Low beam headlight adapter

nsandrews

Reaction score
Visit site
I think my left headlight (from the rider's perspective sitting on the bike, low beam) is missing the adapter needed to connect an H7 bulb to the wiring connector. It looks like the previous owner threw out the old adapter with the burnt out light or something because the bulb that was in there was an H4 bulb that was hacked up to fit. I tried to find the part number for a new adapter but the parts diagram is weird (I went through bike bandit). It shows the H7 bulb on the RIGHT side of the bike (from the riders perspective) with a part label Socket cord assembly 2 (#5, part number 1196144). Is that the correct part? The left side is shown with an H4 bulb though. On my motorcycle, the high beam comes through the right side and the low beam was always on the left. I have a 2004 btw, if for some reason that matters. Are my lights switched, is the diagram wrong, am I wrong on the type of bulbs going to their respective sides?
Thanks for the help

The standard wiring/SOCKETS (all referals as you sit on the bike):

STOCK SETUP (2007 model):

H7-single element- LEFT SIDE. Always on low beam
H4-dual element- RIGHT SIDE. Only operates high beam (no low beam) (un-less modified)

IE:

H7 PIAA | H7 XTreme White Plus Single Halogen Bulb #70755

H4 PIAA | H4 XTreme White Plus Single Halogen Bulb #70456

Seems, at least per Partzilla, that adapter is on opposite sides comparing the 07 model to the 04 model(new to me!):

07 model: Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W HEADLIGHT Diagram

04 model: Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2004 FZ6 - FZ600SS HEADLIGHT Diagram

In either case, you do need that adapter

Last edited:
The standard wiring/SOCKETS (all referals as you sit on the bike):

STOCK SETUP (2007 model):

H7-single element- LEFT SIDE. Always on low beam
H4-dual element- RIGHT SIDE. Only operates high beam (no low beam) (un-less modified)

IE:

H7 PIAA | H7 XTreme White Plus Single Halogen Bulb #70755

H4 PIAA | H4 XTreme White Plus Single Halogen Bulb #70456

Seems, at least per Partzilla, that adapter is on opposite sides comparing the 07 model to the 04 model(new to me!):

07 model: Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W HEADLIGHT Diagram

04 model: Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2004 FZ6 - FZ600SS HEADLIGHT Diagram

In either case, you do need that adapter

Thanks for the clarification! However, an H7 bulb only has two prongs and that is the bulb that goes into the left side, correct? If that's the case, wouldn't the adapter need to be on the left side as the headlight connector is a 3 prong on the left side (I ride a 2004)? The high beam is an H4 bulb and I can't see any adapter on my bike, which is strange considering the parts diagram indicates otherwise. Do you think it'd be okay to simply order the 2004 adapter even though its on the wrong side and use it anyways?

Thanks for the clarification! However, an H7 bulb only has two prongs and that is the bulb that goes into the left side, correct? If that's the case, wouldn't the adapter need to be on the left side as the headlight connector is a 3 prong on the left side (I ride a 2004)? The high beam is an H4 bulb and I can't see any adapter on my bike, which is strange considering the parts diagram indicates otherwise. Do you think it'd be okay to simply order the 2004 adapter even though its on the wrong side and use it anyways?

You are correct,

Just looked at mine after pulling off both side harnesses to the bulbs.

The H7 bulb itself has TWO, MUCH SMALLER PRONGS. The adapter, plugs onto that and makes the prongs NOW much WIDER and LARGER (still two prongs). (left side while seated). The Yamaha harness has a much larger plug than the bulb, thus the need for the adapter.

The H4 bulb plug (3 pronges) plug direct into the harness, no adapter needed, just plug in. Both the bulb and harness are the same size..

Does that help?

Last edited:
You're not the only forum member who is having headlight adapter issues, leftside or lowbeam. Randy aka "Final Impact" sent me this link, I don't want to purchase an entire harness assembly, just the connectors.

Headlight connectors

You are correct,

Just looked at mine after pulling off both side harnesses to the bulbs.

The H7 bulb itself has TWO, MUCH SMALLER PRONGS. The adapter, plugs onto that and makes the prongs NOW much WIDER and LARGER (still two prongs). (left side while seated). The Yamaha harness has a much larger plug than the bulb, thus the need for the adapter.

The H4 bulb plug (3 pronges) plug direct into the harness, no adapter needed, just plug in. Both the bulb and harness are the same size..

Does that help?

That's what I figured, I have the H7 bulb already which is what clued me into the fact that an adapter was needed. However, the parts diagram does not match what is going on with my motorcycle. The diagram shows the adapter being on the RIGHT side, which is the H4 bulb for the high beam. However, the adapter should go on the LEFT side as that is the side with the H7 bulb. So in reality, it's the LEFT side that needs the adapter (like it is on the 07 parts diagram) because the left side requires an H7 bulb. I just don't want to order the wrong part is all haha it's weird that the parts diagram is flipped compared to what is actually on my 04. I also don't think that the actual headlights are flipped on my bike because my friend's stock 05 fz6 had the low beam on the left and the high beam on the right from what I remember.

You're not the only forum member who is having headlight adapter issues, leftside or lowbeam. Randy aka "Final Impact" sent me this link, I don't want to purchase an entire harness assembly, just the connectors.

Headlight connectors

I have the H4 connector with the wiring and all that already, I'm missing the adapter piece that allows the two prong H7 bulb to connect to the H4-shaped connector on the bike. I'm having trouble finding the correct part because the parts diagram for the 04 fz6 has the adapter on the right side of the bike as opposed to the left side where I thought was the correct headlight for the low beam, H7 bulb. Unless for some reason on the 04's the high beam is supposed to be in the left housing instead of the right housing where it currently is on my motorcycle?

If your friends 05 is like my 07 (which I thought was the same), the parts fisch is wrong.

If you double check the parts # for that adapter, I'll bet both adapters are the same #. Doesn't really matter what side it goes in, it just changes the "pattern " of the plug, if you would...

**Just checked, its the same part # for BOTH bikes and is about $6.00**

BTW, the BD43 headlight mod is an additional wire that plugs into the factory harness and goes over to the right side and allows both high beam AND LOW BEAM from the right bulb...

Last edited:
If your friends 05 is like my 07 (which I thought was the same), the parts fisch is wrong.

If you double check the parts # for that adapter, I'll bet both adapters are the same #. Doesn't really matter what side it goes in, it just changes the "pattern " of the plug, if you would...

**Just checked, its the same part # for BOTH bikes and is about $6.00**

BTW, the BD43 headlight mod is an additional wire that plugs into the factory harness and goes over to the right side and allows both high beam AND LOW BEAM from the right bulb...

Ahh that's a relief, thank you for checking that. I can't believe I didn't think to compare the parts numbers myself haha common sense is a wonderful thing to possess.

As for the mod, I saw a bunch of threads about it when I searched for a fix for this issue. I think I'm going to end up doing that because it looks much better aesthetically and I'm sure it helps with visibility. Right now I ride with the high beams during the day for visibility purposes(although this is not entirely legal and slightly inconsiderate of others), so it'd be a worthwhile mod for me. Thanks for the info on it's proper name though, I found all sorts of variations of the mod and I'm sure that's the proper way to go about doing it :thumbup:

Back