Low side crash videos

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
I find it amusing that the patrolman felt the need to drive the 5 feet forward to the bike that just dropped before getting out

I wonder if he re-positioned the cop car closer to the crashed motorcycle to better protect the biker and crashed vehicle from on-coming traffic. I know emergency personnel sometimes do the same with their vehicles (ambulances, fire trucks) when there's a crash. They actually position them in such a way to protect the site. Just wondering if it was a truly good intention, or if Mr. Donuts was just lazy. :confused:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Somebody should sent that link on "Busa Falconer" to the state CHP headquarters. Maybe CHP can track down who this guy is and get him to give officers some pointers on how to ride their service BMW's. Around here, I feel that the CHP motorcycle officers ride way too consvervatively. (Gee, I wonder if Busa Falconer lane splits on LA area streets)

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
The officer is in a horrible position, and was a contributing factor to that crash. He did not physically cause the crash, but his car was enough to cause the rider to lose concentration mid-apex and dump the bike.

Poor positioning on the cops part! I'm hoping the officer was simply finishing a crash report from a previous accident instead of merely being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Hell with that. You can't blame the cop for ****. The moron on the bike should know better than to jab the front brakes when at a full lean. There are cops all over the dragon sitting in the run-offs on the side, no one complains about bike spontaneously falling over because someone came around a curve and saw one. Would it have made a difference if the cop was driving and happened to be at that point when the rider came through? of course not (other than him probably hitting the bike...). People need to learn some responsibility. The only one controlling the bike and the only one who can be blamed for wrecking the bike is the rider.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hell with that. You can't blame the cop for ****. The moron on the bike should know better than to jab the front brakes when at a full lean. There are cops all over the dragon sitting in the run-offs on the side, no one complains about bike spontaneously falling over because someone came around a curve and saw one. Would it have made a difference if the cop was driving and happened to be at that point when the rider came through? of course not (other than him probably hitting the bike...). People need to learn some responsibility. The only one controlling the bike and the only one who can be blamed for wrecking the bike is the rider.

I would have to agree with you on this. Don't know how anyone can blame the cop, he's off the side of the road. If a rider can't control his or her bike by being distracted for any reason, they have no business being there in the first place.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site

I can see both sides.

The person riding should have more skill before attempting this run. But you cant expect much from people who where tennis shoes while running....

Although I do not think the CHP should have been there, i personally thing it would have been a lot safer for both parties if the CHP was positioned in a way that the officer is seen while in more of a strait away or when finishing out a turn.

It is the rider's fault for going down 95% of the time, and these instances are no different. But i do have to agree, there may have been one or more less bikes/riders go down if officers did not try to hide themselves in blind corners.

Just my $.02...
Travis Walthall

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, 99.9% of the lowsides could have been avoided if they did not chop their throttles.

Once the throttle is cracked on. It is rolled on evenly, smoothly, and constantly throught the remainder of the turn.

- Keith Code, A Twist of the Wrist II:thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, 99.9% of the lowsides could have been avoided if they did not chop their throttles.

Once the throttle is cracked on. It is rolled on evenly, smoothly, and constantly throught the remainder of the turn.

- Keith Code, A Twist of the Wrist II:thumbup:

Thank you for that! I was scratching my head over some of these crashes. It's hard to really see/hear by video and I was thinking---what happened? I didn't see gravel, oil spot, moisture, sand, or something on the road.When entering a corner not fast enough or too slow, I endeavor (because a lot is riding on it!) not to---as you put it---"chop" the throttle or abruptly and recklessly apply the brakes. If this weren't the case, geesh, riders would be seen going down by the dozens everyday, everywhere. There's gotta be something more than just simply leaning to the degree shown on the video to cause a rider to crash.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, here's my review how about yours?

Video 1: GSX750

His form was horrible he was looking out over the view instead of through the turn, wasn't leaning at all, and just the tiny bit of throttle he gave at the exit, combined with the always questionable quality of the center of the lane and poor position on the bike was enough to break the rear.

2nd video: Kawa?

Think everyone can see he poked his head up like a gopher and jabbed the brakes, might as well have thrown the bike down and jumped off. The cop moved up to protect him from someone comming the other direction. He might have gotten a ticket for obstructing traffic or something (if the cop was imo a jerk, kick the guy when he's down) He wasn't going that fast, the yellow speed limit on most turns is a suggested speed limit not the posted speed limit.

3rd Video: R6 into the guardrail

Guy was still on the brakes and off the throttle when he tipped the bike in "Get all your braking done before you start your turn-in."
-Keith Codes Twist of the Wrist Vol I & II
Front forks get over compressed, rear gets unweights and air lacks traction. He also paniced a bit turned the front tire into the turn after he had felt as if he had leaned over to far.

4th video: R6 rides it into the guardrail

Classic example of target fixation. Sounds like he missed first and hit neutral. Double whammy. Missing first when riding hard is in a sharp corner tough to deal with. Last trip up the 3-Sisters I missed a down-shift from second to first in a sharp as hell 15mph blind down hill off chamber corner, went a bit over the double yellow before I was comfortable standing it up enough to pop it into first and re-assert the throttle and get around the corner. Other option was to try to hold the lean through the turn, but not being able to control the throttle and that likely would have ended up like the previous video.

5th Video: R1 save

Guy got too brave with the throttle and got lucky on the recovery.

6th Video: R1 lowside

Guy got too brave with the throttle and got unlucky on the recovery.

7th Video: Busa

Wish I could ride that that jeez. Busa's are heavy and long, seeing it move like that is like watching a shark in water. I don't understand how some guys can ride like that and others just can't, even though thier form and throttle control seems just as good. I think on the edge like that it's 80% skill 20% pure luck.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Classic example of target fixation. Sounds like he missed first and hit neutral. Double whammy. Missing first when riding hard is in a sharp corner tough to deal with. Last trip up the 3-Sisters I missed a down-shift from second to first in a sharp as hell 15mph blind down hill off chamber corner, went a bit over the double yellow before I was comfortable standing it up enough to pop it into first and re-assert the throttle and get around the corner. Other option was to try to hold the lean through the turn, but not being able to control the throttle and that likely would have ended up like the previous video.

I would rather see someone shift UP into 2nd again rather than down into first. We're on the street, not the track, so it's not a race :cheer:

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
In the first three videos, it appears the riders were really not going that fast.
I`m surprised at how easy the bikes slid out from under the riders.

If you look at the dirt beside the road when the bikes slide off you can see lots of fine dust being kicked up. You don't need much of this blown across the road to make it a bit greasy.
So why doesn't the guy on the 'Busa fall off??
Look at his riding style, he's hanging right off the bike and looking at the apex of the bend almost over his inside hand, meaning he doesn't have to lean so far and more tyre is in contact with the road. A couple of the other guys are looking over their fairing screen when they slide.
It's not all about grinding your pegs.
Smart riding. :thumbup: