Main ignition switch

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For reasons that would take too long to explain, I haven't ridden my FZ6 for a long time. I never re-assembled it after having it painted because of the aforementioned reasons, and the fact that I lost the key while it was apart. I've since moved to a new house, and the key never turned up in all of the packing and unpacking. I checked everywhere. Ironically, the last time I saw it was when I took it to get spares cut, but the place that said they could do it over the phone told me they couldn't when I showed up with the key. I did double back there to make sure they didn't keep it; if they did, they aren't giving it up.

Anway, I called every locksmith in the book and got a hard NO from every single one of them when I asked if they could do anything for me. They all asked the make of the bike, and when I said Yamaha they couldn't hang up the phone fast enough. I did find one who recommended I remove the ignition switch and bring it to a locksmith (not him, one of his friends) who might be able to help. I'm afraid I'll run into problems with the ECU if I have a reluctant locksmith poke at it with his tools.

I've been completely unmotivated to do anything about this problem until recently, and thought I would consult with the experts while also learning what I can online. If you were me, what would you do at this point?

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing... right after posting I was seriously considering having to part out this bike when came across the key! I had carefully packed it away along with the gas cap. That makes sense, because removing the tank and removing the cap from the tank would have been the last thing I did with the key. I must have tried to make copies before disassembly, not after.

I can just hear myself thinking that packing they key with the gas cap would be a good way to not lose it.

I'm not moving another muscle on the bike until have spare keys.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing... right after posting I was seriously considering having to part out this bike when came across the key! I had carefully packed it away along with the gas cap. That makes sense, because removing the tank and removing the cap from the tank would have been the last thing I did with the key. I must have tried to make copies before disassembly, not after.

I can just hear myself thinking that packing they key with the gas cap would be a good way to not lose it.

I'm not moving another muscle on the bike until have spare keys.

Whew!!!!

Post up some pictures of the repainted bike when you can. I too had an acc.. er, I mean a 'reason that would take too long to explain' :) . Diesel fuel on an on-ramp....

Went from this:

Attachments

• _AXM5065.jpg
    _AXM5065.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 10

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whew!!!!

Post up some pictures of the repainted bike when you can. I too had an acc.. er, I mean a 'reason that would take too long to explain' :) . Diesel fuel on an on-ramp....

Went from this:
...to this...

This is the work-in-progress shot. Was waiting for additional rim tape and had yet to adjust the chain...

Attachments

• 20210627_161034.jpg
    20210627_161034.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 15

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
...to this...

This is the work-in-progress shot. Was waiting for additional rim tape and had yet to adjust the chain...

Looking good. I like those tank pads, and will probably look for some like that myself.

I'll certainly post some pictures when I get it back together. Fingers crossed no gremlins have been at work in the meantime, and everything works as expected. It was running flawlessly when disassembled and has been kept under cover in a climate controlled garage since then. Assuming I don't run into anything else, I am planning to do the brakes including new braided lines, chain and sprockets, possibly clutch and throttle cables, and maybe some new levers. I also did an embarassingly half-assed job of installing the rear turn signals when I did the fender eliminator and need to go back through and do it right. Oh, and get hi/lo beam back.

fazerSide.png

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking good. I like those tank pads, and will probably look for some like that myself.

I'll certainly post some pictures when I get it back together. Fingers crossed no gremlins have been at work in the meantime, and everything works as expected. It was running flawlessly when disassembled and has been kept under cover in a climate controlled garage since then. Assuming I don't run into anything else, I am planning to do the brakes including new braided lines, chain and sprockets, possibly clutch and throttle cables, and maybe some new levers. I also did an embarassingly half-assed job of installing the rear turn signals when I did the fender eliminator and need to go back through and do it right. Oh, and get hi/lo beam back.

View attachment 74733

Looking good. Hope all goes well as you finish up.