you were running it in every tank?? And were you running that stuff in your oil too, it's hard to tell. It is certainly NOT made to be ran with oil. You can run it in your oil shortly before doing an oil change as it thins everything out, but running it with fresh oil is a horrible idea.

Per the Seafoam can, it is indeed directed to be used in the crankcase.

As a side note, I have an old lawnmower (6HP B&S engine) for cutting the vacant lot that smokes just a puff upon start up. I tried just a little bit in the oil (and fuel) to see if it'd help, nope, still puffs. More likely from old age, worn rings, etc..

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Sea foam is ok, if used like its soposed to. Think that big can is mostly sold for cars. Don't dump the whole thing in there. Our bikes are not weed eaters. We don't need to lube the rings by oiling gas. But if you want to have a little fun, try premium 93-95 octane, I wouldn't recommend race gas, but hey to each his own i guess.

Never used MMO. A tad bit thicker oil in the summer or some extender does well.

Last edited:

gocartone

Reaction score
Visit site
Per the Seafoam can, it is indeed directed to be used in the crankcase.

Do some research on it. I've never had it in there for 50 miles, and I for sure wouldn't go anymore than 100 miles with the Seafoam added to the oil before I changed the oil. It's for cleaning out all the crap in your crankcase, and you really don't want that stuff floating around very long once it's knocked free.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do some research on it. I've never had it in there for 50 miles, and I for sure wouldn't go anymore than 100 miles with the Seafoam added to the oil before I changed the oil. It's for cleaning out all the crap in your crankcase, and you really don't want that stuff floating around very long once it's knocked free.

I just posted whats on the can...

Its never been in the crankcase of my FZ or SUV. As posted above, I do run a little bit in the crankcase of the lawn mower.

If your engine is really nasty inside, it may or may not clean, but in either case, I would be changing the oil filter as it should catch alll that crap now loosened up...

ANY engine (generator, chipper shredder, pressure cleaner, etc) I store, it gets a little bit of Seafoam in the top end (remove the spark plug) and spun over (with the plug out to distribute the oil). This is to prevent any rust, etc in the top end. I also make sure its on the compression cycle with the piston at TDC and valves closed to keep moisture/critters out. All my engines, stored this way, start on the first pull, smokes a bit, but it clears up..

*As a side note (I posted this previously), my friend got a 500 Kawi twin with very clogged carbs from sitting under a tarp (in Florida) for years with an almost empty tank (less than 800 mile on the clock).

Of course it wouldn't start even with a new battery. I offered to pull the carbs and clean the jets, but he didn't want to mess with it.

At my suggestion, we drained the carbs and put straight Seafoam down the fuel line filling both carbs. After sitting for several hours, we drained the Seafoam, filled with fresh fuel and tried starting.

After several attempts, it cranked up, ran on one cylinder and eventually the other...

After heating up, the bike ran like a champ, carbs, NEVER REMOVED. I like Seafoam but I was really surprised it worked that well!!

It gets used as a preventive measure in most all my machines (fuel) including occasionally my FZ.. Been using it for at least a decade.

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
This thread is like a Jerry Springer show! Never been a big fan oil oil additive. I just buy better oil instead. Those magic potion stuff work great back in the days with dyno oil. Technology came a long way in the past 20 years. Only think that I use on old cars is oil with extra zinc additive. It's a better friction additive but not recommended to use with a CAT. It will clog it up.

I use some of those product that remove sludge too in the past right before an oil change. (let the car idle for a bit before draining oil)... diesel does the same job I've been told. Not something I will try on a bike... But hey, that's your bike... glad it's not mine.