Make my FZ6 look like R6

fz6-to-r6

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanting to know if the oem lower fairings and tail piece from a 2008 R6 would fit on my 2008 FZ6. I have searched the internet and found a complete set from front fender to back fender that is meant for a R6 for a good price, and I was hoping that it would fit right on. I would hate to have to buy the pieces seperately, the cost on the side fairings alone meant for a FZ6 were 300 dollars excluding shipping. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
No, it is not plug and play. It is not even close.

Easiest way to make your bike look like an R6 is to buy an R6.

fz6-to-r6

Reaction score
Visit site
I know buying an R6 would be easiest, but I have to go by price. I don't have the money to buy a new R6 and I got a really good deal on A 08 FZ6 so I bought it, knowing I could just do some modification. I guess I will just buy aftermarket pieces meant for the FZ6. I saw a tail piece that looked like a R1 tail. And I think the windscreen and mirrors should be a replacement I could do myself.
Thanks for the input

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Yes, and no. The body fairings will be the right size and roughly the right configuration, but you will need to determine where you will mount to the bike and fabricate the mounting hardware, you will also need to trim the top of the lower fairings to develop a seamless fit with the bottom of your FZ fairing as well as determine how to attach the two together. The 2008 R6 Lower fairing will extend further out over the front tire and not look natural.

The R6 tail would either require a complete swap of the subframe, and you would definitely have to reconfigure the mounting points, or fitting the plastics over the existing subframe, in either case you would have to figure out how to mount your undertail exhaust or abandon it for a side or bottom exhaust.

The only true question is how skilled are you at modding and fabricating. Good luck if you go for it :thumbup:Here is a scaled version of the lower R6 fairing on the FZ6 set at the proper mounting points on the engine and frame:

picture.php

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd rather have an R6 if I didn't hate the sporty riding position! The FZ6 is a very nice bike but a post stating "make my FZ6 look like an R6" is just wishful thinking. They are different bikes (except for the engine - and even then the internals have been messed with).

Buy a lower fairing for the FZ6 and a seat cowl if you want it to look more sporty. The TCP cowl looks the best. Search this forum for the fairings. Yamaha do a nice one. I have it. Check my site like!

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen R6's for fairly good prices. By the time you take an FZ and mod, the money spent could buy a nice used R6.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
That FZ6 will never look like an R6. If you really want to mod it; have your goal to just make the FZ6 look really sporty. Underbelly and seat cowl are good starts. Maybe get some FZ1 bars (or clipons), take off parts like passenger pegs, fender, chain guard, centerstand and maybe get a sportier windshield.

You can blacken out stuff like the radiator and rearsets -- maybe get the rearsets raised, etc.

I did most of the above (but didn't blacken out the rearsets). I eventually ended up trading for an R6.

Try to enjoy the FZ6 for what it is.

Dennis