Lowside...repairs

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
It finally happened yesterday. I came around a mountain corner a little too quickly and the corner turned more sharply to the left than I have anticipated. I was wide around the corner and then saw the gravel spilled on the road from an intersecting road. I put on the brakes to straighten up instead of hitting the gravel on the lean, but didn't have enough space to stop. On the side of the road were some weeds and then a concrete runoff trench. I had to lowside the bike rather then skate into the trench head on. Came to a rest with the wheels hanging over the edge of the trench. Luckily I had slowed down enough that the skid wasn't too bad. Still, I am kicking myself and second-guessing what I did. I didn't even think, just reacted. No injuries and the bike ran fine but now I have to take care of the cosmetic damages to the bike.

She went down on the left side, and being a naked bike, the frame and tank have some scratches on them, the side stand, and of course the crankcase. The slider saved the bike a ton, although the bolt was bent back about 30 degrees. Any tips for repairs. Only one scratch on the tank looks to be down to the metal but the rest look to have just gone through the clear coat only. My tank is the pearly white color, so not sure if I which paint would match that or if I should just use some scratch repair and loads of wax. The crankcase will need to be sanded down and repaint, and the frame possibly just touched-up and polished. I haven't really found any info on median grade scratches on here except for repainting, so any advice would be appreciated.

joshfz6.2008

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to hear about the bike but glad your ok, but some words of wisdom

"everyone crashes, some get back on, some don't, some can't"

but if you search there is a company that makes that yamaha touchup paint but can't remember the name of it, they even have the black for the motor, and available in spray cans

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
sorry to hear about the bike but glad your ok, but some words of wisdom

"everyone crashes, some get back on, some don't, some can't"

but if you search there is a company that makes that yamaha touchup paint but can't remember the name of it, they even have the black for the motor, and available in spray cans

I'd be very surprised if Yamaha Motorcycle Paint - ColorRite - ColorRite didn't have what was needed....

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'm going to find some colorrite and some quixx and see if that does the deal. My mechanic laughed at me and said I'll likely fall again some time, so what is the point in making it all pretty again. He's a funny fella, but I still want my girl to look nice. Cheers. :rockon:

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me know if you find the right crankcase cover paint. I too dropped my bike at the weekend and need some touch up paint.