Low speed knocking and play in side stand.

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

got a couple of little niggles with my bike, wondering if anyone else has experienced the same?

First thing I noticed the other day is a lot of play in the side stand. With the side stand up, there's lots of play left to right. When I put the bike on it, the foot of the stand slides outwards by an inch or two. Is this normal? I checked and re-torqued the attachment bolt, that seems fine, it's as though the pivot hole has worn. Maybe it's always been that way and I just haven't noticed?

The other thing that worried me this morning was a knocking whilst I was going round a corner at low speed. It was as if someone was tapping my footpegs with a hammer and it was proportional with the speed of the bike. I just checked around the bike and noticed my chain was over-tightened by the mechanic who fitted new tyres last week. I'll get that sorted but can't imagine it would cause knocking.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers, Jon

k.mcgeachen

Reaction score
Visit site
Low speed knocking was most likely just chain slap. What gear/RPM were you at? at low RPM's the stream of power from the motor is not as consistent as is at higher RPM's which can cause chain slap. Also may have happened because of the over tightened chain. good luck.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Get that chain re-adjusted ASAP. If its really tight, it causing un-necessary wear on the engine sprocket bearing (besides the axel bearings/chain etc).

While re-setting the chain play, check nuts and bolts and anywhere he was working, make sure everything is torqued correctly. If he can't adust a chain correctly, I'd be leary about anything else he wrenched on.

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
Aah, chain slap, now I didn't think of that. Makes sense now you mention it. I'll be sure to get it adjusted when i get home tonight and have a good look over the rear suspension etc.

I was dissapointed to find it so tight after being in the shop. They fitted new tyres and Pumped the rear upto nearly 50psi :eek: !!!

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
If its too tight, how's it going to slop about?[/QUO

Point taken, though it's over tight not overly tight if you see what I mean. There's less sag than the handbook suggests but it's not under excessive strain.

I'll see what comes of loosening it off a bit and hopefully the knocking will not come back. If it does we'll know it's not the chain!

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know if you have one, but the center stand can also move a bit up and down when hitting bumps, causing a knocking sound.

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
Well what a ****ty end to the day. Got within 2 miles of home and the bike wouldn't go round corners. Pulled over to find 2 nails in a dead flat rear tyre. Great, it's only 2 weeks old!

Anyway, **** happens. Rear wheel off, chain cleaned, cush drive, sprocket & hub checked over, no problems. Gonna put it down to a one off and see how it goes when it's all back together properly! I'll be doing it this time, not the biff who changed the tyre. I also found out when removing the rear wheel he'd massively over torqued the wheel nut. Will be having words!

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I got the rear wheel and tyre to the dealer today and as luck has it they said it could be repaired. £30 later and I got a plugged hole and a re-inflated tyre.

Spent the last hour getting it all back together. That brake caliper bracket's a pain huh! Anyway, wheel is on and chain tension and tyre pressure sorted, here's hoping there's no funny noises in the morning on the way to work!

As for the side stand I'll pull the bolt and check it out. I'd like to think it's not worn as the bike is only 8 months old! Although I have put 9500 miles on it already! :)

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Careful using the plugged word on this forum, the play in the side stand, yes i came across the same thing yesterday my stand got real stiff all of a sudden when i got it free i noticed heaps of play.