Major Issue With The2Wheels Levers

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
i have erci's old set and they are faded as well. i don't really mind the bronze color, though black would have been preferred. maybe philz or someone with an extra set could leave them out in the sun upside down (exposing unfaded surface) to confirm that it's the sun's effect. if you really wanted to experiment, you could apply soap/cleaner to a section, wax to another, oil/grease (motor and human) or anything else that may come in contact with the levers and see what their effects are combined with the sun. sounds like a decent science project for somebody's kid on summer break.

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
6d60a764-55c3-51c7.jpg
OMy set of 2wheels levers is ok, no fading. The mirrors on the other hand started to fade to a nice brown color :) They are Tomok knock-offs but look and feel real nice, and for 70$ delivered they were a bargain. I think I got them off 2wheels as well but not sure. I keep a cover on my bike every night and during daytime sits at the office parking underground.
Forgot to mention that both mirrors and levers are almost one year old and on the mirrors only the mirror body and the connection bit got discolored, the shaft between is dark as night. I guess it depends on the different types of manufacturing, maybe some of the guys working on those plants steal some of the chemicals involved in the whole process :)

Last edited:

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
maybe philz or someone with an extra set could leave them out in the sun upside down (exposing unfaded surface) to confirm that it's the sun's effect.

Yeah, I can do that. Will leave them in the garden for a bit and let you know what happens (although it's currently the wettest "summer" on record right now so I'm not sure what this sun is that you speak of)

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
So after sending some additional pics to The2Wheels of both levers as requested, they have decided to send me a new set free of charge!

I am however a little concerned that the new set will fade over time or with an extended period of sun exposure just like my current set did, so I expressed this in my email and asked if these new ones will be treated differently. If not, I will prob see if they can send me a silver set to avoid any coloration issues.

Gotta give these guys credit for coming through and offering me a free set. As others have said before, great customer service :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So after sending some additional pics to The2Wheels of both levers as requested, they have decided to send me a new set free of charge!

I am however a little concerned that the new set will fade over time or with an extended period of sun exposure just like my current set did, so I expressed this in my email and asked if these new ones will be treated differently. If not, I will prob see if they can send me a silver set to avoid any coloration issues.

Gotta give these guys credit for coming through and offering me a free set. As others have said before, great customer service :thumbup:

Definitely awesome service, but yeah.. I'm pretty sure new set will fade too :(

I'm thinking it might be worth it to treat them with 303 protectant .. and do it often. (Look it up.. it's really good stuff).

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
After seeing that mine didn't loose any color since I got them 1 year ago I think that you have a good chance of having a good set.

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I can do that. Will leave them in the garden for a bit and let you know what happens (although it's currently the wettest "summer" on record right now so I'm not sure what this sun is that you speak of)

UPDATE :

I don't have a pic but the tops of my original levers are bronze but the bottom is still black so I'd say that it's definitely the sun which faded them.

Got my replacements fitted and they look fine so far, fingers crossed they stay that way. If they fade I think I'll be going for silver ones in the future.

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the black levers, red adjuster and park outside my office on the street from 9-5.

after 1 month they're faded and bronze.. I'd heard of it happening but was figuring if I had to replace them once a year no biggie, but for a month of life it kind of sucks. I'm rather dissapointed.
getting another set wouldn't really fix the issue... I wonder if there's a spray paint that would hold up to the kind of usage these parts see?

cmyers

Reaction score
Visit site
what about disassembling the levers and coating the levers in plasti dip

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8zGCMSWl6g]Plasti Dip Motorcycle Parts - How-To and Guide from DipYourCar.com - YouTube[/ame]

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Plasti-dip peels off, so I wouldn't recommend it for any high friction surfaces.

Interestingly, I've had mine for several months and they still look exactly the same as they did when I received them. (silver, unanodised levers, black bar mounts and blue adjusters)

Cheers,
Rick

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the black levers with titanium coloured adjuster, they sit in daylight for at least 8 hours 5 days a week and no fading. Its not all sun as there is shadow at some points of the day but nothing has changed. I'll post if it does

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
but you might wanna go with the SPF 100!!!
714082003_640.jpg
:BLAA:

So, I have the black levers with the titanium adjusters. Those 2 parts Look good but the hinged section between the lever and the pivot is fading. To me it looks like the levers are powder coated and the section thats fading on mine is machined and anodized. So the anodized section is loosing its pigment from the sun. SPF 100! YA!!!!!! lol
Then again so are the knuckle protectors on my gloves! :eek:

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the black levers, red adjuster and park outside my office on the street from 9-5.

after 1 month they're faded and bronze.. I'd heard of it happening but was figuring if I had to replace them once a year no biggie, but for a month of life it kind of sucks. I'm rather dissapointed.
getting another set wouldn't really fix the issue... I wonder if there's a spray paint that would hold up to the kind of usage these parts see?

When did you buy yours?

As I said above, I've actually had 2 sets of these levers in the past 18 months on my other bikes and they were perfect, no fading at all but the set I bought for my FZ a few months ago have faded so I'm just thinking that there's been a bad batch that a few of us have bought.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site

Just take pics and send to the company, they will be happy to offer you a new set free of charge. You can always go with the silver un aodized replacement levers like I did and then you will never have to worry about fading.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: the preload adjusters on my R6 forks are faded badly. No longer are they an intense blue like new. . . but for $150 yaMAN! They look great to me!

Point: Even authentic OEM anodizing fades; it just takes longer. . .
Just piece is visible here
picture.php

Last edited:

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
When did you buy yours?

As I said above, I've actually had 2 sets of these levers in the past 18 months on my other bikes and they were perfect, no fading at all but the set I bought for my FZ a few months ago have faded so I'm just thinking that there's been a bad batch that a few of us have bought.

a month ago as I said.

after a month of sun they're brown.

I have a blue set on my ninja 500 that wasn't 2 wheels and it didn't fade at all in 2 years.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Me thinks its either some bad batches....or more specifically certain colors. I bought the green shorties and I have had no fading. Mostly kept in the shade, but several hours a day my bike gets sun.

Seems like black are more prone to the fading.....